Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

When the US President comes to your hotel ...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

When the US President comes to your hotel ...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2017, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Musken
Why not rather inform guests a few hours in advance so that one can plan around it. The president`s schedule is official so it shouldn`t be that difficult. But there might be a reason??

We met one employee in the elevator saying to us that we would have to avoid a certain entrance but would not say why (but we got the point when we saw the secret service people).
They told me they weren´t informed themself.......
Old Jul 1, 2017, 2:22 am

Making the President's exact schedule and movement known to the public poses a security risk. It's on a need to know basis, and even staff likely are not informed until shortly beforehand.

The hotel should inform guests that a high profile guest will be in house and that there will be heightened security measures in place. They cannot disclose who the guest even is, just like they would not confirm or deny anyone's presence at the hotel to an unverified third party.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 4:48 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Making the President's exact schedule and movement known to the public poses a security risk. It's on a need to know basis, and even staff likely are not informed until shortly beforehand.
If the POTUS is dependent on "security by obscurity" to stay out of harm's way, then the POTUS is in serious trouble unless and until living in absolute isolation from the public.

Hotels used for POTUS stays involve hotel staff figuring it out well beforehand. Restaurant visits are another story.
Old Jul 1, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
If the POTUS is dependent on "security by obscurity" to stay out of harm's way, then the POTUS is in serious trouble unless and until living in absolute isolation from the public.

Hotels used for POTUS stays involve hotel staff figuring it out well beforehand. Restaurant visits are another story.
Of course he is not dependent on obscurity for security reasons, but it is a factor.

Of course management and individual staff members are well aware of the Preident's schedule and the security measures. Front line employees aren't given every detail unless they need to know.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
When we stay at The Intercontinental Sydney we say if its good enough for George Bush then it's good enough for us.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Musken
When we stayed at FS in San Fransisco, Obama visited for a meeting. We were about to leave, my husband was out picking up our rental car, and suddenly the lobby, elevator and all floors were full of security wearing black suits and sunglasses (just like a film), bomb dogs and you name it. Obama himself would arrive only 3 or 4 hours later, but it was already a nightmare. We were not even allowed to go in and out, had to decide whether to wait inside our outside with our luggage. Husband was not allowed to go to the most convenient entrance (below at the parking), but had to stop at the front, but not allowed even close to the entrance itself. Noone explained why, all was very secret but we found out later that Obama was there. He was still the president back then.
We were happy to leave.
Had our car towed in Sydney from our permit parking zone out from of our place in The Rocks. George Bush was just driving down our streetstreet so overnight they changed all the permit parking signs to no parking then towed our car away and left it on another street. End of the story was they couldn't remember where they parked it so we eventually walked for ages and found it where they had left it unlocked. Oh and we got a ticket which i refused to pay.

Yes I'd be happy not to stay with a President
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
When we stay at The Intercontinental Sydney we say if its good enough for George Bush then it's good enough for us.
That's something that doesn't affect me. Often prominent people stay for special reasons (f.e. security) or hotel has the most exclusive suite in town while other rooms aren't on par. Also I guess Bush or Obama won't mention much differences in service quality over the world.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
That's something that doesn't affect me. Often prominent people stay for special reasons (f.e. security) or hotel has the most exclusive suite in town while other rooms aren't on par. Also I guess Bush or Obama won't mention much differences in service quality over the world.
Of course. For sure, the POTUS is not going to get bad service anywhere, and there are logistical and security considerations. Often those needs are best met by taking a few floors of a big box hotel to accommodate entourage and for security purposes.

That has zero to do with how the average guest will be treated at that hotel. Normal guests will usually be better off at a smaller luxury property.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 6:11 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Had our car towed in Sydney from our permit parking zone out from of our place in The Rocks. George Bush was just driving down our streetstreet so overnight they changed all the permit parking signs to no parking then towed our car away and left it on another street. End of the story was they couldn't remember where they parked it so we eventually walked for ages and found it where they had left it unlocked. Oh and we got a ticket which i refused to pay.

Yes I'd be happy not to stay with a President
As someone who used to work in East Midtown NYC and got to see the U.N. general assembly security fun many a time, I will run as far as possible from where a head of state is staying while I am on vacation. It is half security theater, half real security issues but 100% a pain in the rear!

personally, I would be furious if a real luxury property let someone as vvip as POTUS ( or a former POTUS) stay without warning guests in advance about not being able to deliver their advertised product
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:12 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
personally, I would be furious if a real luxury property let someone as vvip as POTUS ( or a former POTUS) stay without warning guests in advance about not being able to deliver their advertised product[/QUOTE]

That alone (the forewarning) is a major security issue and would render said luxury property highly innapropriate to host POTUS. Hotels like the prestige of hosting a sitting President, and often offer great discounts, especially international hotels who are more able to guess that POTUS is coming. Now, I do think they should offer major discounts to affected guests.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:18 am

Location: San Francisco, CA & Bangkok (Home)/Lawrenceville & Switzerland (Boarding School)/Baltimore, MD (College)
Programs: DL DM, AL MVPG 75K, SQ Gold, BA Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriot Plat, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Of course he is not dependent on obscurity for security reasons, but it is a factor.

Of course management and individual staff members are well aware of the Preident's schedule and the security measures. Front line employees aren't given every detail unless they need to know.
Going to school in the DC area, I've encountered a few people with experience in Presidential travel. Most Presidential staffers do not know the destination before hand, just being told they will be gone x days starting x date. A few years ago when I was a freshman, I dated a Marine who worked in the White House Military Office attached to P. Obama. He said domestically, hotels don't get forewarned that a president is staying. Instead, the US gov books huge blocks of rooms for "conferences" or other events. As the US gov is one of the largest purchasers of hotel rooms, it isn't too unusual. Also able to negotiate rate this way,
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:28 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quinlanty

That alone (the forewarning) is a major security issue and would render said luxury property highly innapropriate to host POTUS. Hotels like the prestige of hosting a sitting President, and often offer great discounts, especially international hotels who are more able to guess that POTUS is coming. Now, I do think they should offer major discounts to affected guests.
"Security by obscurity" is a joke when it comes to POTUS hotel stays for visits to foreign countries announced prior to POTUS departure from the US and visit completion.

Of every foreign visit involving a hotel stay made by a US POTUS in the past 30 years, a visit scheduled and announced earlier makes it jokingly easy to figure out where the POTUS is staying if a competent person desires to invest the effort to do so.

If the POTUS is dependent upon obscurity for security during foreign visits previously announced, then the USSS and others in the security game have messed up. While I think that hotels really shouldn't be making prior announcements about who will be staying or who has stayed as a guest in a private capacity at a hotel, that's a privacy issue rather than a security issue -- but public figures are a different story, especially when operating in a public capacity.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Quinlanty
Going to school in the DC area, I've encountered a few people with experience in Presidential travel. Most Presidential staffers do not know the destination before hand, just being told they will be gone x days starting x date. A few years ago when I was a freshman, I dated a Marine who worked in the White House Military Office attached to P. Obama. He said domestically, hotels don't get forewarned that a president is staying. Instead, the US gov books huge blocks of rooms for "conferences" or other events. As the US gov is one of the largest purchasers of hotel rooms, it isn't too unusual. Also able to negotiate rate this way,
As someone with some experience in this area, I know that most foreign visits by a POTUS have their destination known by just about anyone who cares to know. Even those unpaid interns.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by offerendum
We say it in a goofing off manner btw.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 11:30 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

Programs: We love to Fly, Hotels and Discovery
While not the POTUS...but...

We remember when Putin/Medvedev stayed at the Hyatt Regency in Warsaw, the huge Russian Embassy is located nearby.

Extra security measures incl. airport style security, plus visible security details, no photos allowed either, later at the airport we spotted their plane/planes, no photos either allowed as told by security guard.

As for our "troubles" due to extra security in the hotel we received a Vodka gift box/glass set. Memorable...today the hotel isn't with Hyatt anymore, but it still calls itself the Regent hotel Warsaw. [No affiliation with the Regent chain of luxury hotels].

This was a few years ago, but it's good to remember.

Cheers & Safe Travels.
^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.