Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton v JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2006, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Ritz Carlton v JW Marriott Kuala Lumpur

I have searched this subject .. but it's split about 50/50 .......

Which property is better? I know they are nearly next door to each other so location isn't important. I suppose it's really down to

a) quality of the lounge
b) quality of the room
c) quality of service

I'm Marriott Rewards top tier member, too ....

Who's going to help me decide?!?!
Old Aug 9, 2006, 11:26 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
I've stayed in both and didn't care for either. I had a Club Room @ the Ritz w/ Butler served breakfast. Room was very dated, but lounge is OK. Room at JW was slightly better, but lounge was poor. Pehaps I'd take the JW if I were a Platinum MR membr (I'm Gold). I had to pass thru a metal detector each time returning to the RC.

It is the worst RC I've been in (compared to Seoul, & Singapore). It was the worst JW I've been in (compared to Las Vegas & Ihilani).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:07 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
same experience, not impressed at all. I would stay elsewhere, there is certainly a better property than this in KL

Originally Posted by NWA-PLAT
I had a Club Room @ the Ritz w/ Butler served breakfast. Room was very dated, but lounge is OK. .

It is the worst RC I've been in (compared to Seoul, & Singapore).
Old Aug 10, 2006, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Pen or SLH, but there are >

Regent
Mandarin
Shangri-La
Old Aug 10, 2006, 11:32 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just been to the RC, but like the above posters, not impressed. Certainly must have been the CHEAPEST RC in the world back when I stayed there though, maybe that's some compensation.
Old Aug 11, 2006, 6:32 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
No Pen or SLH, but there are >

Regent
Mandarin
Shangri-La
I was not impressed at all by the Shangri-La KUL...... reminded me more of a Fairmont or Inter-Continental Hotel as opposed to a top tier luxury hotel like Pen, Four Seasons, etc....
Old Aug 25, 2006, 1:49 am

RC KL is nothing special

Had a return stay at the Ritz Carlton KL this past weekend. My previous stay was 4 years ago and quite satisfactory; I was especially impressed by the service.

This recent stay was disappointing. First, the positives: the low rate, but then most 5-stars in KL offer very low corporate rates, and the spacious, nicely renovated room - understated, casual elegance, without the minimalist cliche.

However, the service has gone downhill. They seemed to be understaffed, everywhere, throughout my 2-night stay. The staff lacked the polish, knowledge and professionalism that I recall from my previous stay and certainly from other RCs in the US.

The worst part is their so-called Club Lounge. Unlike my previous stay, this time my corporate rate includes club lounge access, and I was looking forward to their 5 daily food & beverage presentations. However, their offerings are nothing comparable to the RCs in the US. They only put out bite-size portions of a few dishes, more amuse-bouche than even a light first course. They use tiny soy sauce dishes and Chinese soup spoons to serve their food. The beverage selection is also very limited. No fresh juices, liqueurs, champagne. Just your basic soft drinks, wine, beers, tea/coffee and basic alcoholic drinks like gin & tonic.

I spoke with the staff, and they said that since the Ritz Carlton Residence Tower opened last year, they relocated the club lounge from the 19/F of the hotel to the lobby of the Residence Tower, and opened lounge access to all the residence as well as the hotel guests. They also have limited budget and can't provide much anymore. In fact, the first night during their 'petit fours' service from 8-10:30pm, I got there at 9:45pm, and they had run out of cake. (They only serve 1 type of cake, plus 2 mini cookies and 1 mini brownie during this service.) They said their budget allows only 2 small cakes per night. To their credit, after I expressed my disappointment, they asked around and were able to obtain an extra cake 15 minutes later. But they are obviously heavily budget-constrained.

Their website still mentions their exclusive club lounge (erroneously listed as on the 19/F, when in fact they no longer have a club floor), and all the rates do include club lounge access.

For their low room rate, I really couldn't complain much. But don't expect much food & beverage selections from their club lounge. By the way, the rooms come with free broadband internet, and you can also use one of their 3 PCs at the lounge.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 5:24 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, oneworld Emerald
Any recent updates? Got two flex bookings for the same date in Jan, rate is nearly identical, which to pick?

Or is it really that bad and I better stay at Majestic or Renaissance, which would be a bit cheaper too? (Need to pick a Marriott property, so stick to their portfolio.)
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:59 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by barracuda93
Any recent updates? Got two flex bookings for the same date in Jan, rate is nearly identical, which to pick?

Or is it really that bad and I better stay at Majestic or Renaissance, which would be a bit cheaper too? (Need to pick a Marriott property, so stick to their portfolio.)
As this thread is 11 years old, some of the information may be out of date. Therefore, I am locking the thread and am asking barracuda93to please post his query in the FT Marriott Forum
Thanks..
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels and Travel

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.