Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best Beach Resort/hotel in March under $700/night?

Old Oct 30, 17, 6:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM

Milestone birthday ahead and seeking a beautiful beach destination in March. Challenge is that it will be in high season and I'd like to keep it under $700/night for lodging only and any on-site restaurant(s) must be able to cater to gluten-free needs. Location can be anywhere in the world. Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Oct 30, 17, 7:40 pm

There are definitely options in Thailand for that price level ฿20,000~ ++. For room only.

You can research various options. Join mailing lists on resort websites, as they sometimes send out special offers.

I would also suggest joining Anantara Privilege program/GHA, and signing up for their mailing list. I am a fan of Anantara hotels, and they occasionally send out flash sale offers and other promotions.

March may be possible at Rayavadee, Ritz-Carlton Reserve Phulay Bay, Anantara Phuket Layan, Six Senses Yao Noi, etc...

Thereís also Vietnam to consider. Four Seasons Nam Hai, Six Senses, Anantara, InterContinental, etc... Aman probably over budget, but could check for offers anyway.

Why donít you come back with some specific ideas, and perhaps people might be able to help more.
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 17, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

what kind of beautiful beach destination?

hopefully some can comment re gluten

best value is asia followed by south of USA
- las alamandas for example has reports here

something 'different' after including fees
- 665 amankila - Undiscovered (3 night minimum)

unfortunately parrot cay rates no longer flat

pay attention to offers / free nights
or if willing to do nonrefundable
especially if 700 including fees

- sixsenses.com/resorts/con-dao/offers
americanexpressfhr.com/fhr/offers
FHR has been repeating aman too
have to wait for things like FHR

some luxury hotels have rentals at great rates
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 17, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Gluten free might be easier in the USA.
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Oct 31, 17, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Thanks, all. Re: what type of beautiful beach...

Have some mobility issues which means treks and excursions are out right now, so it really is all about the view/beach itself being in a beautiful place so we can take in the scenery right in front of us at the property. So it will mostly be time at the beach (not really pool people). Second to that is great food and not having to cook on vacation. This is why/how we've ended up in Anguilla so often - it's the right mix of beautiful water and chef-driven restaurants, with several that can accommodate GF needs. We are currently booked there in March, but have time to make a change to the trip and were thinking because of the milestone it might be time to switch it up and venture out on a longer flight some place that is new to us. We've kept waiting to go over to Asia until I could walk further and explore, but at some point one shouldn't keep putting things off! Our plan was to still squeeze AXA in another time this Spring, hence the smaller $700/night budget for the March trip, but if you have a once-in-a-lifetime great food + relaxing beach that is worth inflating the budget by sacrificing other 2018 travel, then I'm open to hearing about that too, but it'd have to be pretty special.
I had Amanpulo on my short list for this previously, but after the Aman ownership switch, it seemed like people on this forum haven't been experiencing the same types of service that made it legendary in the past, so I figured it might not be worth it. Had I made more physical progress, we also looked into Bali or Bhutan (no beach obviously, this was if I could do excursions), but both seem beyond my scope right now. Mention them because it was my desire to do something out of the ordinary, which now could be filled by just going a bit further than we have been.

Thanks again for your tips and any insights.

Last edited by umbrella007; Oct 31, 17 at 12:45 pm
Old Oct 31, 17, 9:40 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Amanpulo is just fine, and absolutely worth it.
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 17, 1:18 am

What about Cayo Espanto? You might have to stretch the budget but the rates are all in. Perfect resort for a relaxing beach/pool holiday. There's not much to walk, island is tiny.
umbrella007 likes this.
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:15 am
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by chinmoylad View Post
Amanpulo is just fine, and absolutely worth it.
Is it actually worth more than double the nightly rate of Kila or Nusa?
Old Nov 1, 17, 9:29 am

Because of your mobility issues I feel it's important to have a great view and easy access to the water. For this reason I'm suggesting the Pearl Beach Resort on Bora Bora. This hotel is not as expensive as the FS or the St Regis but is, in my view, the best option. It has BY FAR the finest view of any hotel on Bora Bora and it doesn't overlook the rows of overwater bungalows of other hotels. The Pearl is on its own motu and has the absolute drop-dead gorgeous classic view. It also has a genuine Polynesian ambience. Go for an end-of-pontoon bungalow and you won't need to leave it and you just gently ease yourself off your deck and into the lagoon.
umbrella007 and obscure2k like this.
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

pulo is low density unlike maldives etc
less than brando, fregate, laucala, north
825+ after FHR 4th free sep 1 to dec 19

sounds like room by beach also good for OP
umbrella007 likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Nov 1, 17 at 10:19 am
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:07 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | SPG | Hyatt Prive
Originally Posted by A4K View Post
Amankila is a very unique experience (and Amanusa is a very underrated resort, and a great 'starting point' (or finishing point) for Bali).

Amanpulo is not really comparable to these - I'd compare it to something like the Maldives. And it's far, far better value. Where it does fail is that the accommodation, while nice, isn't amazing by any means (think Cheval Blanc Randheli as a comparison). The casitas are good value, though - and I think the villas can be very nice too for bigger parties. The 1-bedroom villas are particularly the ones I'm not a huge fan of - and they're quite pricey (essentially an extra ~USD 900/night++ for a private pool and more space/garden etc).

But in simple terms to answer your question, yes, yes it is worth more than double the nightly rate of Kila or Nusa.

But try to go during good season as the beach on the more popular side of the island is definitely not as nice during low season (still nice, but all relative).
umbrella007 and nmuva98 like this.
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:29 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by A4K View Post
Kila is not very good for OP due to mobility issues. Nusa could be a nice option...
umbrella007 and FlyerEC like this.
Old Nov 1, 17, 10:44 am

Programs: No program whatsoever
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10 View Post
Kila is not very good for OP due to mobility issues. Nusa could be a nice option...
I might be in the minority here, but I actually enjoyed Nusa a great deal.
I would check, however, whether the Shangri-la construction is at a stage at which is hinders enjoyment of the beach club.
umbrella007 and FlyerEC like this.
Old Nov 3, 17, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Gluten free might be easier in the USA.
Not true - I have never had a problem with dietary requests in Asia, as long as you stay in a great hotel
FlyerEC and umbrella007 like this.
Old Nov 3, 17, 6:08 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle View Post
Not true - I have never had a problem with dietary requests in Asia, as long as you stay in a great hotel
Originally Posted by 0bsidian View Post
I might be in the minority here, but I actually enjoyed Nusa a great deal.
I would check, however, whether the Shangri-la construction is at a stage at which is hinders enjoyment of the beach club.
Originally Posted by Cityflyer10 View Post
Kila is “ ok “ if you can manage a few steps as long as you do not mind not going to the bar / main dining area and alright with getting to the top tier pool / library / gallery level via back of the house !
Have managed with injuries including foot , etc fractures ..
For Nusa , it maybe tricky getting to the main pool area .

Gluten free won ‘ t be an issue at Amans , just limits what you can have from their yummy menus but they are able to modify . Off menu is available , let them know in advance if you like something in particular

As for Pulo , it is indeed special and warrants the inconvenience in getting there . Have not returned since Tapa moved to AmanSS though .
callmedtop and umbrella007 like this.

Last edited by FlyerEC; Nov 16, 17 at 5:18 pm

Search this Thread
Search Engine: