Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has the Four Seasons organization lost its advantage

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2006, 7:11 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Blue/IC Royal Ambassador/LeadinghotelsRegular
I agree wit the original post, for me 4 Seasons is a safe bet. you will always get a lovely room and excellent service... But it doesnt offer that "something different" that boutique hotels might offer with similar service and more modern surroundings...
Having said all that, i have always been more than happy with our 4Seasons stays... I cannot say the same about Fairmounts which to me suffer from dated rooms and poor service.. not a chain you can count on. We have had very bad experiences in the Fairmont in whistler....
Old Apr 4, 2006, 3:19 pm

Programs: UA slave, DL hostage, HGP tool, HH captive, SPG reject
Originally Posted by Blumie
Here at the FS Chicago, I have a very nice executive suite ... that my grandmother would have loved. It's decorated like the Waldorf Towers: very old world.
yeah i got an exec suite last time, went inside, took one look at it, went back downstairs and asked to cancel my reservation.

font desk was very apologetic and started the cancellation process. then he mentioned that there was a room that had been remodelled for demo purposes as they were thinking about remodelling. he took me up to see it and it was done in the modern style with earth tones, and most importantly it had separate shower/tub. we happily accepted the change to this room.

FS' great service makes up for the poor rooms they have.
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:03 pm
In memoriam

Originally Posted by dreamytraveller
I agree wit the original post, for me 4 Seasons is a safe bet. you will always get a lovely room and excellent service... But it doesnt offer that "something different" that boutique hotels might offer with similar service and more modern surroundings...
Having said all that, i have always been more than happy with our 4Seasons stays... I cannot say the same about Fairmounts which to me suffer from dated rooms and poor service.. not a chain you can count on. We have had very bad experiences in the Fairmont in whistler....
I agree about "safe" - and I am just curious what "boutique" hotels you've liked (in the US if possible since that's where I travel the most)? When I read reviews of most - the majority sound like they're "hip" - but not really terrific in terms of service/cleanliness/amenities - the kinds of things I just take for granted at a Four Seasons (even if some of them are somewhat antiquated in terms of furnishings).

Some of them seem downright hostile to paying guests (closing off areas which should be open to hotel guests for things like private pool parties). My favorite reviews are the "in-depth" ones in the Wall Street Journal (where the reviewer is traveling incognito with a *very* generous budget).

In other words - I think that most Four Seasons I've stayed at are "classy" - they treat paying guests the way they ought to be treated.

Four Seasons aren't the only hotels that do this. My favorite story along these lines is I once stayed at the Greenbriar - many many years ago (we're probably talking early 80's). Retirement present for inlaws. I didn't play golf - so I booked a tennis session with the pro while the rest of the family played golf. Got a call that morning - and the pro said that Alexander Haig was playing tennis - he was a big shot then - and he insisted on having empty courts on both sides "for security reasons" when he played. So I couldn't play (I was booked next to him). I went to management - told the story - and Alexander Haig was told that he would be treated like any other guest - one tennis game - one court. I played - he didn't.

Now maybe if we'd been talking about the President of the United States - the result would have been different. But for anyone less than the President (the Chief Justice of the US Supreme Court was also a guest that weekend - and we enjoyed meeting him during "cocktail hour") - all guests were - well guests. No guest was better than any other guest - and all got the same - excellent - service. That is a far cry from how the reporter from the WSJ gets treated at some of these new "hip" hotels these days (i.e., she gets excluded from the pool because famous people are having drinks and want to be alone). Robyn
Old Apr 4, 2006, 4:18 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hilton*D, Marriott*LG, Hyatt*G
I like the fact that at all of the FS Hotels I have stayed have had 4 hour express dry-cleaning or laundry at the same price as standard laundry. No Express surcharge. The 24 hour, 1 hour pressing service is fantastic too.

While physical plant is important, what is the use of staying in a gorgeous newly refurbished room on a Sunday night but cannot get your suit pressed until Monday morning (after your morning appointment) because the hotel doesn't offer that service?
Old Jul 10, 2007, 5:00 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by Blumie
I feel incredibly disloyal posting this thread, but ...

I'm sitting here in a lovely room at the Four Seasons Chicago thinking about how I wish I had been able to get into the Peninsula.

Don't get me wrong: the Four Seasons organization is absolutely first class. What I love about their properties is a guarantee of a very nice and comfortable room and outstanding service.

Yet, while I have no complaints at all about their service, their properties don't impress me the way they once did.

Here at the FS Chicago, I have a very nice executive suite ... that my grandmother would have loved. It's decorated like the Waldorf Towers: very old world. I thought this was great once upon a time, but I find that I now much prefer the more contemporary look of properties like the Peninsula. The bathroom is dated, too. At least it has a separate shower; so many of FS's properties don't.

As others have expressed in the past, I've now come around to the view that it's time for FS to substantially remake many of their properties to bring them into the 21st century. A FS hotel still is a guarantee of great, great service, but with others catching up in the service department, they're going to need to offer more to maintain their edge.
Could not agree with you more. The Four Seasons Chicago is a very nice property, but is no longer the uber hotel in Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets sold off in the coming years and Four Seasons trys to buy or build another property. Moreover, their meeting and banquet facilities are lacking and the personnel very inflexible. We decided to go with the Peninsula to host our wedding after finding the FS sales team to be inflexible.
Old Jul 16, 2007, 4:12 pm
In memoriam

It's clear that in major metro/resort areas (and even some minor ones) - hotels are playing "leapfrog". For example - we'll be at the Four Seasons Scottdale in a couple of weeks visiting my brother. It has just started a major renovation. Surprising - because the property is only 7 years old.

Our local Ritz Carlton (Amelia Island) renovated its dated rooms a couple of years ago - and just completed a brand new - very large - spa.

This is going on in similar facilities too. For example - I play golf at the TPC at Sawgrass (I live in the neighborhood). Last year it tore down a serviceable but dated clubhouse (approximately 20,000 sf) and replaced it with a McMansion (77,000 sf). When golf tourists are paying $200+ to play a round of golf - they want an impressive club house.

I think we will continue to see this kind of building and renovation as long as the global economy continues to prosper. And all luxury properties that keep up will continue to prosper. Robyn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.