Wiki Posts
Search

The Ritz London

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2005, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
The Ritz London

Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? I would like to try it because of the location, but it sounds a bit stuffy, even by London standards. Any special rooms, views, I should consider? Before anyone starts on other hotels, we have (often) been to the Dorchester, Lanesborough, MO, but have eventually found them wanting in some regard. Thanks for any input -
Old Apr 9, 2005, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bruiser
Has anyone stayed at this hotel recently? I would like to try it because of the location, but it sounds a bit stuffy, even by London standards. Any special rooms, views, I should consider? Before anyone starts on other hotels, we have (often) been to the Dorchester, Lanesborough, MO, but have eventually found them wanting in some regard. Thanks for any input -
I realize I am answering my own question, but it doesn't sound like anyone has stayed at the Ritz lately - any good reasons for that?
Old Apr 9, 2005, 5:42 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
I have never stayed at the Ritz, but notice that the reviews on Trip Advisor are very mediocre. I have personally heard that some of the rooms are rather small. The Green Park view is the one to get. We have had drinks at the Ritz a couple of times and were always treated very well by the staff, although we were not staying. I have also heard that breakfast in the dining room is fantastic.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:32 am

I've stayed there a couple years ago.

I thought it was very stuffy, and did not justify its huge expense.

There are much better hotels in London, IMHO.

Claridges, Savoy, Four Seasons, Mandarn Oriental are all preferable. I even prefer many of the chain hotels such as the Hyatt Churchill.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Try the new Soho Hotel if you want something different - very, very highly regarded and a new build. Or One Aldwych, which most under-40's seem to rate as the best in town.
Old Apr 13, 2005, 11:27 am

The Ritz got a so-so review in the March issue of Gourmet (all London). If you want that area; try The Stafford around the corner. It's really wonderful, intimate country house type with a terrific staff. Have tea at the Ritz if you must.

Jane in PHL
Old Apr 14, 2005, 6:08 pm

Programs: AA ExPLT
If you want to be right in that area, I think I would go with the FS. It is consistant and never disappoints. Something smaller that would be charming but more like a boutique is Dukes Hotel - just a street or two behind the Ritz. We love the Athenaeum Hotel and Apartments which is just a block or so down Picadilly towards Hyde Park - but some rooms there are very small and you would want to book a park view (Green, not Hyde) suite or if you are there several nights - one of the apartments.
Old Apr 22, 2005, 7:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - we will give the Dorchester another shot - mainly because of the great beds - and see how they do with our Hyde Park view request this time!
Old Apr 24, 2005, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K GS, Marriott LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, Avis Chairman, Hertz PC, National EE
The last time I visited was back during the Millennium celebration. My stay was very comfortable, but I do agree with previous post that the atomosphere was a bit stuffy. The restaurant was suberb, as I had an 8 course Christmas dinner in their dinning room. There are many more options in London, and I would suggest Mandarin Oriental Hyde Park or the Four Seasons. Both are spectacular!
Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA Ex Plat, AA 2 million miler,Concierge Key, BA Ex Gold, One World Emerald
Claridges, a close second the Dorchester.
Ritz is terribly overpriced and "busy" regardless of the guards at the doors. Yes, Claridges has its traffic but they seem , how should one say, much more civilized.
That being said, for a great dinning experience, try the Ritz for dinner. Its traditional but the service and food are wonderful. A bit of a fairy tale experience.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 1:31 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Stay at the Mayfair

Its great. I was just there for the 2nd time since March, this past weekend. It is around the corner from the Ritz and it is dead quiet as it is on Stratton Street which is not a main road. They have great weekend specials and is not stuffy. Rooms are large by London standards and they have just had a major renovation completed. Hopping bar area if you like that sort of thing.

It is a Radisson Edwardian Hotel but don't be put off by the Radisson name it is a high standard.

Be warned....London is ridiculously expensive. This is my 27th time there and I was experiencing sticker shock. Buy an Oyster Card for Underground/bus/DLR as it will save you money over the travel card. Get this, if you just bought 1 ticket for the underground, point A to point B it is 4 GBP = $8.00 for one ride......
Old Jun 2, 2007, 12:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
Its worth noting that the Ritz has just opened a modest new wing - they bought a town house that backed on to the hotel and which overlooks the park. The rooms here are presumably state of the art.

The Mayfair (the old InterCon) is impressive, though - I was there for a conference a few months ago. Good location as well for the expensive shops! Not sure why they put the Radisson Edwardian brand on it since it is very, very modern - but then there is also a brand new RE opening at Canary Wharf soon so what do I know?!
Old Jun 3, 2007, 7:52 am

I don't think the Ritz is the best Hotel in London by any means.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 10:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
The Mayfair is nice new modern hotel i stayed there for a few weeks big B&O tvs in the rooms and more my style than the other two but it may have more style than substance its great for drinks but as a hotel its 7 out of 10 Top's as it lacks the personal touch that hotels such as Claridges. Dorchester where you cant go wrong with ChinaTang for dinner and even the Grill room, I feel the Ritz is living off past glories if you want the Ritz experince go to Paris.
Old Jun 3, 2007, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Just noticed that the OP was from over 2 years ago. Wonder if they liked the Dorchester. I personally think that unless you are a movie star or an oil sheik you don't get the service/style at the Dorchester that one should get when paying their prices.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.