Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 12, 2018, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
Print Wikipost

Amanpulo, Philippines (Consolidated/review thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
Unfortunately not. It was already booked when we asked as there is only one.
We stayed in a treetop pool casita. Even at full occupancy you see very few guests. We used to go at the beach close to the picnic grove as it was always so quiet. The gym is also very nice, we never saw other people there except the Amanpulo coach.

Wow. great pics. The Tree top pool casita also looks great!

I didn't realize that there was only one 1 bedroom villa...

Decisions, decisions, decisions...

Thanks
FDW
Old Apr 19, 2016, 7:48 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
We really like the beach casitas & being able to get to the beach easily .
Sometimes even swimming to the beach club rather than walking on the cool sand .
I had the " beach boys " place the paddle board on the beach in front of our casita , above the water line . Easier to get to during dawn & for sunrise / moonset photography
Though I am in the pool , like daily , at home , I prefer swimming in the sea at Pulo . Or longer pools like at Kila or the Nusa / Pulo main pool .
So the pool casita was ok but buggying to the beach is not my cup of tea , & if I forgot something buggying up or having our butler retrieve wasn't what I care to do ..
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:25 am
Aman Contributor Badge

If you decide to go for a villa:

Could ask for 2 or 3 BR to be made into 1 BR if one of those are free. They just close off one or more of the bedrooms. Did that for us.

Butler is not at all intrusive. You agree with him how to handle things. Either he is "allowed" to enter the villa and for example prepare breakfast or serve you morning coffee after a certain point of time or you agree with him that he should only come after you have called for him. There is a special butler number on your villa phone. He has a butler area where also your private chef is which is in good distance from the villa area so that you will not see and hear them, but they will be there in no time if you need them.

Last edited by Musken; Apr 20, 2016 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 20, 2016, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Lots of Tocay's ... which are unbelievably cute ... and a little noisy.

I like them so much^ I really Need to visit Pulo! 2018 I hope....
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:05 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Short stay: Amanpulo, Palawan, Philippines

Hello all - it's been a while since my last real interaction on here, and certainly since my last review - though I have stayed at many hotels since. I really need to get up to scratch.

Usual caveat DISCLAIMER: I was hosted by Amanpulo, but am under no obligation to write a review on FlyerTalk

Without wishing to be too hard-sell, please do feel free to contact me to enjoy exclusive Virtuoso benefits, and at Amanpulo certainly, a little bit extra! Best way to reach me is via email: [email protected].

WHEN TO GO

Best time to go is January - May. As much as possible, avoid June - November due to mixture of typhoons and heavy rain (both very unpredictable - if there's no typhoon or rain, typically it'll be very clear, very sunny, and also very hot and humid during these months).

GETTING THERE AND ARRIVAL

First of all, this is VERY VERY easy to get to considering the paradise that it is. Surprisingly easy. You get picked up at Manila airport, whisked off to their private lounge at the hangar (approx 10-30 min drive away - Manila traffic can be bad). From there, it's a 1 hour small flight direct to the island which has its own runway. The plane is operated by Island Aviation, but is run exclusively for Amanpulo guests only. Holds about 20 guests - typically tends to be 'full' or near capacity as its the only way to really get to the island from Manila: made up of a mix of guests + Manila/local staff. The plane timings (both from Manila to the island, and vice versa) are typically arranged according to international flight arrivals from Hong Kong and Japan, Amanpulo's two biggest markets.

I took the 9.30am Cathay Pacific from Hong Kong and was at the island by 2pm. Would have been earlier but for a delay in taking off from Manila.

Once you're at the island, greeted by the relevant staff and given a quick tour of the island on the golf buggy before being taken to your casita. Each casita gets their own golf buggy to drive around, as well as two bicycles. The island is quite large (in comparison to Maldivian islands) - 2km at its longest, 500m at its widest - so you will need the golf buggy/bikes to ride around.

It is possible to circumnavigate the island by walking along the coast, which takes approx 90 minutes.

There is not much on the Eastern side of the island, as this is where the runway cuts in. Most development is on the west.

ROOM TYPES

Only 40 rooms (called casitas) here, and an additional 20 (1, 2 and 4-bedroom) villas when all the villas are completed by end of this year. Listed from least expensive to most expensive below...
  • Treetop casita - Elevated, but doesn't enjoy much of a view
  • Hillside casita - similar to treetop, but slightly more elevated thus giving a view
  • Beach casita - with a private beachfront entrance. This is the one most clients want to be in, and this also makes up for 29 of the 40 casitas.
  • Deluxe hillside casita - similar to hillside, better position for views. Same price as beach casita.
  • Treetop pool casita - similar to treetop, but with a (very sizeable) private plunge pool. Same price as beach casita.
  • 1, 2, 4 bedroom villas - Very similar to the beach casita, except for the enormous outdoor space afforded (multiple salas) and private pool.
  • The 2- and 4-bedroom villas are unlike any other villas I've seen in Southeast Asia or at Aman. They are almost individual casitas around a central common space - it's difficult to explain, but it's not the same as what you would imagine if you've seen villas around Phuket or at Amanpuri. These are really individual casitas and could almost operate as such...
  • Room style is classic Aman. Definitely wouldn't describe it as contemporary or sleek minimalist - more finely aged. Some might argue it's quite dated, but no one could argue the upkeep is fantastic. The bathrooms have been renovated very recently to do away with large marble tubs and replace with separate twin vanities (and a his and hers section) and a freestanding tub.
Will make a point that overall, wasn't as 'impressed' with the architecture/design at Amanpulo (but it's still nice!) in comparison to somewhere like Amankila, Amanusa, Amanpuri etc.

ACTIVITIES

The beach, really. Everyone I know who has been here has said "this is the best beach in the world" - seasoned travellers who have been to Turks & Caicos, Maldives, Fiji, etc etc...high praise. From my relatively limited experience, they aren't wrong. This is far better than anything in the Maldives. Very, very high silica content. Very white, very soft - almost feels and looks like plain flour. Sea is very pristine and clear.

Clubhouse houses the main pool area. This is also marginally elevated and enjoys some nice views. There are some fantastically private salas and resting areas around the pool and behind it.

There is also a "West Villa Clubhouse" that is usually closed off. This also has a pool, and if you want complete privacy (but no pool attendant) this is the place to go enjoy a swim. They usually open this up for weddings, receptions, large groups etc so they can keep the main clubhouse still running. Also used occassionally for group exercises/yoga.

Beach club is of course right on the beach. Non-motorised sports (complimentary, including kayaking and snorkeling trips start here).

Re snorkeling - one difference between Maldives and Amanpulo is that at Maldives, a lot of the coral is quite close to the shore. Here, it is far away. So while it is possible to go snorkeling from your beach casita if you're a strong swimmer, suggest just doing the snorkeling trips instead which take you to certain spots around the island. Sting rays further out, and I'm told some incredible diving if you're into it.

I went snorkeling with 2 metre long reef tip sharks and 1.5m long giant sea turtles. And fish. Tons of fish.

Make a note that coral here isn't as wild, vibrant, plentiful or colourful as that in the Maldives or some other destinations.

There's a dedicated spa, which not all the Southeast Asian Amans have (especially Bali). Very nice looking spa, but didn't try it out personally.

Kawayan Bar - it's a floating bamboo pontoon out in the sea. Would highly recommend clients do this for at least one evening. They will bring out your favourite drinks and some nibbles to go with it. Great sunsets. Especially in low season, you can often negotiate with sales to add this in for comp in addition to Virtuoso benefits.

If you're a city person like I am, they have a stargazing experienc which will be of interest to city dwellers. Lots of stars at night being so remote. They have a telescope and a dedicated expert who will take you through the various constellations. We got to see Jupiter and its moons close up, and Earth's moon very close up (could make out the individual craters).

There are plenty of other activities including exploring nearby islands. There are two large islands (or island clusters) that envelop Amanpulo. Unlike Amanpulo (which is very flat), these islands are quite hilly. They also have (from what I saw aerially) an incredible coral reef system.

For those who have too much time for their connecting flight on from Manila, Amanpulo also organises short Manila tours.

FOOD

For an Aman and for a resort of this size, there are plenty of options here.
  • Clubhouse has a restaurant open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, serves traditional Filipino and Southeast Asian
  • Picnic Lounge is a casual and quirky/fun place that serves pizzas, salads etc. Only open for lunch.
  • Beach club has a restaurant that is open for breakfast, lunch, dinner, serves a core fare in addition to tapas
  • Lounge Club is on the eastern shore of the island, also by the beach front. Despite its incredible location, however, bizarrely, this is only open for dinner (dark, can't see much) and serves Western grills.
  • And of course, room service.
  • Overall, food varied between average and exceptional. There were a few dishes that were average, but many that were absolutely exceptional.
Some highlights were the traditional Filipino breakfast (not something I'd have every day, but once was interesting) and crab at Clubhouse; grilled salmon in the Lounge.

They also do n incredible private barbecue dinner beachside where the very famous Filipino roasted pork (lechon) is done on a live spit.

Being an Aman, it's not 'molecular gastronomy' or fancy food as such, would describe it more as very refined home-cooked food that just tastes very, very good and something you can have every day.

VIDEOS

I've created little 'walkthrough' videos for you guys to enjoy which may give you a sense of the place.

My beach casita:

1- and 4-bedroom villa:

PHOTOS

Beach casita

Beach just outside my casita! Incredible

Kawayan Bar

Main pool

Gary's Nest

From near the spa

4 bedroom villa

I'm here to answer any questions!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:06 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Was just there end of February. My mini review here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ilippines.html

One thing I forgot to add was that service was seriously good.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:22 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Very timely review! thanks very much!

FDW
Old Apr 20, 2016, 9:27 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
We really like the beach casitas & being able to get to the beach easily .
Sometimes even swimming to the beach club rather than walking on the cool sand .
I had the " beach boys " place the paddle board on the beach in front of our casita , above the water line . Easier to get to during dawn & for sunrise / moonset photography
Though I am in the pool , like daily , at home , I prefer swimming in the sea at Pulo . Or longer pools like at Kila or the Nusa / Pulo main pool .
So the pool casita was ok but buggying to the beach is not my cup of tea , & if I forgot something buggying up or having our butler retrieve wasn't what I care to do ..
Sounds like the sea is quite swimmable.. I very much enjoy that... Amanyara had a nice peaceful swimmable sea..

Originally Posted by Musken
If you decide to go for a villa:

Could ask for 2 or 3 BR to be made into 1 BR if one of those are free. They just close off one or more of the bedrooms. Did that for us.

Butler is not at all intrusive. You agree with him how to handle things. Either he is "allowed" to enter the villa and for example prepare breakfast or serve you morning coffee after a certain point of time or you agree with him that he should only come after you have called for him. There is a special butler number on your villa phone. He has a butler area where also your private chef is which is in good distance from the villa area so that you will not see and hear them, but they will be there in no time if you need them.
Thanks Musken! I read your report many times and loved it... how was the food from your chef? did you find yourself eating in mostly or still venturing out.. I like the package because they have food included; just takes the food cost variable out of things... it's unfortunately not available on the villas

I think this is an old map.. where exactly is the 1 bedroom villa located?? Also are the treetop casitas with pool all located near the Kids club?

thanks
FDW
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:05 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Deleted. Not sure my answer was correct.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu

I think this is an old map.. where exactly is the 1 bedroom villa located??
32. Use this map: Amanpulo

Last edited by mike_la_jolla; Apr 20, 2016 at 10:21 am
Old Apr 20, 2016, 11:45 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Sounds like the sea is quite swimmable.. I very much enjoy that... Amanyara had a nice peaceful swimmable sea..

Thanks Musken! I read your report many times and loved it... how was the food from your chef? did you find yourself eating in mostly or still venturing out.. I like the package because they have food included; just takes the food cost variable out of things... it's unfortunately not available on the villas

I think this is an old map.. where exactly is the 1 bedroom villa located?? Also are the treetop casitas with pool all located near the Kids club?

thanks
FDW
It is number 32 as far as I know - in case things has not changed. In any case you want to be at the same side of the island as where the casitas are since this is by far the nicest beach. I think we were in 33, normally a 2 BR but we used it as a 1 BR.

We ate in all the time after moving to the villa, but we were many days in a casita before moving over to the villa, so we had already tried the food in all the other restaurants. We loved having our own chef who was able to know exactly what we wanted even more than we did. We had him make Indian food and thai food as well as continental food, comfort food and special favourites of our son. One day he prepared fish that we had caught ourselves. He could make really anything we asked for - or would suggest something. Maybe you should split your stay as well? They can pack and move for you so it is really no hassle. Start in a casita though!!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 1:54 pm

Also are the treetop casitas with pool all located near the Kids club?
There are only 2 and yes, they are located just above the kids club in the green part in the map.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:11 pm

I like the package because they have food included; just takes the food cost variable out of things... it's unfortunately not available on the villas

thanks
FDW
Don't forget that Aman(pulo) doesn't nickel and dime. Expenses for food are so reasonable at this resort that I never felt there were huge costs associated with it. Especially in the villas.
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Great, thank you!
Old Apr 20, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: -
Amanpulo full board - Yes or no?

If prices are reasonable, would it not be smart to book the "island escape" rates that include full board?

I know they also include champagne on arrival but I'll probably have more than enough on the ~20hr journey there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.