Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bacara Resort & Spa - Santa Barbara

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:10 pm
Original Poster

Bacara Resort & Spa - Santa Barbara

Looking for some honest feedback on this resort in Santa Barabara. While I would normally go with the Four Seasons - the $695 for a deluxe room(more than Maui) price tag has me looking at other options. I understand that the resort is 10-20 minutes north of town - just want to make sure the $500+ will be worth the 90 minute drive. Ritz Carlton Laguna Nigel to follow this stay. Thanks in advance for your feedback.
Old Sep 12, 2005, 5:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
A search in this forum will yield a number of threads, including:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304416
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:30 am

Stayed at both Bacara and the FS Santa Barbara. FS won hands down for us. Location and service were way better at the FS. Bacara's service was bad, and the location was too out of the way for us. Traffic can get brutal during certain times! Like some of the other people posted...we also felt that they were a bit snobby. The food at the FS was also incredible.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 9:18 am
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
In this forum, I too would suggest searches for "Bacara" and Santa Barbara (although it's actually in Goleta). I had my most recent stay at the Bacara just two weeks ago. I enjoyed my stay, but I question whether I will stay there again. While nothing was glaringly wrong, I just don't get the feeling of home at this property like I do at other places (for example, the Montage in Laguna Beach, which I have been to several times).

What I'm not fond of at the Bacara is the inconsistency in service. One person receives great service, and another lousy. Several different times, I saw people wait an unacceptable amount of time in the Bistro restaurant for meals. And each time they would be given a different excuse. While I did not experience bad service like this, I did the last time, so much so that I had written the F&B director at the hotel about it. Seeing it has not been solved was a real disappointment for me.

The Bacara has generally overall great facilities. The rooms are large and much like a Spanish villa with tile everywhere. There is both a shower and a bath in each room, many with fireplaces, a flat screen TV, DVD player, DSL connection, a giant candle, and Frette Linens on the beds. Most rooms DO NOT have a view of the ocean, unlike other properties. They serve welcome beverages in the lobby on big weeekends, and most weekends are sold out. The main pool has Cabana's (13) for rent. The spa is nice (although I prefer the spa at the Montage down the coast better) and the pools and restaurants general very comfortable. But another downside for me is that the hotel employs a lot of transient college kids from UC Santa Barbara, nearby. This really does not alllow for consistent service, or career-hotel people like you experience at some of the other luxury hotels. True, there are people at the hotel that have been there since it opened in 2001 (I can name several), but I still believe it has a high turnover.

I'd try the Bacara once. But if you've been there, I'd give the FS a try. The Bacara will never see a AAA 5-Diamond or a Mobil 5-Star rating. it just isn't there. But the facilities do earn it a 4 in both rating systems, even if the service doesn't.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 3:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Hyatt GLobalist
I'll be staying at Bacara during the 1st week of October. Booked my trip under the Amex Plat FHR program as they were offering an additional $75 daily dining credit on top of the normal amenities (which include a $100 spa credit). My last stay there was during the summer of 2002. I'll report any interesting observations from my trip.
Old Sep 14, 2005, 7:55 pm

Beware the railroad

Have been to Bacara twice. I thought the resort was very nice, inside and out. Although the non-suite rooms are all very similar in size and layout, many have different "feels" given location (you pay more for fireplace or upstairs). Even if you don't get an ocean view, I would ask to be on the side of the resort closer to the ocean since this is farther from the railroad line. This is the main passenger and freight line between LA and SF, so there is traffic overnight.

If you get your first room and are not thrilled, ask to change. You may get a room in the same class, same size, same furniture (etc.), but it may "feel" completely different! In 2 visits, I've seen about 4 or 5 rooms.
Old Sep 15, 2005, 10:34 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
You will also have the train run right next to the Four Seasons too.
Old Sep 16, 2005, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
The biggest issue for me about the Bacara, is its location. Were it a true destination resort, where I felt I could just park for a few days it would not matter. I do not find this resort that satisfying though, so I would want to get out and see the rest of Santa Barbara. Given that you are about 20 minutes out of town, I would prefer a better location.

The FS is a lovely property and in a good location. It is a much older hotel though, and while there are ongoing upgrades, the rooms, I doubt can ever compete with a new resort such as Bacara. However, that said, I like this location so much better I would put up with the less than modern rooms. One thing to consider however, is that there are some ongoing renovations. I believe the kitchen will be closing in November and moved to a temporary location across the street. I dont know if this will result in one of the restaruants being closed or what. I would suggest that you inquire directly with the hotel as to the status of renovation work for your preferred dates. All too often, in my experience, renovations while they are supposed to be unobtrusive, rarely are.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 1:22 pm

Bacara's finest and final 72-hour summer sale

ENDLESS SUMMER
Hi there -
received this in my email, thought I would pass it on! Enjoy.

Bacara's finest and final 72-hour summer sale kicks off
Monday, August 17 at 8 AM PCT.
Sale ends Thursday, August 20 at 8 AM PCT (sharp).
Check your calendar. Make your plans.

RATES STARTING AT
$249/NIGHT, SUNDAY-WEDNESDAY
$349/NIGHT, THURSDAY-SATURDAY
STAY 24 HOURS
CHECK IN AT 4 PM, CHECK OUT AT 4 PM

Endless Summer is good on travel through October 17, 2009.
Offer is subject to availability and not combinable with any other promotion.
Blackout dates: August 28 & 29, September 4-6.
Old Aug 18, 2009, 3:20 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Hilton Dia, Hyatt Expl, Avis Pres, Hertz Pres, National EE, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by PamelaD
ENDLESS SUMMER
Hi there -
received this in my email, thought I would pass it on! Enjoy.

Bacara's finest and final 72-hour summer sale kicks off
Monday, August 17 at 8 AM PCT.
Sale ends Thursday, August 20 at 8 AM PCT (sharp).
Check your calendar. Make your plans.

RATES STARTING AT
$249/NIGHT, SUNDAY-WEDNESDAY
$349/NIGHT, THURSDAY-SATURDAY
STAY 24 HOURS
CHECK IN AT 4 PM, CHECK OUT AT 4 PM

Endless Summer is good on travel through October 17, 2009.
Offer is subject to availability and not combinable with any other promotion.
Blackout dates: August 28 & 29, September 4-6.
Thanks for sharing, PamelaD. And welcome to Flyertalk!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.