Hotel recommendations along the San Francisco - San Diego route

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 8:43 am
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor Badge

Hotel recommendations along the San Francisco - San Diego route

Hello everyone,

I am planning a trip to california in september, going by car from san francisco down to san diego. I am already pretty sure about the accommodation in the big cities along the way (thanks to everyone who posted in this thread), but what I am looking for now are some nice places along the way to spend a night:

1) Monterey Area
2) Santa Barbara Area
3) LA Area not downtown
4) Norht of San Diego Area

It should be something unique, luxurious, beautiful setting, comfortable rooms, excellent cuisine and not to big - located somewhere close to the coast, as we'll be going down the famous highway one

I found a few places that seem to be nice (1: Lodge at Pebble Beach, Bernardus Lodge - 2: FS Santa Barbara, San Ysidro Ranch - 3: Viceroy Hotel - 4: FS Newport Beach, Montage Resort, RC Laguna Niguel). Maybe anybody could comment on the mentioned ones or make another suggestion?

Any info greatly appreciated!

Best regards, v-r
Old May 24, 2005, 9:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
http://www.postranchinn.com/

http://www.ventanainn.com/

http://www.bacararesort.com/

http://www.stregismonarchbeach.com/

Regarding Pebble Beach, I actually prefer the Inn at Spanish Bay. It feels more relaxed and less stuffy. The food at Roy's is yummy.
Old May 24, 2005, 9:55 am
Community Director Emerita

http://www.surfandsandresort.com/ - right on the sand in Laguna Niguel.
Old May 24, 2005, 11:07 am

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
I love the Surf N Sand in Laguna - right on the beach - deluxe balcony rooms hang out over it. It you want total luxuriousness, though, I'd pick the Montage Resort - incredible with wonderful grounds & restaurants. The Four Seasons Aviara is very nice. I wouldn't do the FS Newport Beach - it's a nice hotel, but not on the water. Next door to my favorite shopping center, Fashion Island, but that's about it. I really enjoyed the Loews in Coronado, but it's been awhile...
Old May 24, 2005, 11:16 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
You might consider staying in Cambria in addition to (or instead of) Santa Barbara. A very charming town that still has some of the old California coast feel (while Carmel and Santa Barbara do not). Located near Hearst castle (which is well worth spending a day touring -- rather surprisingly, it is better in the flesh than in pictures and gives a different perspective on Hearst's life). About half-way from Carmel to Santa Barbara. Some very nice Inn accomodation in Cambria, not ultra-luxurious like Ventana but still nice (see http://www.cambrialodging.worldweb.com/Inns/index.html ).

The hotel suggestions posted above are excellent, just about the best in California (and priced accordingly). September/October is the very best time to tour the coast, and driving south is the way to do it (that puts you on the cliff side of the road, much more dramatic on those switchbacks than driving north; just be sure to rent a good car!). Fog is mostly gone in September, though you might keep that in mind in your planning (early morning driving is not a good idea most of the time).

As an aside, the best hotel in CA will not really match Viennese standard for fine hotels. Most are 2 levels down from the Imperial, for example, though you do get a nicer view. Food and wine does meet or exceed Viennese standards, and now with the new Disney concert hall in LA it might even match Vienna for music on a bad day (not really, but it is a huge improvement for California -- and well worth touring, along with the Getty museum).

Last edited by number_6; May 24, 2005 at 1:06 pm
Old May 24, 2005, 11:36 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
1. I, too, like Spanish Bay better than the Lodge. If you want further south, Post Ranch is very special, and better than Ventana.
2. San Ysidro has it all over the FS, but I believe they were renovating, and am not sure what the status is.
3. Lots of comments here on LA hotels; you should do a search. My favorite is the Peninsula in BH, but some prefer the BelAir or, in Santa Monica, Shutters (though I like Casa del Mar there better).
4. I'm not a major fan of Aviara, and I prefer the rooms at Rancho Valencia.
Of the Orange County possibilities discussed above, I haven't stayed at the Montage, but have heard only good things about it. Probably a much better choice than the St. Regis, which has poor service.
Old May 24, 2005, 12:00 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

In the Los Angeles area, please consider the Hotel Bel Air
http://www.hotelbelair.com/
Old May 24, 2005, 2:14 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
The San Ysidro Ranch is indeed going through a major renovation and is currently closed. Half of the units are opening this thursday and they say they are confident the rest will open by August.
Old May 25, 2005, 1:54 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster

Thanks for all your replies and recommendations, everyone!

There are some really, really nice places you suggested, that I would have never found otherwise! Especially Post Ranch really hit the spot - just seems to be perfect. Same with the Surf & Sand. Now the decisionmaking is going to be tough ...
Old May 25, 2005, 2:14 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Original Poster

Originally Posted by number_6

-You might consider staying in Cambria in addition to (or instead of) Santa Barbara.

-The hotel suggestions posted above are excellent

- September/October is the very best time to tour the coast, and driving south is the way to do it

As an aside, the best hotel in CA will not really match Viennese standard for fine hotels. Most are 2 levels down from the Imperial, for example, though you do get a nicer view. Food and wine does meet or exceed Viennese standards, and now with the new Disney concert hall in LA it might even match Vienna for music on a bad day (not really, but it is a huge improvement for California -- and well worth touring, along with the Getty museum).
Thank you, number_6 - I am glad to hear all that and I wasn't aware of the fact that Cambria is so much nicer - I will definitely make a stop there!

Just read the last paragraph of your post with great enjoyment - I'm happy you liked the Imperial, which surely is a great hotel, along with the Coburg even the nicest one of the city, but it is IMO not really Viennese standard. The other self-proclaimed top-leage ones, Sacher, Bristol, etc. are in desperate need of refurbishment - which is just being undertaken at the Sacher, it will be very nice once completed. And hotel food in Austria is just overpriced and unimpressive (except the great jazz brunch at the Imperial, which is just fantastic) - because Austrians don't like to eat in hotels, strange, but I don't know why.

Well, maybe I'm just too critical. As for the rest, true, there are some really good restaurants in the city, and the wines - especially the styrian ones - are a class of its own.

I'm looking forward to be able to compare all the standards myself soon expecially the wine & food

btw. is the french laundry worth a visit? or some place else I should consider instead?
Old May 25, 2005, 4:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Husband AA EXP (yeah!!) Hya Dia, Marriott
Originally Posted by vienna-resident
I'm looking forward to be able to compare all the standards myself soon expecially the wine & food

btw. is the french laundry worth a visit? or some place else I should consider instead?
The French Laundry is probably the best restaurant in the United States. It is very difficult to get reservations, although they might be easier at lunch. I would book into the most deluxe hotel there & immediately tell the Concierge you must have reservations & that you realize how difficult they are to procur, but really must have them (also somehow subtly let them know you'll be sure & reward them when you get there) - it's worth a try. I believe reservations can only be made 60 days out, so you must start calling that exact morning until you get through.

Check out Chowhound.com - the San Francisco Board for further instructions - a search on 'French Laundry' will yield all kinds of results.

Schöne Gluck!!

P.S. The the Surf N Sand Hotel, be sure & request a 'Deluxe Oceanfront' on the 3rd floor or higher. These have balconies that hang out right over the beach, as opposed to over the pool. If you're into food, though, 'Studio' Restaurant at the Montage Resort is really the best in the area.
Old May 25, 2005, 5:05 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Great choices. Someone mentioned San Ysidro ranch, but it's not on the beach. For Santa Barbara, in addition to Bacara (which is up the coast several miles), also consider http://www.fourseasons.com/santabarbara/.

For Monterey, right on the water (actually, IN the water): http://www.woodsidehotels.com/monterey/monte_home.htm, but there have been some complaints on service. Can't beat the location though.

Second Hotel BelAir (but also not on the beach). For LA beach hotel, consider http://www.shuttersonthebeach.com/.
Old May 25, 2005, 8:27 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by brendamc
The French Laundry is probably the best restaurant in the United States. It is very difficult to get reservations, although they might be easier at lunch.
It might be one of the 10 best restaurants in the world for food -- if it were possible to make such a list. Prices are high to match, though not exorbinant by world standards esp. with current exchange rates (USD 300 per person, and up for special food and wine with no practical limit). While difficult to get a reservation, it is remarkably easy to eat there on the same day (lots of cancellations at the last minute, partly because it is so difficult and partly because of the nature of its clientele and location). Well worth a special trip and effort. Also worthy is Chez Panisse in Berkely, faded from its past glory but still excellent and much cheaper and easy to get into. Ventana used to be fabulous, but now it is just good. Lots of good restaurants in California and you are relatively safe in picking one blindly, most are much like what they seem (very convenient when traveling by car and you don't want to have too much of a fixed schedule).
Old May 25, 2005, 9:20 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
My votes are Bacara in Goleta (north of Santa Barbara) and the Montage in Laguna Beach. See the latest news on the Montage here. A Review I posted is available as a clickthru on the page.

Last edited by jeffreyt; May 25, 2005 at 9:24 pm
Old May 26, 2005, 10:22 am

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by brendamc
I would book into the most deluxe hotel there & immediately tell the Concierge you must have reservations & that you realize how difficult they are to procur, but really must have them (also somehow subtly let them know you'll be sure & reward them when you get there) - it's worth a try.
I've heard that either

www.meadowood.com

or

www.aubergedusoleil.com

holds a table at French Laundry for each day for their guests.

For a quick bite in Napa Valley, I highly recommend this place:

http://www.frenchlaundry.com/bouchon/bouchon.htm

The food is fantastic and their bakery (which is right next door) serves fantastic pastries!!! It's Paris without the jet lag or cigarette smoke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.