Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Hana Maui - Opinions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2005, 8:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott PLT, Starwood, American Gold, Delta
Hotel Hana Maui - Opinions

Does anyone have experience with the Hotel Hana Maui? I know that it has gone through a series of ownership changes and has been undergoing some changes. New owners are the ones who own Post Hotel in Big Sur. An older version of AAA guide had the following to say "did not meet the AAA rating requirements for room dcor/ambiance at time of last evaluation on 11/08/2001". What has happened since? It's fairly pricey. Some guidebooks seem to rate it as wonderful, others are less-favorable. I'm looking for some real life experiences, from travelers!
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
The new owners seem to really care about the property. It has been upgraded and cleaned up. The service can be hap-hazard at time buts the rooms are great, the rooms with ocean views are best although a longer walk from the main building. The rooms are large, baths spacious with soaking tub and seperate shower. The rooms also have a patio or deck. No TV, they have a business center with two computers and a TV. The food was good, not great. The Spa is very nice. I'd happily return but I wouldn't stay for more than a few days. I booked through AMEX Platinum with amenities and room upgrade. The trouble I see with the property is there is no real reason to go. Its a long drive (you can fly Island Air into Hana) and once you are there you are there with not much else to do. If you go to Lanai you have the Lodge and Maneli. When in Hana you are in Hana. If you want to get away from everything this is the place. I love peace and solitude but three days is plenty.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:20 am

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ui_Hawaii.html

i love it. only place on maui i can stand.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 11:25 am

Programs: UA, SPG
Its been a couple of years since I have stayed there but it is my favorite hotel in the US. It is small, and the Sea Ranch Cottages are the only units you should stay in. they are small duplex buildings, each with open beam ceilings, bedroom/living area (living area has dining table and couch) large wet bar, very large tiled bath, and huge sliding doors that open to a spacious deck. Some of the units have jacuzzis on the deck. There is a very tranquil pool area near the cottages with the remainder of the hotel a short walk away. This is a very peaceful, totally tranquil place. There is virtually no noise other than the crashing surf, the wind in the trees, or a passing shower. The hotel restaurant has always been the week point. It aims very high, but then tends to fail. I suspect it is better under the current ownership but still expensive. Hana is a very very small town so there are very limited dining choices. If you are a major foodie I would not recommend Hana. Hana is as you might imagine Hawaii to have been 75 years ago. The town it self has a couple of stores, a gas station and an few blocks of homes. On either side of town, the land opens up to rolling hills and is as lush as any place you will ever see. The drive to Hana is part of the charm as there are hidden (and not so hidden) water falls around every corner. If you are inclined (and I hope you are), there are lots of wonderful trails, hidden beaches, and remote swimming holes waiting to be discovered. There is not much else to do, so just be ready to chill out and turn off the cell phone, and bring a good book. The Cottages were always lovely, and the new decor I have seen on the website looks even better. The hotel beach is a couple of miles away by shuttle or private car. While that may seem undesireable, once you get there you will know instantly the drive was worth it. There is also a spectacular little hidden beach about two blocks from the cottages that the hotel does not advertise because they feel the trail is dangerous. Its not a big deal and is truely awesome. You do have to accept some of the shortcomings of Hana and the hotel. But if your expectations are right you will love it. I would avoid all but the summer months however, as it can be very rainy. Even in the summer you should expect some showers.
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
I think it is an incredible place...but you will tire of the food very quickly. Nevertheless, I vastly prefer it to the Wailea area hotels. It's the only domestic resort that I have found that reminds me of southeast Asia (without the service, mind you).
Old Apr 26, 2005, 10:38 pm

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by kingsroadgal
I think it is an incredible place...but you will tire of the food very quickly. Nevertheless, I vastly prefer it to the Wailea area hotels. It's the only domestic resort that I have found that reminds me of southeast Asia (without the service, mind you).
Agree with previous posts. Lovely setting and rooms and a perfect place to unwind, calm down, or maintain calm. I appreciated it more after a few days at the Ritz Carlton on the other side of the island where I had done my decompression. The restaurant was fine many years ago, but the big problem was the expense (quality/price ratio really) and the lack of alternaives. But if you are looking for beauty and solitude you would be hard preseed to do better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.