Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz-Carlton Chicago

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2005, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Ritz-Carlton Chicago

What's the story with this hotel? I know it is actually a Four Season's hotel. I think the property has actually been called the Ritz-Carlton since it was built in Water Tower Place in the seventies...years before a domestic Ritz-Carlton hotel chain was started in Atlanta. The hotel is often identified as the finest city property in the country, but the Four Seasons chain cannot even bask in the laurels because everyone believes it is part of the Ritz chain. Why didn't Four Seasons change the name? It this why the Ritz hotel chain has no other hotels in Chicago? Does the property have exclusive rights to the hotel name?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
And further obscuring their thinking was the construction of the Four Seasons in the 900 N. Michigan Avenue complex a few years ago. Was that hotel built in anticipation of eventual loss of the management contract at the Water Tower Place hotel?
Old Apr 25, 2005, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, US Air Silver Preferred, BA ExecSilver
It was the Ritz Carlton for years and the Four Seasons chain took over the management several years ago, similar to when they took over the Pierre in New York. It is kind of the poor sister to the FS, in my opinion. It is a nice hotel but much more of an RC than a FS. (I guess they didn't want two FS in one city). As to the why and wherefore, I couldn't say, but I don't think it is one of the finest hotels in the country - have stayed in both and like the FS much better.

Last edited by Bruiser; Apr 25, 2005 at 6:42 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.