Old Nov 5, 2004, 12:37 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Miami Ritz Carlton Options

My Centurion Concierge came back with another good deal:

Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove USD$190 + taxes per room per night
King bedded room with Centurion Benefits

Just want to know has nayone stayed at this hotel before?
Is the location good and is it close to the airport?

When comparing to the other 2 Ritz Carlton in Miami which ones are better?
Old Nov 5, 2004, 6:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I cannot answer your question directly because I've only stayed at the Key Biscayne property (at the recommendation of several FTers), which was fabulous. Based on the rates I've seen for the three RC Miami properties, with cheap rates being offered at the Coconut Grove and South Beach locations even when the Key Biscayne location is showing high rates (or is sold out completely), the Key Biscayne property clearly is the most popular.

There is another thread on the board asking about the South Beach property, which has not received many responses. I, too, would be eager to see reviews of these properties relative to Key Biscayne.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by newcx12345
My Centurion Concierge came back with another good deal:

Ritz Carlton Coconut Grove USD$190 + taxes per room per night
King bedded room with Centurion Benefits

Just want to know has nayone stayed at this hotel before?
Is the location good and is it close to the airport?

When comparing to the other 2 Ritz Carlton in Miami which ones are better?
We stayed there for a few nights in February - it is about 20min from the airport. All three MIA properties are relatively new, witht the Coconut Grove property being established first. I heard reports that, as a result, the CG staff was the best of the three because they had the most experience. Keep in mind that Coconut Grove is a residential area as compared to the South Beach people, which generally has more "fabulous" people. The Key Bisc property seems a little isolated to me. Coconut Grove is a very safe neighborhood, and it's very quiet. The property has way more residential condos than hotel. The pool is very basic - only one pool attendant while we were there - he was very nice and prompt about bringing food and drinks- it was self-service for making up your chair - can't comment on the quality of the spa, though it seemed a little small. Some of the rooms have real lousy views (top floors are condos, so the top of the hotel is actually the middle of the building - there is a second building that is all condos), but I imagine as a centurion you'll get a decent room.

At least some NBA teams stay at the CG property when they play in Miami, so if the Heat are in town you might see some basketball players while you're there.

My summary is that you probably won't have anything to rave about or complain about at CG. If you stay at South Beach, you might love the environment or hate it. All depends what you are looking for.
Old Nov 6, 2004, 10:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold MPO
Originally Posted by vault321
We stayed there for a few nights in February - it is about 20min from the airport. All three MIA properties are relatively new, witht the Coconut Grove property being established first. I heard reports that, as a result, the CG staff was the best of the three because they had the most experience. Keep in mind that Coconut Grove is a residential area as compared to the South Beach people, which generally has more "fabulous" people. The Key Bisc property seems a little isolated to me. Coconut Grove is a very safe neighborhood, and it's very quiet. The property has way more residential condos than hotel. The pool is very basic - only one pool attendant while we were there - he was very nice and prompt about bringing food and drinks- it was self-service for making up your chair - can't comment on the quality of the spa, though it seemed a little small. Some of the rooms have real lousy views (top floors are condos, so the top of the hotel is actually the middle of the building - there is a second building that is all condos), but I imagine as a centurion you'll get a decent room.

At least some NBA teams stay at the CG property when they play in Miami, so if the Heat are in town you might see some basketball players while you're there.

My summary is that you probably won't have anything to rave about or complain about at CG. If you stay at South Beach, you might love the environment or hate it. All depends what you are looking for.

Thanks.

As i have less than 24 hours in Miami, hence I don't really care about activities. Sounds like this is a nice relaxing hotel. The reason why I selected this rather than the Hilton or the Embassy Suites (near the Hotel) is because for 50USD more i get to experience a 5 star hotel and be 100% sure that as a minimum the standard cannot be too bad (I had so many BAD surprises with Hiltons)

I will arrive into MIA @ 9:30pm and dep the following morning @ 1:45pm for BOS.
What do you recommend around that area? or just chill out in the hotel?? Does it have a private beach access?

What restaurants are around the area? Are there some good ones in the hotel? Or should I venture out? (eg. to the MO or other places?)

The centurion rate also has Continental Breakfast provided (what will that be?)
Old Nov 7, 2004, 7:38 am

Originally Posted by newcx12345
Thanks.

As i have less than 24 hours in Miami, hence I don't really care about activities. Sounds like this is a nice relaxing hotel. The reason why I selected this rather than the Hilton or the Embassy Suites (near the Hotel) is because for 50USD more i get to experience a 5 star hotel and be 100% sure that as a minimum the standard cannot be too bad (I had so many BAD surprises with Hiltons)

I will arrive into MIA @ 9:30pm and dep the following morning @ 1:45pm for BOS.
What do you recommend around that area? or just chill out in the hotel?? Does it have a private beach access?

What restaurants are around the area? Are there some good ones in the hotel? Or should I venture out? (eg. to the MO or other places?)

The centurion rate also has Continental Breakfast provided (what will that be?)
We didn't venture out from the hotel into the immediate area for anything but the local art festival - we spent most of our time further north. There is no local beach that I am aware of. The hotel is really smack in the middle of a residential suburban community. Is near the water, but that area is just for boating and doesn't have a beach, just piers I think. The hotel restaurants were fine - nothing special. It's not like staying at a larger city RC property. The hotel is quite small. We elected to stay on a corporate rate rather than the FHR rate, as the price differential was substantial. As I recall their Sunday brunch is very popular with the locals and we had to wait for a table on Sunday morning for about 10 minutes. Others that came after us had to wait more like 30-45min for breakfast.

If you are looking for a MIA institution for dinner, try Joe's Stone Crab in Miami beach. It's probably about 20min from the hotel. They don't take reservations and it's not a real luxe restaurant, but it is hugely famous.

If you need any suggestions for BOS, I'd be happy to offer. I know that area quite well.
Old Nov 7, 2004, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I've stayed at the RC Coconut Grove a couple of times. Rooms, service, etc. are perfectly fine, but it is very, very low key compared to other RCs. As noted previously, the complex is primarily a residential condo complex-- the hotel itself is very quiet. I liked the change, personally.
Old Apr 28, 2005, 2:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
RC Biscayne

I recently stayed at the RC Key Biscayne for a couple of nights for a conference (ie I don't have any comments about the restaurant or much of the beach related service).

My room, #422 ($379 corp rate) was really just OK except for the bed which was excellent. My view was just far enough above the conference center rooftop to avoid much indoor HVAC noise (on the porch, I couldn't carry on a conversation over the HVAC din). The resort was truly packed as a couple of gentle inquiries to move my room went without result. Perhaps I got what I payed for.

The grouds were quite nice and though there were a decent amount of kids at the pool (April vacation), there were certainly places to sit that were quieter. My only complaint was that when, in between a few conference sessions, I hurried to the pool to get some downtime with a book and, I hoped, a quick tasty malt beverage. Despite waitstaff that served many people in the surrounding area, none ever asked me if I wanted anything. Eventually (a reasonably patient 30-mins), I had to call out to one of them. I guess for a $7 Miller Lite, I expected a greater sense of urgency in the staff.

One other thing...the business center closed at like 9:00. Seems a bit early for a location that holds large conventions.

Would I go back? Sure, if the company was paying, I would be more than happy to oblige.

M

Oh, I forgot one other good thing...nearly full-sized bath soaps. Don't recall the name though (Tresia maybe). The rest of the bath products were Ritz brand as were the automatically supplied Shave and Toothbrush kits.

Last edited by Score8; Apr 28, 2005 at 2:26 pm
Old Apr 28, 2005, 4:18 pm

What date are you staying? It looks like the centurion rate is much higher that $190 through May, but drops on June 1 to $182/nt for a deluxe room or bay room (that's the free upgrade). But better yet, a 900 square foot water view executive suite is only $218. And the listed Centurion amenities are as follows:

* $50 CREDIT TOWARDS INCIDENTALS(CANNOT BE USED TOWARDS
ROOM & TAX)
* FOR 2005 - $100 SPA CREDIT (TO BE USED DURING YOUR STAY)
* COMPLIMENTARY CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST FOR TWO IN BIZCAYA
GRILL (THE RESORT'S SIGNATURE RESTAURANT)
BREAKFAST WILL NOT BE CREDITED IF UNUSED, DOES NOT INCLUDE
GRATUITY
* GUARANTEED 4PM CHECK-OUT

I think that answers the question about your breakfast and also suggests you make time for the spa!
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:22 am

Programs: UA 1P
How do I book this rate? I can't find it on RC.com

Thanks.

Originally Posted by BeantownFlyer
What date are you staying? It looks like the centurion rate is much higher that $190 through May, but drops on June 1 to $182/nt for a deluxe room or bay room (that's the free upgrade). But better yet, a 900 square foot water view executive suite is only $218. And the listed Centurion amenities are as follows:

* $50 CREDIT TOWARDS INCIDENTALS(CANNOT BE USED TOWARDS
ROOM & TAX)
* FOR 2005 - $100 SPA CREDIT (TO BE USED DURING YOUR STAY)
* COMPLIMENTARY CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST FOR TWO IN BIZCAYA
GRILL (THE RESORT'S SIGNATURE RESTAURANT)
BREAKFAST WILL NOT BE CREDITED IF UNUSED, DOES NOT INCLUDE
GRATUITY
* GUARANTEED 4PM CHECK-OUT

I think that answers the question about your breakfast and also suggests you make time for the spa!
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:25 am

You need to call you Centurion travel counsellor, assuming you have a Centurion card. American Express Fine Hotel and Resort rates (for Platinum and Centurion members) and Centurion rates (for Centurion members) can only be booked through your PTS or CTS agent.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 9:28 am

Programs: Lots
I had the RC South Beach try to pawn off a Handicap room (Shower only, mirrors and closet at waist height, etc) on me last week after delaying my checkin 1.5 hours past the official checkin time on an $800/night rate. After I started complaining they finally admitted that "Oh well this is the only room we have". Nothing ever mentioned at booking or checkin, they just sort of threw me in this room and assumed that not being able to look in the mirror without getting on my knees would be just fine.

This kind of un-RC-like behavior is why I won't recommend this hotel to anyone.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 10:34 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by Axey
I had the RC South Beach try to pawn off a Handicap room (Shower only, mirrors and closet at waist height, etc) on me last week after delaying my checkin 1.5 hours past the official checkin time on an $800/night rate. After I started complaining they finally admitted that "Oh well this is the only room we have". Nothing ever mentioned at booking or checkin, they just sort of threw me in this room and assumed that not being able to look in the mirror without getting on my knees would be just fine.

This kind of un-RC-like behavior is why I won't recommend this hotel to anyone.
Not that it would excuse anything that they already have done, but have you sought out the GM for remedy? That's a rediculously high rate for the room that you received. I'm surprised that they didn't walk you.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 1:59 pm

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
I am surprised you did not walk. In MIA area you find in 1h30min plenty nice other properties with good rooms for less than 800$.

The MO is very good but expensive. Turnberry Isle in Aventura was lovely under the Rafael hotel flag.
Old Apr 29, 2005, 2:17 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Platinum; SPG Gold; Priority Club/IHG Platinum Ambassador
RC Key Biscayne - BEST DEAL

The Ritz Key Biscayne will be offering one of the best deals I have ever heard of at any hotel. They have their island getaway package, which usually runs at $339/night resort view starting at $219/night in the summer. It is limited, but it is an amazing deal... you get a resort view room (standard, but still the rooms there are gorgeous), breakfast for two (easily $60 value), AND complementary valet parking (which goes for $25/night).
I would HIGHLY suggest getting this for a great weekend getaway.
Living in Miami, I spent a weekend there with my wife and you really feel like you are in a whole other world (and not in Miami which can be wonderful to get away from when you live here!).

It is my favorite property of the three in Miami.

Coconut Grove is a beautiful property as well, although not a resort. It is in a quieter section of the Grove and a smaller hotel, but just a simple sweet property.

South Beach is, well.... catering to South Beach. The rates at South Beach are much higher than either of the other two. Winter rates were around the $499 range. It is a wilder, "trendier" hotel that, from many things I have heard from clients (I work at a travel agency), it is not what you would expect from a Ritz.

-Eli
Old Apr 29, 2005, 4:08 pm

Programs: Lots
Needed to stay in SoBe for some meetings. Almost went over to the Setai, but the RC ended up lowering my rate to "only" $500 and then switched me to a nicer room for the second night.

Nonetheless, the above actions still won't make me return there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.