Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aman Poll and Questions (up to end 2009)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2008, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Just heard that Aman Delhi is now saying that it will open in March, not February.
Aman central reservations is still saying February, but I'm sure you're correct.
The property has now reappeared on the Aman website, however, as well as being listed on the booking engine, so that's a bit of progress anyway. Too late to do me any good though!
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:39 am

Other Aman Beijing pictures (they're not mine)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/inico/s...7609673925262/

and

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2696854...7608788297184/

click on the thumbnail pics on the right there are 9 more pics
Old Dec 24, 2008, 12:43 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
For all German speaking Amanjunkies:

A review of Aman at Summer Palace, Beijing by Horst-Dieter Ebert is announced for the next issue of food magazine "Der Feinschmecker" (February 2009, 14/01/09).
Old Dec 24, 2008, 6:23 am
Original Poster

Perhaps someone could provide us with a reliable translation when it's published? ^
Old Dec 27, 2008, 4:56 pm

Thanks Hubertus for the Beijing picture link.

Has anyone visited aman sveti stefan under development ?
As the hotel Milocer (first phase) is closed for the month of january I wont get a chance to visit until february.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:14 am
Original Poster

Anybody spend the holidays over at an Aman? A good friend of ours recently came back from Amanpulo and seemed to think the service has slipped. It was noticeably slower, he said, and often they forgot requests. He's been there at least six times and over the holidays for the past few years, so he's very familiar with the property. He was of the opinion that while food prices have gone up, the portions have gone down. "Tiny" was how he described them. It was also the first time I've heard of anyone mentioning "nickel-and-diming" with regards to an Aman.

He was also disappointed that they were served an Italian BBQ on the 29th, and then the same dinner two nights later on NYE. Some of his friends who were also regulars stayed at one of the new 4 bedroom villas on the south-east side and commented that their private chef was quite inept, and that housekeeping often forgot to clean their room. "Shocked" was how they described it, supposedly.

He and some of the regulars are convinced the change in ownership of Aman Resorts has something to do with it. No doubt the global financial downturn comes into play. Anyone have any recent holiday experiences at an Aman that hopefully is a happier story?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 4:32 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Mr. Megatop and I spent a week over Christmas at amanjiwo. I'm writing a FT Trip Report, but I haven't gotten to the amanjiwo part yet.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Can't wait and hope you had a great trip! Also really hope my friend's experience was just an isolated incident, which I think it must be. Just to put things in perspective, my friend is well-traveled and loves the Amans as much as I do, so when he says he thinks the service has "slipped", it's very relative-speaking, as he has very high expectations. He still considers it the best resort he's been to, so nothing has changed dramatically.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 8:15 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Originally Posted by Amanjunkie
Can't wait and hope you had a great trip! Also really hope my friend's experience was just an isolated incident, which I think it must be. Just to put things in perspective, my friend is well-traveled and loves the Amans as much as I do, so when he says he thinks the service has "slipped", it's very relative-speaking, as he has very high expectations. He still considers it the best resort he's been to, so nothing has changed dramatically.
It's all well here at Amankila.. no changes from the ownership - Adrian still trailblazing.. the new partners topping up the cash bit . If it's anything.. perhaps new staff getting hang of things or like Amandari needing refurbishment which is almost complete.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyerEC
It's all well here at Amankila.. no changes from the ownership - Adrian still trailblazing.. the new partners topping up the cash bit . If it's anything.. perhaps new staff getting hang of things or like Amandari needing refurbishment which is almost complete.
Yes, I can't imagine Amankila being anything but stellar! Tracy is a fantastic GM and I think that has a lot to do with it. We were booked to go for about 8 days for NYE split between Amankila and Amanwana, but due to my wife's pregnancy we had to cancel. We're looking at going possibly later this year however after the baby is born!
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:01 am

Anybody spend the holidays over at an Aman? A good friend of ours recently came back from Amanpulo and seemed to think the service has slipped. It was noticeably slower, he said, and often they forgot requests. He's been there at least six times and over the holidays for the past few years, so he's very familiar with the property. He was of the opinion that while food prices have gone up, the portions have gone down. "Tiny" was how he described them. It was also the first time I've heard of anyone mentioning "nickel-and-diming" with regards to an Aman.

He was also disappointed that they were served an Italian BBQ on the 29th, and then the same dinner two nights later on NYE. Some of his friends who were also regulars stayed at one of the new 4 bedroom villas on the south-east side and commented that their private chef was quite inept, and that housekeeping often forgot to clean their room. "Shocked" was how they described it, supposedly.

He and some of the regulars are convinced the change in ownership of Aman Resorts has something to do with it. No doubt the global financial downturn comes into play. Anyone have any recent holiday experiences at an Aman that hopefully is a happier story?
No slipping of standards here at Amanjiwo! Better than ever, in fact. I suspect the GMs at Amanpulo are to blame.

By the way, just heard Aman Delhi has got its permissions and will now open February.

Last edited by vuittonsofstyle; Jan 9, 2009 at 3:02 am Reason: more info
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
No slipping of standards here at Amanjiwo! Better than ever, in fact. I suspect the GMs at Amanpulo are to blame.

By the way, just heard Aman Delhi has got its permissions and will now open February.
Fantastic! BTW, I thought you spent the holidays at Amanpuri or did you do both?! ^
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:18 am

Fantastic! BTW, I thought you spent the holidays at Amanpuri or did you do both?! ^
Holidays were spent elsewhere. Did Amanpuri (again) earlier in the year.
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:08 pm

Aman Summer Palace Beijing

Hello

The search function on FT doesn't seem to be working, but in any event I don't recall seeing a review of the above property.

Has anyone been?

And, do any of you know what the Virtuoso amenities are?

Many thanks

Bigmerv
Old Jan 9, 2009, 3:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bigmerv
Hello

The search function on FT doesn't seem to be working, but in any event I don't recall seeing a review of the above property.

Has anyone been?

And, do any of you know what the Virtuoso amenities are?

Many thanks

Bigmerv
Yes, I visited the property during the Olympics before it officially opened and was given a tour. You can view my post here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10268654-post537.html

FlyerEC also visited prior to opening and here is a link to his post: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/10546728-post614.html

I don't recall anyone on FT staying there yet and writing a review. Perhaps I'm wrong?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.