Wiki Posts
Search

Additional questions on Hong Kong hotels

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2004, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Additional questions on Hong Kong hotels

One of the great destinations I've never yet visited in Hong Kong, and I finally have the time to spend a few days there. I have read the extensive discussions in this forum about the pros and cons of the Peninsula, Ritz-Carlton and Mandarin Oriental. Here's a summary of what I've read and a few follow-up questions.

There's effusive praise for the Pen from many posters. This older thread claims the Pen can become a "touristy zoo" at times. The RC is claimed to be the most underrated hotel in town, with excellent service (better than the Pen some claim), although the rooms are on the small side. Minor negatives: shower in the tub and a small pool. The Pen is undergoing some renovations, although the gym should be open again by the time I get there.

Location is also an issue. The MO and RC are close to LKF and other desirable places, while the view from Kowloon is supposed to be better. The MO is in need of renovations, and will be getting those next year. Based upon what I've read, I have a slight preference for the MO/RC location, although the Kowloon view is tempting too... decisions, decisions...

Now my questions. To assuage my conscience and my waistline, I will want to frequent the gym and go for a swim. How do the pools and gyms compare at these three properties? Is there an extra charge for using them? (Some of the hotel websites seem to imply this). It looks like the MO only has an indoor pool, while the RC has outdoor facilities (which I would prefer).

I can get an excellent corporate rate for the MO and RC, but that would plonk me in the lowest category room with no extras. The RC is running an "Exceptional Summer Special" for HKD 1980 for a deluxe harborview room with either a HKD300 food & beverage credit, or an upgrade to a Club Peak View room. I'd be inclined to go for the Club room; Club Level rooms run at 2450 and 2850 HKD depending on the view.

The MO has the Suite Weekend special, with a Deluxe Harbor View suite, room service breakfast and some other perquisites for 2435 a night, with an additional night at 1050. I've not been able to do a dummy booking with this rate yet, as the site always gives me an average rate of 2435. I also rather like the idea of balconies at the MO.

The Pen's cheapest rate available is 3680 for a deluxe harborview room. I've been a semi-regular visitor at the Pen in NY, and I got an upgrade when I stayed there for two weeks earlier this year. I read elsewhere in this forum that visiting Pens might be the way to get upgrades rather than other methods (LC or Amex).

Based on the above, my first preference probably would be the RC due to its location, club floor and positive comments. The MO's Suite Weekend rate is fantastic, but the comments on overdue renovations make me a bit a leery. The Pen is something I will definitely have to do at some point, but for now seems to offer the least value for money. So it's mostly a contest between the MO and RC now. Any comments on their respective gyms and pools will be welcomed, plus any other factors to take into account. If all goes well, I should be in HK from the 19th to the 22nd this month.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:26 pm

Shangri-la and Conrad are my favorites in HK

Both the Island Shangri-la and Conrad hotels give you great views and are conveniently attached to a massive shopping mall that gives you numerous dining and transportation options at your doorstep. The Club-level lounge at the Conrad is marvelous, but the Island Shangri-la has the better fitness and spa facilities. Both have top-notch service. I would agree that the Pen is too touristy and attracts too many visitors to the lobby area.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:30 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by MisterAviator
Both the Island Shangri-la and Conrad hotels give you great views and are conveniently attached to a massive shopping mall that gives you numerous dining and transportation options at your doorstep. The Club-level lounge at the Conrad is marvelous, but the Island Shangri-la has the better fitness and spa facilities. Both have top-notch service. I would agree that the Pen is too touristy and attracts too many visitors to the lobby area.

I will second the Conrad....great hotel and great location.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 9:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The Conrad and MO are a definite step down from the Pen, really not comparable (but very nice). The RC is a small step down if you value the lounge highly, a larger step if you don't (I rarely use the lounge, for example). Tourists at the Pen are irrelevant if you are staying there, maybe a nuisance if you are one of the tourists. And there is something about a green Rolls in HKG. But the real highlight of the Pen is being able to go from Felix to your room by elevator. Felix is one of the great bars in the world (also has superb snacks, but don't eat dinner there, better to eat at Spring Moon or at Yu in the IC).
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:16 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by number_6
The Conrad and MO are a definite step down from the Pen, really not comparable (but very nice). The RC is a small step down if you value the lounge highly, a larger step if you don't (I rarely use the lounge, for example). Tourists at the Pen are irrelevant if you are staying there, maybe a nuisance if you are one of the tourists. And there is something about a green Rolls in HKG. But the real highlight of the Pen is being able to go from Felix to your room by elevator. Felix is one of the great bars in the world (also has superb snacks, but don't eat dinner there, better to eat at Spring Moon or at Yu in the IC).
Number_6 Great minds think alike. The HKG experience begins when one of those green Rolls' and courteous driver meets your flight. I adore breakfast in the lobby of the Pen and lunch at Spring Moon is about as close to heaven as one can imagine. After a tough day of shopping, settling into your Pen suite and sinking into the bathtub, knowing your great room service order is on it's way is the ultimate in relaxation. Pop your favorite DVD into their player and know that when you dry-off, your dinner will be waiting and will be absolute perfection. A sinfully, sybarritic experience.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA Global Svcs 3 MM, LH Senator, BA Gold
Originally Posted by obscure2k
Number_6 Great minds think alike. The HKG experience begins when one of those green Rolls' and courteous driver meets your flight. I adore breakfast in the lobby of the Pen and lunch at Spring Moon is about as close to heaven as one can imagine. After a tough day of shopping, settling into your Pen suite and sinking into the bathtub, knowing your great room service order is on it's way is the ultimate in relaxation. Pop your favorite DVD into their player and know that when you dry-off, your dinner will be waiting and will be absolute perfection. A sinfully, sybarritic experience.
Happy to hear this; I have not overnighted in HKG, but will be there this fall, and after quizzing several seasoned Asia-travelers, they all said "without a doubt the Pen", so I have booked through Amex, and am looking forward...
Old Aug 9, 2004, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by number_6
Bunfight! Bunfight! I didn't know you could go from the Felix to your room by elevator. I thought the Felix elevators were express, and you'd have to switch back at the lobby. Or is this like B Watson's pool on the 6th floor of the Copacabana Palace ("if you have to ask...")?

As much as I like the Pen, and it is one fine hotel, I call the MO my home (literally, I'm there pretty much every day). I'm not a big fan of TST, although the views are better.

Speaking of great bars of the world, what are other ones? I nominate the New York Bar at the PHT (of "Lost in Translation" fame), and the Radio Bar and New York Chamber in Tokyo. Any others?
Old Aug 10, 2004, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
A sinfully sybarritic experience.
Surely those are the best kind, especially when described so elegantly.

And Pickles, my guess is that 5 or 10 years from now TST will be every bit as fashionable and pleasant as Central and Admiralty. They'll find a way to haul Chungking M. and its detritus up to Mongkok or somewhere, as the upscale wave keeps pushing back from the waterfront. Worst thing will be when they start building connectors over Nathan Road (e.g., between the new buildings that replace Chungking M and the Hyatt), but I suppose change is inevitable.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 8:38 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
The Pen's cheapest rate available is 3680 for a deluxe harborview room. I've been a semi-regular visitor at the Pen in NY, and I got an upgrade when I stayed there for two weeks earlier this year. I read elsewhere in this forum that visiting Pens might be the way to get upgrades rather than other methods (LC or Amex).
The Amex stay more rate is $3283.00 on the dates you mentioned for deluxe harbour view and there is a B&B rate of $3430.00.

If you have a contact in NYC odds are they can help you.
Old Aug 10, 2004, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
Hm, the fulsome praise yet again is beginning to convince me I should stay at the Pen after all. It also looks like I'll have an extra day in HK, so I'm beginning to consider staying at two hotels even for the short stay, something I am normally loath to do. My tentative plan is now to start at the Pen for two nights and then the RC for another two.

Do any of the hotels charge for pool/gym access? The Pen website seems to imply that...
Old Aug 13, 2004, 9:08 am

Programs: AA PLT
Just back from HK RC

My wife and I just got back from three nights on the top floor of the RC and have only positive things to say. Having never been to HK before, I was very close to staying at the Pen because it is a world-famous hotel. After a number of emails from the staff informing me that various areas of the hotel would be under construction, and after securing an incredible rate at the RC (around $200/night on the club floor), we decided on the RC.

The RC is decorated as a standard-issue RC, but what separates it from the RCs all over America decorated in a similar fashion is the service. Check-in was incredibly smooth and efficient - we were taken to our room immediately upon arrival. The club lounge staff greeted us upon our entry each time we stopped by and the food presentations and unlimited drinks were very welcome after touring in an incredibly hot HK. The staff was also very helpful in planning our daily sightseeing activities. The room was comfortable - good bed, large marble bathroom. Shower and tub were combined, but really wasn't a big deal. Bulgari amenities (constantly refreshed, unlike FS where it seems you have to use every last bit of shampoo before a new bottle is provided). The view was good, even though we weren't facing the harbor. We had a nice view of Victoria Peak. My favorite aspect of the hotel was how small the floors are - I think about 12 rooms per floor at the most. It really feels like a small apartment building rather than a hotel. There were a ton of regulars as well - lots of people seemed to know each other in the club lounge from previous stays. Also, one guy was checking in for 27 nights! This says something about those who spend a lot of time in HK - they like the RC.

Fitness facilities were modern and clean but a little small. Pool deck is nice and pool is a decent size for a city hotel. I wouldn't expect to use the pool for more than cooling off, though. Service was attentive, with water and towels immediately brought upon arrival. Note that the hotel is in the center of Central and there is construction right next door, so it's not a quiet pool. But this is to be expected at a hotel in the middle of the city.

Can't say much about food other than the club lounge presentations which, as I mentioned, were as good as the food in any other club lounge I've visitied.

We did manage to stop by the Pen for dinner at Felix and a drink in the Lobby. Personally, I thought the location of the Pen was a major downside. Kowloon is a crazy area, a bit much for us after nearly two weeks touring in Asia. We likely the modernity and cleanliness of the RC's location. For example, we took the MTR (subway) from the RC to the Pen and the stations were worlds different with the station in Central by the RC being far nicer and calm. The Kowloon station was a mass of large families, screaming children and all sorts of other people. I wouldn't have wanted to face that everyday. Also, I think unless you're in a harbor-view tower room at the Pen you can't count on having any view since there's so much around it and in front of it. The RC, by contrast, has little between it and the harbor or on the other side, where a nice park is located.

Back to the Pen - drink service in the lobby was fine, but the lobby did seem very large and convention-y to me. Saw people with convention badges and kids with tank tops, etc. All the stuff you expect at a big American convention hotel. Not everyone was like this, but we didn't see any of this at the RC, by contrast. Lobby is beautiful but, again, very large. Dinner at Felix was very good, and the view was, as everyone notes, incredible. If you could get a room at the Pen with the view Felix has (and I wasn't paying), I would probably stay there. But I'm sure such a room would cost double or more of a very nice room at the RC, and so, if cost is an issue, you could instead stay at the RC and have dinner at Felix to enjoy the view.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions. If I were returning to HK, and on my own dime, I would definitely stay at the RC and not the Pen. I'm sure the Pen is nice - but I can't imagine it topping the service or intimacy of the RC. I'd try the Pen if I could get a top-level room and wasn't paying since the view is, admittedly, unbeatable (I'd probably forget all the big-hotel convention stuff I didn't like about the Pen if I knew I had that view every night).

Finally, we did walk through the MO and I would not recommend staying there. Lobby was tired-looking and also rather confusing to navigate (Pen was also a little confusing). MO is also almost next door to the RC, but I'm almost certain the RC has better views because of its design and what's around it.

One last thing - everyone always makes a big deal about the bed-side controls in the rooms at the Pen. The RC has similar controls, although not as sophisticated. You can, however, operate the lights, the curtains, the do not disturb and the valet call button from these controls. Just something to keep in mind.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hyatt Diamond
Intercontinental for best view, pool.

Originally Posted by WearyBizTrvlr
One of the great destinations I've never yet visited in Hong Kong, and I finally have the time to spend a few days there. I have read the extensive discussions in this forum about the pros and cons of the Peninsula, Ritz-Carlton and Mandarin Oriental.
Don't believe what you read here about TST. If you go to Hong Kong, you want the TST experience. And the best location/view is at the Intercontinental (formally Regent) Hong Kong. It's right across the street from the Pen (on the harbor side). Obviously, get a harbor view room, as high up as possible. IF you want to splurge, they have suites on the top floor with huge outdoor patio with pool/tub. What a phenomenal view of the harbor and HK across the way. You've got Nathan Rd. just outside the hotel, and the ferry across to Central 2 minute walk away.

The pool at the IC is wonderful, an infinity pool overlooking the harbor. Great gym. Had the b-fast buffet in the lower dining room, again with a fabulous view.

The level of service and personal attention at the IC certainly aren't the same as at the Pen, but the location is better, the food is wonderful, and did I mention the view?
Old Aug 13, 2004, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Leaving alone the rest of what you said, there is no material difference between either Admiralty or Central and Tsim Tsa Tsui stations, they can all be zoos and are similar in size (in proportion) to eachother.
Old Aug 13, 2004, 6:08 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
The IC was wonderful as the Regent, one of the 10 great hotels of the world. Now as the IC it is one of the 100 great hotels of the world. I refuse to stay there now on principle, but always eat at Yu when in HKG (Yu is maybe the finest seafood restaurant in the world, thanks to having a fish farm in the kitchen). In my mind TST/Kowloon is the HKG experience, central is the Manhattan experience (but without some of the things that make Manhattan bearable). There are some excellent hotels in Central, which would easily be the best hotel in any other city! But in HKG they just don't measure up, and for me the RC falls short and I won't stay there when I can stay at the Pen, IC or even the Sheraton Towers. I've never regretted this choice, and I've converted some people who also haven't regretted that choice subsequently.
Old Aug 14, 2004, 9:19 am

I love the Ritz. The Ritz has a very intimate feel to it with only 8 or 10 (MMMV) rooms per floor. The service is some of the best I have experienced, anywhere. The only drawback is the pool area is really noisy these days with the construction going on next door. RC has a great location and harbour views. The RC has easy access to the Star ferry to Kowloon and is a short walk to businesses in the Central and Admiralty districts (ok, I like to walk.) I think the Pen is over-rated. Personally, I would want to stay out on Kowloon, even if I had business out there. To visit is enough... "copy watch... special price.. need suit?" Next time, I may try the Shangri-La. The service there seems excellent for a big hotel. They have a fabulus French Restaurant on the top floor. There is nothing better than starting your meal off with Champagne and caviar on the 56th floor facing the harbour at night. I have not stayed at the MO, so I can't help you there..... It will be interesting to see the FSH as well...

Last edited by DataPlumber; Aug 14, 2004 at 9:29 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.