Search

Banyan Tree Phuket or Amanpuri?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2003, 11:01 pm
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: Amex Centurion. Amanjunkie. AA & DL Platinum
Banyan Tree Phuket or Amanpuri?

I'm going to Phuket this October. I am staying at the Amanpuri and Banyan Tree. I have been to Amanpuri a number of times, but would like any reviews on how Banyan Tree stacks up to Amanpuri. I can still make changes and stay at Amanpuri for more days.

Thanks for your help regarding Banyan Tree!

Old Sep 7, 2003, 11:08 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold
i've not stayed at the banyan tree phuket so can't comment directly. but at the chain level, banyan tree really doesn't hold a candle to amanresorts. they try hard enough, but just don't have the finesse to be truly top-tier. that's my 2 cents anyway.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 6:47 am

Plumbar - we are not going to Phuket until Nov and have booked a superior garden pavillion at Amanpuri per your advice ... so thanks for your input there . If you do stay at Banyan I hope you won't mind posting your experience here as I too am very curious about how it might or might not measure up. Are you spending any time in BKK on your way to or from? Wondering what hotel you prefer there.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 11:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free

Funny you should mention it. I just came back from the Amanpuri. Everybody I know who has been to both says the Amanpuri is far ahead the Banyan Tree, which is more of a "resort" place.

Now, this is my first time at the Amanpuri, and I think my last. Nothing particularly wrong with the place, but given my expectations and my priors with other Aman properties (in Indonesia), I found the Amanpuri somewhat undistinguished. In particular, the pavilions are too close together for my taste, and the service (comparatively) is somewhat lackluster. I was expecting at least Oriental-level service, which I did not get. I have found the Indonesia properties to be much better value for the money.

Pluses are the excellent pool and great food. The rooms are fine, but OK compared to other Amans I've been in.

Also, Phuket is really not that interesting, although the surrounding islands are beautiful and the diving is good.
Old Sep 8, 2003, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pstoecker:
Plumbar - we are not going to Phuket until Nov and have booked a superior garden pavillion at Amanpuri per your advice ... so thanks for your input there . If you do stay at Banyan I hope you won't mind posting your experience here as I too am very curious about how it might or might not measure up. Are you spending any time in BKK on your way to or from? Wondering what hotel you prefer there. </font>
On the way back, we are staying over in Hong Kong at the Peninsula. IMHO, the best city hotel in Asia.

In regards to Bangkok, I like the Oriental for their personal service and charm. I don't like their pool, though. However, Bangkok is not a resort town so it shouldn't matter. They do have an excellent spa on the opposite side of the river (take the complimentary boat across) which is nicely designed with great treatments.

The Peninsula in Bangkok is "very modern" and seems out of place for its surroundings. Their rooms are luxurious and is probably a better value than the Oriental. The last time I was at the Peninsula Bangkok, it was very reasonable.

They are both quality hotels so you won't go wrong with either. I believe it comes down to personal preference.

I heard nice things about the Shagri-La also but have never been to it(except passing it on the river on the long tail boats).

Hope this helps. Enjoy the Amanpuri.

Old Sep 9, 2003, 1:35 pm

Plumbar: Thanks for the opinions - these decisions are so tricky!! In the end we have decided to spend four nights at the Peninsula on our way down and one night .. our last in Thailand, at the Oriental because it sounds so special. Should be a good combination. After all these weeks of talking about it we finally made a reservation at Amanpuri ... or tried to .... and we are still waiting to see if they can accomodate us. I don't know why it did not occur to me that anyone else would want to be there too and that the resort might actually be fully booked!! I have fingers crossed that we will indeed get a room.

Pickles: If not the Amanpuri, do you have a fav place in Phuket? Curious in case we cannot get a room at the inn!

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 9, 2003, 10:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by pstoecker:

Pickles: If not the Amanpuri, do you have a fav place in Phuket? Curious in case we cannot get a room at the inn!

Thanks in advance
</font>
Second best (and rather far behind, from what I hear) is the Banyan Tree. You can also try the Chedi, which shares a beach with the Aman. Same style of cottages, but much smaller and many more of them. Looks nice, though. Also, you can always dine at the Aman by walking along the beach, or maybe even switch hotels if something opens up while you are there.

Have you considered other places besides Phuket?

[This message has been edited by Pickles (edited 09-09-2003).]
Old Sep 10, 2003, 8:41 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Rayavadee in Krabi is nice - not Aman standards, but better than the Banyan Tree. I think it is now a Luxury Collection hotel.
Old Sep 11, 2003, 11:57 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:
Second best (and rather far behind, from what I hear) is the Banyan Tree. You can also try the Chedi, which shares a beach with the Aman. Same style of cottages, but much smaller and many more of them. Looks nice, though. Also, you can always dine at the Aman by walking along the beach, or maybe even switch hotels if something opens up while you are there.

Have you considered other places besides Phuket?

[This message has been edited by Pickles (edited 09-09-2003).]
</font>
Hi - well, after four nights in BKK, we are renting a private villa in Phuket for six nights and thought that while we were in the area we would check out the Amanpuri after hearing so much about it for so long. We thought about Krabi and the Phi Phi Islands and even about going up north but were trying to avoid what we always end up doing which is too much running around and not enough just relaxing. Didn't want to have too many days where we were transferring here and there and going to and from airports/boats/automobiles. But ... we are always open to suggestions!!
Old Sep 11, 2003, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Hi - well, after four nights in BKK, we are renting a private villa in Phuket for six nights and thought that while we were in the area we would check out the Amanpuri after hearing so much about it for so long. </font>
Were you not able to get reservations at Amanpuri? Or, did you prefer a private villa. What is the name of the private villa?

Old Sep 12, 2003, 12:21 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by plumbar:
Were you not able to get reservations at Amanpuri? Or, did you prefer a private villa. What is the name of the private villa?

</font>
We had already booked the Villa (www.villaphuket.com) but it was only available for six of the eight or nine nights that we had to spend ...so we thought a couple of nights at Amanpuri would be great. At first Amanresorts could not confirm us for two nights but their very helpful guy,Michael Molina, here in the states, contacted the resort and got us confirmed for two nights. In the end we have decided to spend our last night in Thailand back in BKK at the Oriental. We chose (with the help of lot of FTers - yourself included), the Peninsula for the four nights in BKk before we head south. Thought it might make the trip home a bit shorter if we got ourselves up tp BKK and had the day to finish up shopping etc before we go back thru SIN to EWR. Shaping up to be a very nice trip!! Check out the villa site - the owner was very negotiable with the rate as we are just one couple and as early Nov is still considered low season. I think it is a terrific bargain if it is half as lovely as it looks. Note that maid/cook/driver and car all included in the rate. Let me know if you need more info.

[This message has been edited by pstoecker (edited 09-12-2003).]
Old Sep 12, 2003, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Pstoecker,

Villa Phuket looks great!!! I wish I knew about this earlier. Let me know how you enjoy it.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 8:55 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by plumbar:
Pstoecker,

Villa Phuket looks great!!! I wish I knew about this earlier. Let me know how you enjoy it.
</font>

Will be happy to fill you in on the details when we get back. Have a good trip yourself!
Old Sep 27, 2003, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Perfect timing! There is a short comparison between Amanpuri and Banyan Tree in the October 2003 Departures Magazine. Both received high ratings!

Also, both got high marks in October's Travel and Leisure magazine for best spas in the world.
Old Oct 3, 2003, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA MM, CX Diamond, LH Senator, BA Gold, Hyatt Courtesy
I've stayed at both the Amanpuri and the Banyan Tree when I used to live in Bangkok. I agree that the BT is not as nice but there is no way that the Aman is twice as good (as reflected in the price differential). The Aman's greatest allure is its privacy but as another poster mentioned, the rooms are too close together to truly have privacy and you can see and hear your neighbors pretty easily.
The villa's at the BT are not as deluxe as the Amans but they certainly are spacious. I think the food is better at the BT and I like having golf onsite. The spa at the BT is excellent.
Last month, I just stayed at the new JW Marriott Phuket where I had an excellent stay and I will be returning there next time. The service, facilities, and rooms were much better than expected especially considering the rate of less than $90/night. This is a different class of hotel than the Aman and BT but all things considered, I have still planned my next trip there. If you are active on your vacation (you enjoy sports, spa, beach and other activities such as thai cooking classes) I highly recommend the JW Phuket despite considering Marriott a mid tier hotel chain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.