Booking the "corporate rate"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2002, 10:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)

Has anyone when travelling for leisure ever booked a "corporate rate" because the rate is lower than the rack rate?

Can you get denied the corporate rate and be forced to pay the rack rate?
Old Oct 11, 2002, 10:31 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

I don't know if I understand the question, but I often use my corporate rate when traveling for pleasure. At some FS or Ritz's it is less than 1/2 the Standard rate. There is no way the hotel knows why I am staying there nor do I think they care.
Old Oct 11, 2002, 9:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status paid F/J (best value for $$$)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by auh2o:
I don't know if I understand the question, but I often use my corporate rate when traveling for pleasure. At some FS or Ritz's it is less than 1/2 the Standard rate. There is no way the hotel knows why I am staying there nor do I think they care.</font>
Does your company have to be registered to qualify for the corporate rate? (for Ritz Carlton in your case)

Old Oct 12, 2002, 7:57 am
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
Knowing who auh2o works for, it's likely his "corporate rate" is a negotiated corporate rate. These are based upon some large commitment for annual room nights. My guess is daniel is referring to a standard corporate rate that many hotels offer for the asking. These are often only 10-12% below rack.

I recently booked a Ritz in a resort town over Thanksgiving using my large company's negotiated corporate rate. The price was around 50% below rack of $395, and 28% below the lowest promotional rate I could find. My guess is if I called the hotel and was able to get a non-negotiated corporate rate, it would be something in the range of $360.

[This message has been edited by Craig6z (edited 10-12-2002).]
Old Apr 12, 2005, 2:07 pm

Interesting issue re RC & FS

posted to a new thread. sorry for inconvenience

Last edited by 3742Sha!; Apr 12, 2005 at 2:11 pm Reason: new thread
Old Apr 12, 2005, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KrisFlyer
I notice that many hotels are showing corporate rates on their websites, and there are no restrictions listed as to who may book these. Those are the rates which, as stated above, are only slightly lower than the regular rate. I don't think there is any problem in booking these, and I have been offered such rates over the phone when calling the hotel companies. I know that in the past, these rates used to be a little more restrictive, and I would be asked to bring a business card or something showing that I worked for someone. Didn't seem to matter who! Negotiated corporate or government rates are another matter, and should rightfully be reserved for those who negotiated them.
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:37 pm

Programs: SQ PPS, LH SEN, Amex something, nothing everywhere else
As I work for a gargantuan company, we have negotiated corporate rates all over the world. The discounts can be very substantial over the rack rate, in some cases approaching 40%. I haven't kept track though, and the discounts vary from hotel to hotel. I use our negotiated rate almost exclusively, and in many years of travel I've yet to be asked for proof that I work for the company. I guess the corporate credit card may have something to do with that.
Old Apr 15, 2005, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Indeed, there are some discussions on Flyertalk of the best corporate rates at various properties and across chains... and folks' success at using those rates when they aren't entitled to do so. YMMV.
Old Apr 16, 2005, 9:47 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
With Starwood hotels my company's corporate rate shows up automatically whenever I log on and gives me 'a rate'. I then check the AAA as well as 'promotional rates' for my stay period and just book whatever is cheaper. I've never been asked to show corp id, nor for that matter a AAA card (although I do have one if asked). For other hotels I will call and ask is my company (a very large international financial institution) has a rate with them--and if it appears cheaper than those on their web site I'll book it, if not then I go with whatever is cheaper. Although I will also take into affect if 'a free breakfast, airport transportation or other benefits are included in the quoted rate before making a final decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.