Wiki Posts
Search

Ritz Carlton Maui vs. Princeville Resort

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Ritz Carlton Maui vs. Princeville Resort

I am planning a honeymoon for next September and wanted to obtain thoughts on whether the Ritz Carlton Maui vs. the Princeville resort would be a better option. Clearly, the resorts are different, but I would be especially interested in thoughts from people who have been to both before. Which one has a better beach, food, view from room etc. or would be the most romantic?

Also, which hotel is likely to have better upgrade options?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:30 am

Programs: OW, *A, Bonvoy, WOH
I have been to both. The beach and view from room is better at the Princeville. The food is better at the Ritz Maui. It'll probably be easier to secure an upgrade at Princeville if you are SPG Platinum but I wasn't one so I don't really know. I would rate the standard rooms at both properties about equal. Also bear in mind that both properties are far (>45min) from the respective airports. But I felt the Princeville was perfectly situated whereas the Ritz seemed to be far removed from everything in Maui. But that's a personal observation.

It's a personal choice but IMO, Kaua'i is far more romantic than Maui. Maui is almost like Honolulu - built up and touristy. Kaua'i is lush green, fairly undeveloped and has amazing scenery (helicopter tour is a must!) esp. the Princeville area, the Na Pali coast and Waimea Canyon. There's far more to do in Maui though so if you want do experience the islands, Maui might be better.

That said, I would go back to Princeville in a heartbeat
Old Dec 15, 2004, 10:57 am
In Memoriam, Original Member

blueDC has it exactly right. Except to also note that at the Ritz you will also probably share your time with a convention or sales club.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 9:43 am
Original Poster

Location: Washington DC; UA Premier Exec, Starwood Gold, Hilton Silver
Thanks for the responses. Though both are nice, I am now planning on Princeville.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:49 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well here is my opinion and I have stayed everywhere on Maui and Kauai. I spend over 6 weeks per year there. Princeville is nice Junior suite is the way to go there. Please understand that it rains often on that part of the island. The hotel itself could be reminded of any luxury property in any city. I know alot of people like this place I have stayed there at least 6 times for more than a week but there are other places nicer in Hawaii. Kaui is more romantic and has fewer people on the island but you really want to stay on the sunny side of the Island. The Hyatt has huge suites and has a great golf course and spa. The new Marriott is all timeshares but has a great location.
Maui has more things to do and and has several great properties in the south you have the Fairmont Key Lani which would be my top choice. The Grand Wailia is worth a look also and it's next door. The other side of the island gives you the Ritz Carlton. The rooms are nothing special here and as a previous posted mentioned there are always groups there.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 3:57 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Delta Platinum, US Platimum, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Thanks for your post. So when is a good time to visit Princeville? I want to avoid rainy months.

Originally Posted by PETEFLYS
Well here is my opinion and I have stayed everywhere on Maui and Kauai. I spend over 6 weeks per year there. Princeville is nice Junior suite is the way to go there. Please understand that it rains often on that part of the island. The hotel itself could be reminded of any luxury property in any city. I know alot of people like this place I have stayed there at least 6 times for more than a week but there are other places nicer in Hawaii. Kaui is more romantic and has fewer people on the island but you really want to stay on the sunny side of the Island. The Hyatt has huge suites and has a great golf course and spa. The new Marriott is all timeshares but has a great location.
Maui has more things to do and and has several great properties in the south you have the Fairmont Key Lani which would be my top choice. The Grand Wailia is worth a look also and it's next door. The other side of the island gives you the Ritz Carlton. The rooms are nothing special here and as a previous posted mentioned there are always groups there.
Old Dec 16, 2004, 4:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM, AA Plat, F9 Elite, the later two thanks to Jeff $, HHdia, Mgold, WynDia, Choicepl, IHGDia
Princeville is wonderful but it can rain all too often. I'd be careful with Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan, and Feb. PuuPoa Condos at the Princeville Hotel gate is a GREAT place to stay. You can walk to the hotel yet have a HUGE condo at 1/2 the price of the resort. ALSO you MUST have a car for any trip to Kauai.

Princeville area also has a much more relaxed and casual atmosphere than any other island. Maui is Maui but Kauai and Priceville/Hanelai in general are special places... ALOHA and enjoy.
Old Apr 17, 2005, 6:00 pm

Programs: UAL1K,US Chairman's,wood plat,Marriott plat
We were at the Princeville back in December, were upgraded to the Junior suite (great room with ocean front view) paid $345 a night.

I love the bathroom, magnificent view!!!!! especially that window dimmer light switch most of you that stayed there probably know what I'm talking about. It was pretty cold and windy for the past 3 days while we were there, A very private beach feel. We had a room service, it was ok. Only thing that we didn't like was the service at this hotel, very slow.

Ritz Maui, Love it. Last time we were upgraded to the Club lounge floor, ocean view room $345 a night with American Breakfast for two, valet and resort fees covered. Front desk staff at the checkin could had been more friendlier but atleast got a free upgrade to the club level room ,can't complaint about that. Valet parking at this hotel is a top notch service! The buffet was limited selection, you could choose to have breakfast inroom as well. We prefer the Rit'z beach than the one at Princeville, if you are lazy to walk down the beach from the pool take a golfcart down there. There's a bar at the beach which you could grab a drink and light snack. Club lounge is a must must! They do treat you like loyalty, very well trained staff here at the lounge,I rated 6 star!

Our next stay there at the Ritz in summer, we booked a Club level ocean view one bdroom suite and really looking forward to that.

Mahalo

Last edited by bmwsociety2; Apr 17, 2005 at 6:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.