Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Whitby NYC

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2024, 9:41 pm
Original Poster

The Whitby NYC

Has anyone stayed at The Whitby recently? I'm intrigued by its 3 Michelin Star distinction. I'm wondering how it stacks up to Aman NY, Baccarat, etc.
Old May 21, 2024, 11:44 pm
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I've never stayed at the Whitby, but I doubt it can measure up to Aman/Baccarat - those are ultra-top tier hotels
Old May 22, 2024, 12:35 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ofj
I've never stayed at the Whitby, but I doubt it can measure up to Aman/Baccarat - those are ultra-top tier hotels
I’ve never stayed at the Baccarat and never will — over- decorated, cluttered, fussy, and ostentatious. An exercise in questionable taste. See photo below:

susanc likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 12:39 am
ofj

Programs: AF/KLM Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KatW
Ive never stayed at the Baccarat and never will over- decorated, cluttered, fussy, and ostentatious. See photo below:
Yes - I know what the Baccarat looks like. You're fully entitled to your opinion. For some of us though, that kind of interior is simply sublime - a perfect mix of the old european grandeur combined with modern style + design. To each their own, I guess? I haven't stayed at the Baccarat because I can't bring myself to pay for such indulgence!
lepmd, Cards1234 and Michaeljinnyc like this.
Old May 22, 2024, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
Ive never stayed at the Baccarat and never will over- decorated, cluttered, fussy, and ostentatious. An exercise in questionable taste. See photo below:

I've stayed there multiple times. I'm in Midtown every other month. It's not bad IRL.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ofj
I'm in Midtown every other month and I've stayed at those two the most, so they're my go-to. The new Michelin Keys designation made Baccarat a 1 key (which really should be a 2 key imo) and listed the 3 key hotels as Aman, Cipriani, Crosby Street, and Whitby. I was really surprised and I'm wondering if Firmdale had a hand in Crosby Street and Whitby getting such a high rating. Did they pay off Michelin or is it justified? The key rating is questionable in general (The Lowell got a key and it's gross). Fouquet's also got 2 keys and I would give that *maybe* 1. Baccarat is better than Fouquet's imo. I'm wondering if The Whitby deserves a high rating. The reviews are great but the rooms look very small compared to the base room at Aman or the grand classic level or above at Baccarat. The price point of The Whitby is similar to Baccarat and you need to book a Junior Suite or above to even get a tub. At Baccarat, there are a few Grand Classic rooms with tubs. I just cannot imagine it's on par with these hotels but I'm hoping I'm wrong because it would be nice to have more options for clean smaller hotels in Midtown.
Old May 22, 2024, 1:27 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by lepmd
The Lowell got a key and it's gross
I don't care to debate "keys", but I have never in 19 years or so of working with The Lowell hear someone call it gross. Care to elaborate?
Old May 22, 2024, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
I don't care to debate "keys", but I have never in 19 years or so of working with The Lowell hear someone call it gross. Care to elaborate?
Extremely dirty and dusty during our last stay. The vent in the bathroom was covered with dust as were all the surfaces in the room. The buttons on the phone were covered in grime. They remedied it and cleaned the room top to bottom when I complained and emailed photos to them, but it needs a full renovation. It was like staying in Grandma's attic with all of the dust. Our room had a "terrace" which was basically a wobbly walkout of broken masonry. All of the rooms are very dark. Our friends were traveling with us and I was embarrassed that I suggested it. I'm not a fan of dirty hotels, but I don't mind old hotels. I stayed in an unrenovated room at Plaza Athenee in Paris the next week and it was spotless. I will give The Lowell concierge his due. He was able to get some difficult reservations for us.
Old May 22, 2024, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
We are moving away from Whitby, which I unfortunately can't say anything about either. But I can say one thing: how many Keys a hotel has in the Michelin is about as interesting to me as the average Instagram review. Absolutely no factor for me when booking.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:10 pm

We just stayed there last month for a weekend Broadway stay and had a nice experience. The 2 rooms were clean and very spacious (Jr Suite and Superior Room).

Though the hotel is tucked on a quiet street, the Superior Rooms are on the 2nd floor so be aware of garbage pick up. I don't think my family member paid attention when booking, otherwise they would have preferred a higher floor. The hotel was sold out, so the option to upgrade even at cost wasn't available.
My Jr. Suite was on the 4th floor facing the street, but I had zero noise complaints.
Both of our rooms featured floor to ceiling windows which let in great natural light, but I can see how this may impact noise levels.
I believe there are only 6 rooms per floor so that also keeps the noise/ foot traffic down on the floors.

Turn down was simple. First night they left a pillow mist, water and a breakfast menu. The second night just water and the breakfast menu. I had requested ice (preferably crushed) during turn down in my pre- arrival email and I did receive both nights.

We did room service the first night and both mornings. Dinner food was just ok nothing too exciting, but we did like the chips and guacamole appetizer. Sadly, the wine was horrible for us both (Riesling and Pinot Noir), as we are oenophiles. A hotel of this caliber should have better quality wine.
Breakfast was the highlight for us both. Make sure you get the bacon, it's thick cut and crispy. The french toast and pancakes were great, and they will kindly make you an off menu waffle. The eggs were of good quality and even though unlisted came with potatoes (keep this in mind so you don't over order

Haven't tried the Baccarat or the Aman. We did a toss up of the Baccarat or The Whitby this trip and just went with the Whitby, so we plan to stay at Baccarat next time. From all of the Aman reviews, I am going to give it some time to gather it's footing before staying. The standard for us is The Mark, but I would not rank The Whitby and The Mark as equals by any means.

If anyone has a good way of sharing videos on this site, I'm happy to post a room tour.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
We are moving away from Whitby, which I unfortunately can't say anything about either. But I can say one thing: how many Keys a hotel has in the Michelin is about as interesting to me as the average Instagram review. Absolutely no factor for me when booking.
Have you stayed there recently? What was your experience? One of our favorite people at Aman used to work at The Whitby so I wonder if other hotels have poached their best people.
Old May 22, 2024, 4:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misshoneyb
We just stayed there last month for a weekend Broadway stay and had a nice experience. The 2 rooms were clean and very spacious (Jr Suite and Superior Room).

Though the hotel is tucked on a quiet street, the Superior Rooms are on the 2nd floor so be aware of garbage pick up. I don't think my family member paid attention when booking, otherwise they would have preferred a higher floor. The hotel was sold out, so the option to upgrade even at cost wasn't available.
My Jr. Suite was on the 4th floor facing the street, but I had zero noise complaints.
Both of our rooms featured floor to ceiling windows which let in great natural light, but I can see how this may impact noise levels.
I believe there are only 6 rooms per floor so that also keeps the noise/ foot traffic down on the floors.

Turn down was simple. First night they left a pillow mist, water and a breakfast menu. The second night just water and the breakfast menu. I had requested ice (preferably crushed) during turn down in my pre- arrival email and I did receive both nights.

We did room service the first night and both mornings. Dinner food was just ok nothing too exciting, but we did like the chips and guacamole appetizer. Sadly, the wine was horrible for us both (Riesling and Pinot Noir), as we are oenophiles. A hotel of this caliber should have better quality wine.
Breakfast was the highlight for us both. Make sure you get the bacon, it's thick cut and crispy. The french toast and pancakes were great, and they will kindly make you an off menu waffle. The eggs were of good quality and even though unlisted came with potatoes (keep this in mind so you don't over order

Haven't tried the Baccarat or the Aman. We did a toss up of the Baccarat or The Whitby this trip and just went with the Whitby, so we plan to stay at Baccarat next time. From all of the Aman reviews, I am going to give it some time to gather it's footing before staying. The standard for us is The Mark, but I would not rank The Whitby and The Mark as equals by any means.

If anyone has a good way of sharing videos on this site, I'm happy to post a room tour.
Thank you for the review. Do you think The Mark is better than The Whitby? I've never stayed at The Mark but I had an unmemorable meal there once. Baccarat got too busy and service had become impersonal, but I really love the Prestige Suite category there. I'll go back eventually but it's fun to try new places. Aman grows on you after a few couple of stays. The hard product is the best in the city; there are service issues anywhere in NYC.
Old May 22, 2024, 5:39 pm

Thank you for the review. Do you think The Mark is better than The Whitby? I've never stayed at The Mark but I had an unmemorable meal there once. Baccarat got too busy and service had become impersonal, but I really love the Prestige Suite category there. I'll go back eventually but it's fun to try new places. Aman grows on you after a few couple of stays. The hard product is the best in the city; there are service issues anywhere in NYC.
Yes, even though they are both highly rated, The Mark, is the superior property. I think the food quality was better and more diverse at TM, but I know the afternoon tea is popular at TW, however we didn't try it out. Ultimately, I think the service was a bit more polished at TM. It's the small touches and attention to detail and preferences that earn it higher marks.
I'm open to staying at TW again, and I'm looking forward to staying at the Baccarat for a future comparison.
I find that my weekend trips to NYC have lessened over the past few years in favor of trips to CA and AZ. Depending what my holiday season this year or what events/ shows catch my interest next year, I may get to to Aman sooner than expected.
Michaeljinnyc and lepmd like this.
Old May 23, 2024, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Have you stayed there recently? What was your experience? One of our favorite people at Aman used to work at The Whitby so I wonder if other hotels have poached their best people.
As I said I didn't stay there so far.
Old May 23, 2024, 3:18 am

For the same price, I'd definitely do the Mark or Baccarat. $1k a night for such a small room at the Whitby is a farce. Midtown's a mess anyways. The Mark has the most perfect location in NYC personally.

The new Corinthia (formerly the Surrey) will open sometime this summer, if you can wait. Was heartbroken they closed Cafe Boulud down but the previous hotel (Surrey) was old and sort of run-down so hopefully the new one will be better.
FlyerEC likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.