Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hawaii — Yay or Nay or Sort-of or Kinda or Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2024, 1:01 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by prufrocksabogado
Enthusiastic yes for Hawaii as a mainland destination. But only with time for a proper visit - minimum of ten days. We visit several times a year from the East Coast and long haul flights make getting there and back actually relaxing. Partial to the Big Island which has four luxury properties - Four Seasons Hualalai, Rosewood Kona Village, Auberge Mauna Lani and the Mauna Kea Resort. Golf, perfect weather and an improving food scene make it a great escape. Island hopping for day trips is also fun. Not cheap of course but perfect for family time and great memories.
Welcome to Flyertalk prufrocksabogado
Old Mar 3, 2024, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Different people have different opinions, naturally. For me, Hawaii is a beautiful, happy, peaceful corner of the world, and I admire and respect the Hawaiian people, their land, and their culture. I couldn't say enough good things about it… if you don't have to worry about money, and you know where to go. A fortunate position for some.

In terms of the OP's question, I am there about six months a year for work, and I haven't found true luxury yet. However, it's not something I miss there. It would almost seem unnecessary to me, as the place itself offers so much in terms of what I want to be doing with my leisure time (generally, hike, surf, spa, eat). I wonder if a Hawaiian would feel that true luxury has a place in Hawaii or not. I wouldn't think it is my place to offer an opinion on that.

Was the Mandarin Oriental in Kahala decent? I visited once ages ago, but don't remember much. I know they are building apartments near Ala Moana now, but I don't know if that will include anything for non-residents.
Michaeljinnyc likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 8:47 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am definitely a Hawaii fan..But I have an advantage as my partner did her dissertation on a Hawaiian language and hence knows all sorts of information about almost everything on Hawaii. Definitely enriches a trip!.

As moderator, I'm a bit less convinced whether this thread should be in the luxury hotel or the Hawaii forum. But for now, happy to let it sit here and see how it goes.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Different people have different opinions, naturally. For me, Hawaii is a beautiful, happy, peaceful corner of the world, and I admire and respect the Hawaiian people, their land, and their culture. I couldn't say enough good things about it… if you don't have to worry about money, and you know where to go. A fortunate position for some.

In terms of the OP's question, I am there about six months a year for work, and I haven't found true luxury yet. However, it's not something I miss there. It would almost seem unnecessary to me, as the place itself offers so much in terms of what I want to be doing with my leisure time (generally, hike, surf, spa, eat). I wonder if a Hawaiian would feel that true luxury has a place in Hawaii or not. I wouldn't think it is my place to offer an opinion on that.

Was the Mandarin Oriental in Kahala decent? I visited once ages ago, but don't remember much. I know they are building apartments near Ala Moana now, but I don't know if that will include anything for non-residents.
It stopped being a MO since 2006.
Old Mar 3, 2024, 10:49 pm

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
It stopped being a MO since 2006.
Yes, that's my understanding also. What I was wondering about above is whether or not it was decent from the perspective of this luxury hotel forum. I visited once ages ago, but don't remember much. I know they are building apartments near Ala Moana now, but I don't know if that will include anything for non-residents.
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:11 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Before I liked luxury hotels, I was a Naval Officer on a Pearl Harbor submarine from 2002-2005. I shared a tiny stateroom, usually with 2 other offices! This was a time of my life when my parents and my in-laws were all alive and well and our own kids were the perfect age 4-9. Because of the time in our life when we lived there, the Hawaiian Islands are extra special to us.

These days, I am a luxury snob. I go on safari 2-3x per year usually including 1 or more Singita, reserve level Great Plains property, Royal Portfolio property (or similar). On my recent, personal trips outside of Africa, I have been on an Aman trip in SE Asia, Four Seasons Bora Bora, Southern Ocean Lodge, and Ponant (A&K charter) to Antarctica.

I feel you look for luxury in slightly different ways in Hawaii. The “hardware” might not always be as impressive as the shiniest, newest stuff in other parts of the World. Just being able to rent a car and safely drive around has some value that translates to luxury, for me. There is more.

When held captive at any resort (Four Seasons Bora Bora, Antarctica Cruise), I find the food slips a bit due to lack of competition. Not so in America! One group of comments above that I most identify with focuses on the luxury of food in a competitive environment (where locals eat as well). The other is the luxury of nature, especially on Kauau. Like a few above, I always go back to Waikiki. One reason is because it is the only airport in Hawaii with a non-stop to Minnesota.

We tried to do our recent trip the best way possible except the two hotels in Oahu which were deliberately chosen for reasons described below. The trip was built around a villa rental on Kauau on VRBO. It turned out to be the finest collection of properties I saw anywhere on the south side of the Island (and we looked hard). Here is the website: https://wailani-kauai.com/

On the above website, you can search properties in the area called Kukui’ula. It is roughly ½ mile up the hill from the Poipu and Baby Beach on the south shore of Kauai. We rented a 3br called Kainani Villa #5. It had one giant master br with a tub and indoor and outdoor shower. The master bedroom looked like One & Only Cape Town with a bigger bathroom. The two ensuite, smaller rooms had queen beds and were great for adult kids. If you pretend to make a booking, you can see a photo gallery of this unit and lots of details. Other 5br and even 6br homes show up in search.

I did not personally observe a nicer property, hotel, or home on the Island, especially the Poipu area, than what we rented. My wife and did a lot of driving around the streets and past ever single hotel on the south shore. To be fair, I did not walk around Princeville (north shore). I stayed at Princeville in 2004.

Here is what we did.

Feb 112 Non-stop MSP-Honolulu on Delta. I based my dates around days when Delta One had few seats sold. I bought Premium Select and got upgraded to Delta One both directions. My status is Diamond Medalion Million Miler.

Feb 12,13,14 Stayed on Oahu at The Kahala Resort. Solid four star. This has historical significance to my family as we would lunch there when I was in the Navy and their pool was open to lunch guests (our kids). If you Google map the property you will note the only non-busy beach on the south shore of Oahu which is the only swimmable side of the Island in the winter due to north shore waves. Beachfront walk out room (upgrade due to Pati Alejo at Classic). Dinner at Roy’s, 53 By the Sea, and Doraku Sushi (owned by son of Benihana founder). Disappointed by 53 By the Sea set menu for Valentine’s day, a very tomato tasting seafood broth.

Feb 15-24 We rented the 3br property on the south shore of Kauau on VRBO. Loved it! Highlights were lots of great hikes including the Waimea Canyon, Na’pali Coast Trail and many delicious meals at tasty restaurants (Beach House x 2, Eating House 1849 x 1, Brennecke’s x 1, Keoki’s Paradise x 2). Maybe would not do Brennecke’s again. Best poke bowl of my life at Koloa Fish Market. Daughter and son in law did four 100 ft dives with a local scuba operator. They were gone from 6am to noon on two consecutive days. The south shore also has the smaller waves in our winter. Our kids were with us Feb 17-24. The place we rented was much nicer than I expected and after much driving around, I did not see anything nicer. Almost all tourists are American. We rented a minivan for all six of us and a Nissan Sentra for the kids so we did not have to share a car.

Feb 25,26 Wife and I returned to Oahu and stayed at the Westin Moana Surfrider, Diamond Head Wing Ocean Front Balcony Room. It is a stretch to be a four star due to crowds. Lots of jean shorts and tank-tops. This is on the east end of very busy Waikiki beach. We like to spend a few days in Waikiki each trip. It reminds us of South Beach in Miami (our kids went to U of Miami) but with Asian influence instead of South American. Waikiki was overrun with tourists, but we expected that. About 50% of the tourists are from the US and 25% from Japan. I heard many Germanic accents as well. Dinner reservations are a must! We were tired of fish and ate one meal at Morton’s and one at the hotel. In retrospect, I wish we stayed at The Halekulani which I am very familiar with. The Westin is the oldest hotel in Hawaii and has been under many brands over the years. Westin took over in 2011. My grandfather used to stay here a lot when he did business on Oahu selling water softening chemicals and equipment to the sugar processing industry back in the 20s and 30s. My Dad has stayed at the hotel countless times since he was a boy.

Feb 27 Flew home non-stop on Delta. 630pm take off and 630am landing so the flight is nice.

Craig Beal – owner – Travel Beyond
Old Mar 4, 2024, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by SafariCraig

Moderator's note: I deleted a recopy of the long post just above to make the thread flow more smoothly.

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
Love this post. Just took a look at the room and it's lovely, but I can't get over how much of a pain VRBO/AirBNB is these days with their "fees":

Rent $5,818.00
Booking Fee $200.00
Cleaning Fee $600.00
Damage Waiver $75.00
Credit Card Processing Fee $217.52
Tax: $1,202.19
Total Cost: $8,112.71
Total Due Now: $2,028.18

Nearly 20% on top of room price! Sheesh. 200 USD for the "luxury" of... "booking"?! a credit card processing fee in 2024? a non-refundable damage waiver AND a cleaning fee?

Last edited by RichardInSF; Mar 5, 2024 at 2:34 pm Reason: Delete recopy of long post immediately above
Old Mar 4, 2024, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion, Million Miler, AMEX Platinum Card
Originally Posted by Smiley90
Love this post. Just took a look at the room and it's lovely, but I can't get over how much of a pain VRBO/AirBNB is these days with their "fees":

Rent $5,818.00
Booking Fee $200.00
Cleaning Fee $600.00
Damage Waiver $75.00
Credit Card Processing Fee $217.52
Tax: $1,202.19
Total Cost: $8,112.71
Total Due Now: $2,028.18

Nearly 20% on top of room price! Sheesh. 200 USD for the "luxury" of... "booking"?! a credit card processing fee in 2024? a non-refundable damage waiver AND a cleaning fee?
I will work directly with the property management company next time but they have a similar breakdown. Be aware of construction in the neighborhood if you do rent. It is still being built out. I have a video of the entire unit on my phone if anyone wants it. Beds unmade!
Old Mar 4, 2024, 6:04 pm
Community Director Emerita

@SafariCraig, I love southwest Kauai and really appreciate your details on your stay there. We stay at Waimea Plantation Cottages which is anything but luxury, but we love the individual homes that are face the water. Stepping up in comfort appeals very much. Thank you.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by KatW
Loved too the old Hana Maui 30 years ago.
Oh, yes! The *old* Hana Maui was a truly wonderful, magical hotel. I was there way back in the 1980s. It had the feel of an Aman mixed with the charm of 'old school' Hawaii. It was isolated, hard to get to, with sublime service. It was an intoxicating place! Nowadays, it seems to have all the charm of a Hilton in Florida.

I also have a soft spot in my heart for the Halekulani. Despite its size, it was a really lovely, and superbly managed hotel. Surprisingly, I always found it to have the feel--especially in terms of service--of a classic luxury hotel as opposed to a modern urban resort. Yes, I get all the caterwauling, eye-rolling and clutching-of-pearls over Waikiki but the Halekulani was a true refuge from the commotion of Honolulu (a city that does have its charms, btw). I fondly remember having cocktails and nibbles in the hotel's beautiful and quiet gardens, all magically lit at night. And for all of Waikiki's tackiness, there was still something exhilarating about waking up each morning to that glorious view of Diamondhead and the surf crashing onto the beach.

Just writing this makes me long to go back to the Halekulani. But it has been roughly 30 years since my last visit and I fear what I would now find. I suppose it would be like meeting up with a lover from one's long lost youth.
Buster CT1K and United747 like this.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by Vaterland
Just writing this makes me long to go back to the Halekulani. But it has been roughly 30 years since my last visit and I fear what I would now find. I suppose it would be like meeting up with a lover from one's long lost youth.
My parents stayed at Halekulani for some time during their honeymoon in the 1960s. Even today, they enjoy it, though they say it is much different than the smaller, simpler bungalows they remember. The remaining large kiawe tree fell over one night a few years ago, but some of it remains, beautiful and leafy.

You may occasionally find me there before sunset, with a first edition of the appropriate Earl Biggers book.
Old Mar 24, 2024, 6:06 am

Programs: AA 1MM/Gold, Marriott Gold
We’ve had been to Maui a couple of times and Kauai a couple of times, and then went to Oahu/Waikiki and the Lanai for the first time last August.

We are a yes on Hawaii even with living on the east coast. We generally fly AA through DFW to get the real lie flat biz class vs through LAX on the domestic A321s.

Last trip stayed at the Laylow in Waikiki which we liked, and then at the FS Lanai, which if it isn’t luxury, it’s really damn close. And maybe the best hotel breakfast we’ve had anywhere.

We like Hawaii for the cultural blend, including the Asian influence, it’s really unique. Have been to various SE Asian and Caribbean locales, but the only tropical/beach area that we like better than Hawaii is the Guanacaste region of Costa Rica.
johnboston and ExpatExp like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.