Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan outside of Tokyo (newer thread, started 1/2024)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
This thread is the continuation of a very long older thread located at

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Luxury hotels of Japan outside of Tokyo (newer thread, started 1/2024)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:14 pm

Luxury hotels/ryokan outside of "Central" Tokyo

Hi everyone,

​​​​​I'm curious if any hotels/ryokan in the Tokyo region (let's say from Tama east to Narita, then Kawagoe skipping central Tokyo but down to Nakameguro and Shinagawa) have a home in this thread.

If not, could any of you still muster a recommendation?

Cheers,
FFF
Old Mar 11, 2024, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by FindingFoodFluency_
Hi everyone,

​​​​​I'm curious if any hotels/ryokan in the Tokyo region (let's say from Tama east to Narita, then Kawagoe skipping central Tokyo but down to Nakameguro and Shinagawa) have a home in this thread.

If not, could any of you still muster a recommendation?

Cheers,
FFF
Not in this thread, but in this one!

Japan Luxury Ryokans - A Primer + Impressions
Old Mar 13, 2024, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Intercontinental Osaka

My verdict would be: Good for business travel/work but a toss up for Luxury Forum worthy.

This is actually one of the better Osaka luxury properties out there but speaks to the dearth of true luxury in the city.

A proper work desk but the Club Lounge is also spacious and available to work at all-day. The CL opens at 6:30am but they don't begin food service until 7am. I would recommend ordering everything you want at once because they get backed up and work at a "leisurely" pace.
​​​​​All-day beer and champagne is available.

1 Bedroom City view suite.

Toto auto flushes but doesn't rise up to greet you.
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 2:12 am
Original Poster

Checked-in to the RC Fukuoka today

Did not like it. Was very stuffy and very detached from the rest of the city. Generic “could be anywhere” decor and rooms.

As I was walking into the arrival lobby just now, an employee abruptly stopped me and asked where I was going... didn’t even apologize when I told him I was a guest…

Oh and it also charges for pool and sauna lol
scented likes this.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc

Did not like it. Was very stuffy and very detached from the rest of the city. Generic “could be anywhere” decor and rooms.

As I was walking into the arrival lobby just now, an employee abruptly stopped me and asked where I was going... didn’t even apologize when I told him I was a guest…

There's always Grand Hyatt or Hotel Nikko.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 7:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
There's always Grand Hyatt or Hotel Nikko.
Nikko? Seriously lmao?

Miyako hotel and With the style look better than the GH
Old Mar 16, 2024, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone here stayed at the Portom International Hokkaido in CTS airport? Looks very nice but not many reviews so was curious if FT had any thoughts.
Old Mar 16, 2024, 3:56 pm

It’s nice. Onsen is dark and indoors only, like the rest of the hotel.
well soundproofed with runway views.
anything you want to know?
Old Mar 16, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.1MM , Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Cynicor
It’s nice. Onsen is dark and indoors only, like the rest of the hotel.
well soundproofed with runway views.
anything you want to know?
Thank you! Is there room service or an a la carte menu for dinner? I can only find the fixed set menu for dinner. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2024, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc

Any recommendations to book for Fukuoka?

Planning to go for a couple nights in November but there aren’t a lot of options. RC seems a bit overpriced
Old May 1, 2024, 2:11 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by op487062

Planning to go for a couple nights in November but there aren’t a lot of options. RC seems a bit overpriced
It's really the RC or nothing. At the current exchange rates, I wouldn't consider RC Fukuoka to be overpriced relative to RCs in other parts of the world.

While I'm not a Fukuoka expert, alternatives include (but may not be limited to) Garden Terrace Fukuoka and Not A Hotel Fukuoka. The latter has funky room designs and they are all different, so choose wisely. All rooms are at least 1000 square feet, which is good.

Another option is Hotel Cultia. It's not in the center - it's in Dazaifu. As is the case with Not A Hotel, there are dramatic differences in room types - some look like typical, tatami-matted ryokan-style rooms, while others look like it was taken from a ski chalet.
Old May 1, 2024, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

There's not much to see in Fukuoka, and I personally didn't like it. Save your time by going to nearby towns like Yufuin or Karatsu instead. Fukuoka's more like a stopover city for them.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:22 am

I'm really not sure if theirs any luxury hotels outside of the RC. Non luxury hotels, close to city-center that look nice are Miyako Hotel Hakata and HE BLOSSOM HAKATA Premier. However, both I think are 4 star hotels and probably doesn't earn a spot being mentioned in this thread, but for general location, amenities, room size etc. I think it's a solid alternative.
Old May 2, 2024, 7:23 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osxunf
I'm really not sure if theirs any luxury hotels outside of the RC. Non luxury hotels, close to city-center that look nice are Miyako Hotel Hakata and HE BLOSSOM HAKATA Premier. However, both I think are 4 star hotels and probably doesn't earn a spot being mentioned in this thread, but for general location, amenities, room size etc. I think it's a solid alternative.
And there's the Grand Hyatt as well.
Old May 2, 2024, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
It's really the RC or nothing. At the current exchange rates, I wouldn't consider RC Fukuoka to be overpriced relative to RCs in other parts of the world.

While I'm not a Fukuoka expert, alternatives include (but may not be limited to) Garden Terrace Fukuoka and Not A Hotel Fukuoka. The latter has funky room designs and they are all different, so choose wisely. All rooms are at least 1000 square feet, which is good.

Another option is Hotel Cultia. It's not in the center - it's in Dazaifu. As is the case with Not A Hotel, there are dramatic differences in room types - some look like typical, tatami-matted ryokan-style rooms, while others look like it was taken from a ski chalet.
Each Not a Hotel room also has its own gimmick. A Bang Olufsen sound room, Hot tub sauna room, Chef's kitchen room, etc. I prefer the traditional luxury comforts of the RC. It might be RC room design cookie cutter according to some in this forum but it doesn't look like anywhere else in Fukuoka, IMO.
KI-NRT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.