Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Luxury hotels of Japan outside of Tokyo (newer thread, started 1/2024)

Old Jan 7, 2024, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RichardInSF
This thread is the continuation of a very long older thread located at

Luxury hotels of Japan (outside of Tokyo)

Please also see this outstanding thread in which KI-NRT has reviewed a number of luxury ryokan:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

And here's a link to the main thread discussing luxury hotels in Tokyo:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/show...ferrerid=14479

Print Wikipost

Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
The only luxury choice for LF members when going to Fukuoka. Stunning hardware and lightyears beyond the renovated but still tired looking Grand Hyatt. I would say easily worthy the high price tag.

The Club Lounge is pretty much an all-day high quality restaurant and lounge The downside is that you would miss out on all the delicious eats out in Tenjin.
I'll post pictures later.

A gorgeous Japanese aesthetic going on at RC Fukuoka. Almost like being in a modern Japanese art museum. It's evident that the owners spent a lot in making this the top luxury property in Fukuoka.

The hardware is absolutely among the best Japanese luxury properties but service levels are still a work in progress. The Club Lounge staff should be explaining the Club meal times and what's on offer instead of just passing a crisp RC sheet over.

Best hotel pool in Fukuoka
Included for suite guests but chargeable per person for everyone else (3800 yen for 2 hours). Paid and had it all to ourselves for a lazy afternoon. Time limit should be abolished.

The rates are higher or equal to Tokyo luxury hotels. Don't know how long this will sustain.

Personally I would never pay that much in Fukuoka
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:52 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
The rates are higher or equal to Tokyo luxury hotels. Don't know how long this will sustain.

Personally I would never pay that much in Fukuoka
Supply and demand, I suppose.

Where would you stay in Fukuoka then, luxury hotel wise?
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KI-NRT
Supply and demand, I suppose.

Where would you stay in Fukuoka then, luxury hotel wise?
I wouldn't seek for luxury properties in Fukuoka, since except the RC it doesn't have any.

A regular 5-star like the GH would do
Old Jan 7, 2024, 3:05 am
Aman Contributor Badge

I wouldn't seek for luxury properties in Fukuoka, since except the RC it doesn't have any.

I don't know that I'd go as far as claiming that RC Fukuoka has Tokyo-esque rates. Random sample, I know, but just checked their respective websites for 2 nights / 2 guests, from March 20-22, 2024.

RC Fukuoka: 50m guest room, flexible rate: 84,000 JPY
RC Tokyo: 52m guest room, flexible rate: 195,000 JPY

Looking at Golden Week dates, the gap narrows a bit, but rates are still about 40% lower at RC Fukuoka.

Everyone needs to make their own value judgments. In terms of the top luxury property in Fukuoka, however, it appears that RC stands alone - I'll take Aventine's word (and photos) for it.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 4:24 am
Original Poster

I don't know that I'd go as far as claiming that RC Fukuoka has Tokyo-esque rates. Random sample, I know, but just checked their respective websites for 2 nights / 2 guests, from March 20-22, 2024.

Looking at Golden Week dates, the gap narrows a bit, but rates are still about 40% lower at RC Fukuoka.

Everyone needs to make their own value judgments. In terms of the top luxury property in Fukuoka, however, it appears that RC stands alone - I'll take Aventine's word (and photos) for it.
Tokyo has other hotels. I wasnt referring to the RC.

March is low season and Conrad/Andaz/Okura are around $500-600 and a lot better
Old Jan 7, 2024, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Grand Hyatt is more of a true 4* for this forum. Their rooms were cheaply renovated and suites not even done. The lounge was newly renovated but stopped serving champagne. I would pay what RC Fukuoka is calling for because the property is worth 2-3x as much as any other competitor.

Grand Hyatt is a distant, distant 2nd place. It might as well be in last place as luxury is concerned. The only way GH is competing with RC would be to raze the current building and start from scratch.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 7, 2024 at 6:11 am
Old Jan 11, 2024, 6:48 pm

March is low season
End of March is actually high season due to sakura. Start of season is predicted to be March 23 in Tokyo
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wish Andaz Tokyo was still at $500-600. These are weekday rates as well. Eyewatering but the new Tokyo normal.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

RC Reserve Niseko vs PH Niseko vs Hinode Hills

RC Reserve
- Fewest keys at 50 rooms and suites (definitely less crowded than PH or Hinode Hills)
- High quality everything from room hardware to breakfast
- Eager to serve and polished service. Free valet parking.
- Better views of Mt Yotei. Awesome snow and nature views from bathtub. PH has mountain views from their onsen but you're also seeing a lot of other distractions (LV popup, etc)

Hinode Hills
- Every suite has a full kitchenette with laundry machines. However, 1 bedroom suite is more of a Jr. suite because only a tv wall separates living room from bedroom. 2BDR is more of a true suite.
- Miele appliances!
- Bathrooms have no views
- Least crowded skiing with excellent runs
- Mediocre restaurant.

PH Niseko
- Huge, spacious all-suites
- Onsen in-room
- Newest lifts-and fastest gondolas
- Crass Louis Vuitton Pop-up shop/collaboration
- Terrible, lazy effort at breakfast and F&B in general.

Pancakes should be made to order at this price point.
-Absent management who doesn't seem to inspire or teach the staff on how a PH should be run.
-Underground parking
This is probably the worst Category 8 high-end Hyatt ever and maybe the worst Hyatt property in Japan. Don't waste your yen or Hyatt points here.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 14, 2024 at 8:59 am
Old Jan 14, 2024, 8:49 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Still a ridiculous take. Fukuoka is not Tokyo, and rates are determined by supply and demand. Nobody is going to decide between the two cities based on comparative luxury hotel rates.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still a ridiculous take. Fukuoka is not Tokyo, and rates are determined by supply and demand. Nobody is going to decide between the two cities based on comparative luxury hotel rates.
Marriott also uses variable room rates. Guests are going to pay RC Fukuoka if they want the absolute best luxury in Fukuoka City and may be even the entire prefecture. Period. IC Beppu might be a slight luxury competitor but it's in Beppu.
KI-NRT likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:03 am

- Crass Louis Vuitton Pop-up shop/collaboration
Thank you! It's an embarrassing eyesore. A carnival attraction at best.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Thank you! It's an embarrassing eyesore. A carnival attraction at best.
They branded the gondolas and lifts too. It's disgusting. Attracted influencers, LV VVIPs, sugarbabies and just a lot of other hotels' guests. I've begun to really hate LVMH after seeing it all around PH for 3 days.

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 14, 2024 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 14, 2024, 2:57 pm

Thats Niseko and especially Hanazono in a nutshell.
Biggest problem with the PH Niseko is the lack of runs on the Hanazono side. Much prefer the Higashiyama side.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:20 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC

So, this is an example of a marketing campaign that's on-message? In a word, "dopey." And BTW, fire the "creative director" in charge, pronto.
MattEvan and Michaeljinnyc like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.