test
Print Wikipost

New Aman/Janu + Azerai/Azumi + GHM/Ahn Luh - '24/'25-Edition

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2024, 9:13 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
After some brief correspondence with the hotel (we tried to book for a stay last fall) my understanding is the closure is not to "amanize" but to renovate and expand ahead of the Olympics. I really like the old decor, so we will see where they go with the new. Granted they didn't have much of a selection of higher end rooms, but what does in the area?
well, Aman’s official communication says Rosa Alpina in Italy to reopen as an Aman hotel and that JM Gathy is in charge of the project.

Also, media says Aman bought 49% of the property, and they are doing what doesn’t look just like a renovation, but more like a major demolition (main building, reception, restaurants, lobby, spa, bar and many rooms are totally gone) and rebuilding.

so, I would be VERY surprised if we end up with something that doesn’t looks like an Aman in every way.

And
Fliar and deer like this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:23 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
well, Aman’s official communication says Rosa Alpina in Italy to reopen as an Aman hotel and that JM Gathy is in charge of the project.

Also, media says Aman bought 49% of the property, and they are doing what doesn’t look just like a renovation, but more like a major demolition (main building, reception, restaurants, lobby, spa, bar and many rooms are totally gone) and rebuilding.

so, I would be VERY surprised if we end up with something that doesn’t looks like an Aman in every way.

And
Well that would be a good thing IMO. As long as some of the issues you mentioned are addressed. I am surprised by the lack of luxury offerings in the Italian Dolomites (proper, obviously excluding properties around the Lakes). Is it that the intersection of active people and people wanting luxury is small? Or that the intersection is only there in winter and that isn't enough to support a true luxury property? Cortina has the Cristallo -- but if I was being snobby about it, based on its size, I would say it is borderline luxury. Not much else that I am aware of.
Fliar likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:47 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by ridefar
Well that would be a good thing IMO. As long as some of the issues you mentioned are addressed. I am surprised by the lack of luxury offerings in the Italian Dolomites (proper, obviously excluding properties around the Lakes). Is it that the intersection of active people and people wanting luxury is small? Or that the intersection is only there in winter and that isn't enough to support a true luxury property? Cortina has the Cristallo -- but if I was being snobby about it, based on its size, I would say it is borderline luxury. Not much else that I am aware of.
I think it’s a mix between the destination not being so internationally recognized and the peak season being very short (winter high season essentially goes from mid-December to end of February).

That being said, I believe the Cristallo closed for renovations and becoming a Mandarin Oriental?
FlyerEC, Fliar and ridefar like this.
Old Jan 6, 2024, 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Thank you . That is quite a bit of information. As a Los Angeles resident, the proposed Beverly Hills location makes little sense. The Waldorf is on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Blvd.
Across the street at Wilshire and Santa Monica is the legendary fountain and I can not believe that the BH city council would approve a large hotel in that location.
Aman Beverly Hills is planned to be between the Beverly Hilton and the Los Angeles Country Club at the One Beverly Hills development site. So not exactly on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica.

Here are links to the development:

https://www.fosterandpartners.com/pr...-beverly-hills

https://onebeverlyhills.com/
Fliar and deer like this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amanjunkie, LH SEN
Originally Posted by Fliar
This list could do with a good update.
Just updated the first sector (AMAN & JANU).
Any additions or corrections welcome - just post here and I will update in the threadstarters!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:17 am

Programs: some
Originally Posted by deer
Just updated the first sector (AMAN & JANU).
Any additions or corrections welcome - just post here and I will update in the threadstarters!
As others have suggested, I think this would be better as a wiki page.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fliar
As others have suggested, I think this would be better as a wiki page.
For me it seems nice to have update-posts here in this thread, so everybody can read and follow + see when something new is happening and post fotos like from Rosa Alpina and from Bangkok. Also it's very convienient to see and recapitualte the history of the last 10 years in the older "New Amanresort"-threads. So of course somebody else could open a parallel Wiki - I would like to keep this thread as a thread!
Old Jan 8, 2024, 6:21 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
Janu Tokyo seems to be on track, they’re sending me Instagram ads. Opening March and Y170,000 base rate.
Old Feb 12, 2024, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ADD a wiki but do not let others edit deer's posts
if FT no longer allows ADDING a separate wiki, then it's up to FT to start allowing it again
ADDING a wiki is what i started doing in my threads, as soon as i knew about it

nytimes.com/2022/09/23/t-magazine/wanderlust-hotels-new-zealand-sheep-farm-thailand-railcar.html
Thirty years after accepting founder Adrian Zecha’s invitation to join the nascent Aman Resorts...Joseph Polito purchased...bed-and-breakfast in Bennington, Vermont...Polito insists that none of these material elements matter as much as meaningful human interactions. The Aman manager turned real-life Bob Newhart chats with every guest, recommending nearby canoeing lakes, deserted swimming holes and cross-country ski trails, as well as neighborhood treasures like the world-renowned collection of Grandma Moses folk paintings at the Bennington Museum, poet Robert Frost’s grave at Old First Church and Vermont Shepherd sheep milk cheeses. “Mr. Zecha taught us to take care of people as if they were guests in our own home,” says Polito. “This costs nothing but makes all the difference.” Rooms from $225, including breakfast; southshire.com.
“This costs nothing but makes all the difference.”
1992 - 1996 Amanresorts Executive Assistant Manager - Amanpuri and The Strand
1996 - 2004 Oberoi General Manager - Lombok, Sahl Hasheesh, Udaivilas
2005 - 2007 Hotel De la Paix Siem Reap (currently Park Hyatt) General Manager
2018 - 2020 The Dewberry Charleston Managing Director, and General Manager
maybe worth thread for properties run by ex aman (who were best regarded)
or maybe deer would be ok with having that in 'upcoming aman' thread

azerai.com/resorts/azerai-can-tho/pool-villas
azerai.com/resorts/azerai-can-tho/accommodations/mekong-villa
Private dock, spa, gym, pizza oven, movie theater, 7x20m pool

azerai.com/resorts/azerai-ke-ga-bay/accommodations/ke-ga-bay-pavilion

could have been interesting as aman >
bulgarihotels.com/en_US/los-angeles
Santa Monica Mountains less than five miles from Rodeo Drive, the property will be surrounded by 33 acres of a stunning hillside park, natural wildlife and breathtaking views. Plans call for 58 Rooms and Suites and eight private estates
robbreport.com/shelter/vacation-homes/aman-new-york-home-rentals-1234893427
aman.com/hotels/aman-new-york/homes-aman-new-york
square feet matches these units >
19A
17C or 18C (18A has been listed for sale by buyer)

add wiki post
seems different than it used to be, but still something
FlyerEC likes this.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 12, 2024 at 1:37 pm
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:32 pm

Aman Dubai

As we expected (or feared), VD has confirmed Aman Dubai and the website is up. Bright Start will be the owner - the same as the two FS there. Architected by Kerry Hill. As if Dubai wasn’t already inflated, press reports indicate that Aman will become the most expensive resort in Dubai.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by sandeep.thilakan
As we expected (or feared), VD has confirmed Aman Dubai and the website is up. Bright Start will be the owner - the same as the two FS there. Architected by Kerry Hill. As if Dubai wasn’t already inflated, press reports indicate that Aman will become the most expensive resort in Dubai.
I agree... this atrocity is being discussed over various threads
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2024, 9:28 pm

This antidote to the city amans ?

https://www.daya-voyage.com/en

actually saw the Thimphu River view hotel last year without realising what it was going to be.
apparently more Bhutan locations identified in remote areas too.
scented, FlyerEC and deer like this.
Old Mar 23, 2024, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

No more understatement: Aman Dubai, Aman Saudi & Aman Beverly,

Article about these three now confirmed new Amans:
https://www.thenationalnews.com/trav...man-dubai-uae/

Not for people with money who enjoy laid back understatement in hidden places, but pure poser club crowd pleasers… So sad!
Old Mar 23, 2024, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by deer
Article about these three now confirmed new Amans:
https://www.thenationalnews.com/trav...man-dubai-uae/

Not for people with money who enjoy laid back understatement in hidden places, but pure poser club crowd pleasers… So sad!
1 and 3 are for VD. The 2nd one for a certain investment fund.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 7:46 am

Programs: Too many...and an Amanjunkie
As it was raining cats and dogs in South Tyrol yesterday (Easter Sunday) I had some time to kill so I decided to make the long trek from Merano to San Cassiano through inclement weather to check out the construction status of Aman Rosa Alpina.

This is the public construction site notice:

Here are the pics I took from the site:

Still squeezed in and attached to another restaurant/supermarket building complex:

As Christopher mentioned previously, it is a major redevelopment and extension of the previous property. All major structures show new concrete walls, in a few older parts which they kept they closed existing window openings with masonry. The major thing visible they seem to keep from the previous building is this small tower:

This seems to become an entrance which opens up into a large high ceiling room with full views of the opposite hillside:

View from the hill/bypass road side:

Judging by the construction and the supposed invest of 200 mill. Euro the interior should fit Aman standards easily. However, I second Christopher’s judgment that the location is subpar for an Aman although being similiar to Le Melezin's in-village location.
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
I did and it’s not just the hard product (which they are completely redoing apparently), but the location in the middle of the village, with the village main street on one side and the bypass road just below the hotel on the other side, with constant truck noise. No views, no seclusion, no Aman location.
The location seems to be ok to go skiing in the area but pales in comparison to the Forestis site concerning seclusion, views and easy accessibility. I also wonder if Niederkofler comes back to the property after completion as he's fully dedicated to his new resto in Bruneck which is a great success from what I hear.

Last edited by ngfan; Apr 2, 2024 at 4:07 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.