Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Barcelona & Mallorca for summer family trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2023, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Barcelona & Mallorca for summer family trip

Considering a trip to Barcelona and Mallorca this summer. Didn't find any recent posts covering either location. Will be traveling with our 2 year old son.

What's the best for Barcelona? I know the market isn't great for hotels and MO perhaps is one of the better options but the suites are quite pricey thus want to see what else is out there. Looking to find a property that can handle babysitting arrangements, etc. and has a good location.

For Mallorca leaning towards Belmond - La Residencia, however wondering if anyone has stayed recently. Any stays at the Virgin property Son Bunyola? Any others to look into?
Old Dec 17, 2023, 4:14 pm
Original Member

No suggestions but a whole lot of envy.
Old Dec 17, 2023, 11:56 pm

Programs: Some
I’ve spent a lot of time in the last few years bouncing between London and Spain (principally the Balearics, Madrid and Barcelona).

MO is the best in Barcelona, no doubt, but it’s a pretty mediocre MO / Barcelona is a terrible market for luxury hotels, so if the premium over other hotels is large (which it often is) I’d be tempted to skip it. The EDITION is probably the next best hotel in Barcelona and I also like Serras.

If you plan to stay in Palma on Mallorca, both Sant Francesc Hotel Singular and Can Bordoy are excellent.

The one thing I can’t cover is the child-friendliness of the above, but suspect La Residencia will be a lot better than my Palma suggestions above with children.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
The one thing I can’t cover is the child-friendliness of the above, but suspect La Residencia will be a lot better than my Palma suggestions above with children.
When I stayed at La Residecia some children were there. I would also consider St. Regis, they have a huge area for children.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
I would also consider St. Regis, they have a huge area for children.
And one for Germans too
Old Dec 18, 2023, 1:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

And one for Germans too
I know, I wrote about it Nevertheless the best kids-facilities I know on the island. Not the biggest fan of La Residencia and if the city-hotels are a great option with kids is another question.

My recommendation would be Cap Rocat - Adults only
Old Dec 18, 2023, 8:21 pm
Original Poster

Any watchouts with La Residencia based on your stay? Hard to get excited about the St. Regis but I guess when traveling with a kid priorities change. Will look into it.

Will look into the other suggestions in Barcelona as well.
Old Dec 18, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
MO is the best in Barcelona, no doubt, but it’s a pretty mediocre MO / Barcelona is a terrible market for luxury hotels, so if the premium over other hotels is large (which it often is) I’d be tempted to skip it. The EDITION is probably the next best hotel in Barcelona and I also like Serras.
IMO El Palace is the best option after MO, especially with children. They have family suites and are overall quite kids friendly for an urban hotel. During summer they also have an open air cinema on the rooftop which can be a nice experience for kids.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 1:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kajonesbu
Any watchouts with La Residencia based on your stay? Hard to get excited about the St. Regis but I guess when traveling with a kid priorities change. Will look into it.

Will look into the other suggestions in Barcelona as well.
My stay was in 2016, that was a long time ago. Renovations were definitely necessary back then, that should have happened in the meantime. Personally, I wasn't really impressed, but it's without a doubt a good hotel.
I understand that you're not impressed with the St. Regis. I'm not a huge fan either. But what is true is that the facilities are good. There is a separate pool for children and a beautiful playground next to it.
If it helps here some reports from me:
La Residencia 2016
Mardavall 2016
Mardavall 2020
The 2020 is the whole Trip-Report, Mardavall beginning with post 11.
Satie likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 2:11 am

Also, Four Seasons Formentor in Mallorca is supposed to opened in June (the owners did a press release in October). The works have progressed a lot and they are already starting some room interior tests. But of course it may be delayed and no idea when FS will start selling it.
scented likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2023, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by Satie
Also, Four Seasons Formentor in Mallorca is supposed to opened in June (the owners did a press release in October). The works have progressed a lot and they are already starting some room interior tests. But of course it may be delayed and no idea when FS will start selling it.
Recruiting is in full swing, too. Aiming for summer 2024...
Old Dec 20, 2023, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by scented
Recruiting is in full swing, too. Aiming for summer 2024...
yes true! And they have recently named a GM, Estreya Gosalbez, the current FS Whistler GM.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Satie
yes true! And they have recently named a GM, Estreya Gosalbez, the current FS Whistler GM.
Thanks all! Four Seasons is generally a safe bet and they're terrific with families so that would be a top option if they're open by August (big if of course).
Old Dec 23, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm really looking forward to the opening of the Four Seasons and will definitely be trying it out. But, when considering the hotel, you have to consider its location. As far as beach holidays are concerned, you will probably have a good time there (good hotel beaches are an absolute rarity on Mallorca). Those looking for peace and quiet will also most likely be satisfied. However, if you want to explore the island, the location is not particularly favourable, it's quite a long drive to most places.
Old Apr 27, 2024, 7:57 am

Has anyone stayed at Can Ferrereta yet? Debating it for next month and it seems to be getting some rave reviews. Same owner as Hotel Singular so hopefully similar standards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.