Malle ist nur einmal im Jahr!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Malle ist nur einmal im Jahr!

OK, many of you will be irritated by the title. I used the title as I intended to use it for some months. It should be a jauntily report about Mallorca in the spring. Due to the actual situation of course another title like "3 days before the shutdown" would be more suitable but I decided to Keep the old one.
The most important thing at the beginning: The Travel took place from 7th to 14th March, so shortly before the whole situation with Corona exploded. I thought long about canceling it but as at this time you didn´t get back any money from airlines we decided to go. During our stay we weren´t much affected by the virus, with minor excemptions everything went as normal. We also took our flight back home without problems, I guess 3 days later it would have been different. So if I think about it I wouldn´t take the risk again. Btw. when I returned I was asked to stay 2 weeks at home in voluntary quarantaine…..
But now the nice things: I booked 7 nights at the St. Regis Mardavall. I stayed here 4 years ago and while I wasn´t blown away I wanted to try the hotel after a renovation and I had to be at a conference near the hotel. Also in March many hotels are still closed, so choices are limited.
You will see, that I only did some sights and I will only roughly describe some spots. The reason is that I did a report in 2016 and I don´t wonna describe things double. Here you find the report:
A few days on Mallorca

Now about the title: Google the text you you will find a great piece of German culture. My aim was or is to show the other Mallorca.

Flight was with Eurowings and a standard Eurowings Economy flight (no Biz on this route). Uneventful but quite expensive (300 € p.P. with Smart tarif).
Old Mar 17, 2020, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Sixt rental car

I rented a car at Six days before the rental prices droped so I was able to rent a BMW 7er or equal for 320 € per week.
At the airport I was offered full insurance. The agent told me he would give me a "special price" of 20 € per day. 140 € were OK for me (my Amex insurance has 150 € excess and Sixt is great in finding Little scratches etc). So I agreed. After I got the contract I learned that it were 20,45 € + VAT, so 25 €. The price I saw at the internet and not a special one. Not very transparent.
As car I got an Audi A8 50 TDI with around 5000 km on the clock. Features were solid. I´m not a fan of the engine but nevertheless a fine car and great value.

Old Mar 18, 2020, 12:04 am

Nice wheels. I hope it is EPA approved though.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 6:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
Nice wheels. I hope it is EPA approved though.
Yeah, Audi has always nice wheels, it were 20 inches. No sure how enviroment friendly they are
Old Mar 18, 2020, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by offerendum
Yeah, Audi has always nice wheels, it were 20 inches. No sure how enviroment friendly they are
Hopefully it is now

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/16/audi...g-scandal.html
offerendum likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DanielW
I guess the car has a timeout now
DanielW likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2020, 9:39 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA Gold (*G), DL Silver, Makers Mark Ambassador
Love the Audi's. GF has one and now has me in the market as well. Looking forward to the TR!
Old Mar 19, 2020, 11:59 am

Too big for the narrow Majorca roads.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bretteee
Too big for the narrow Majorca roads.
That's what many say. To be honest it's perhaps not the perfect match but over all I had no problems.
Old Mar 19, 2020, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Love the Audi's. GF has one and now has me in the market as well. Looking forward to the TR!
Had Audi's for 12 years but now changed to BMW.

Not as much time as I hoped for the report at the moment.
Old Mar 21, 2020, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

St. Regis - Check-In

We arrived after a short drive and on the first view everything was as last time.

We were asked to sit down on the terrace and got welcome drinks.

A few moments after we sat down some sparrows joined us and tried to get their share.

A good check-in experience.
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2020, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

St. Regis - Building

The hotel itself was over all as it was in 2016. Only mentionworth difference was, that the room with the pool-table is now a jewelery shop. The pool table stands now in the lobby.

Old Mar 22, 2020, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

St. Regis - Suite

Most interesting part for me were the renovated rooms. We had booked an Ocean One Suite. They have 3 of them, size is 117 sqm. In summer this suites are sold for over 2000 €, in March ist were much more moderate priced with around 635 € (special 25% off price for 5 nights but still expensive for this time of the year).
The entrance is huge with a powder room:

Tor the left was the Living room, on the right the closet.

Bathroom:

Bedroom:

and living room:

There was also a nice balcony:

The view wasn´t that special and we looked at one of the gardens of the suites with own pool. While this suites are sold for over 4000 € per night at summer and the pool looks nice they are everything else than private.

The pool suite was not occupied during our stay with excemption of the house-duck.

The new suites are Pretty nice even as not everything we redone completely.
lamphs likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2020, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

St. Regis - Garden

The garden of the hotel is nice and there were many growing plants. The outdoor pools were still closed.
The former hairdressing salon by Udo Walz is now HEDI. It was slways closed.

Old Mar 23, 2020, 8:38 pm

Nice photos!

Isn't an Audi A8 a little too wide for scenic Mallorca roads? Or is it just your ride to the hotel?

Was champagne part of the welcome amenity, or did you order it extra?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.