Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Best luxury hotel in Singapore (newer thread, started 9/23)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best luxury hotel in Singapore (newer thread, started 9/23)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2024, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC
We have never been to Singapore, but will be there four days in mid-March. We currently hold a reservation for Raffles, but am second-guessing based upon some iffy reviews. Would appreciate some hotel recommendations based upon the following:

Location- Don't want to be in the middle of a human zoo. That is, we want tranquility. Not interested in shopping or bar hopping. We do want to get a guide arranged by a concierge who can spend a couple of days with us showing us the sights.

Service- Would be nice to have a concierge that quickly communicated by email and went an extra step.As mentioned above, want to find a good guide.

Cost--If we were paying $1K-1.2K USD a night for a large room or small suite, that would be great.

Many thanks.
If you're seeking tranquility, Capella is your best bet in Singapore since Raffles is smack in the middle of the construction zone at Marina Bay/Raffles Place. However, we stayed at Raffles in July and had an amazing time. The hotel passed the lobby is very quiet and tranquil, particularly if you reserve some of the rooms facing the indoor courtyard.

Either way, service at both places is a hit or miss. We lucked out that the lobby manager at Raffles became a friend of ours, so the service was top notch for us. Food and drinks at the Raffles is meh except for the breakfast buffet. We visited Capella and had one of their last servings of afternoon tea and it was tremendously meh (service, food etc.). Taxis/Uber/Grab take forever to get to Capella since it's so far and it costs quite a bit to to cross into Singapore itself.

If you're looking for tranquil I would suggest flying an hour to Langkawi to The Datai. It was amazing. My 7 year old has declared it her favorite place in the world.
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:34 am

We have never been to Singapore, but will be there four days in mid-March. We currently hold a reservation for Raffles, but am second-guessing based upon some iffy reviews. Would appreciate some hotel recommendations based upon the following:

Location- Don't want to be in the middle of a human zoo. That is, we want tranquility. Not interested in shopping or bar hopping. We do want to get a guide arranged by a concierge who can spend a couple of days with us showing us the sights.

Service- Would be nice to have a concierge that quickly communicated by email and went an extra step.As mentioned above, want to find a good guide.

Cost--If we were paying $1K-1.2K USD a night for a large room or small suite, that would be great.

Many thanks.
Singapore is a very densely populated city. There is no "tranquility" around any five-star hotels. Look elsewhere if you don't want to be in a human zoo

Area around Raffles is very busy so you might want to cancel that. Capella in Sentosa might be the quietest but I don't think it's worth a trip to Singapore alone and Sentosa can also be touristy.

You do not need a guide in Singapore. English is widely spoken and transportation readily available. The sights are also not 'tranquil' btw.
deer and 747FC like this.
Old Jan 4, 2024, 12:43 am

Many thanks.
Very old, not luxury and way below your budget is the Shangri-la Valley Wing.

Immediate area is very calm but is in the Orchard rd vicinity.
747FC likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 8:37 am

Haha agreed with everyone else that there's no "tranquility" to be had in Singapore, with Capella being the best option. chinmoylad it's rather concerning that you found the F&B at Capella stale, since Fiamma was probably one of the better restaurants in Sentosa. FOC Sentosa is a pale imitation of its Hong Kong St outlet, Sol & Ora is mostly tasty but has some big misses (their "baked camembert" was cold), Bedrock Origin grills their thick cuts fine but the thin lunch ribeye was grilled to an insipid grey, etc... In general, you won't get better food without heading to the mainland or just living with simpler fare.

On a different note, I recently completed a stay at the MO and found it superior to the neighboring RC in many ways. The club experience specifically felt a lot more luxurious.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 12:08 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by jiajin
Haha agreed with everyone else that there's no "tranquility" to be had in Singapore, with Capella being the best option. chinmoylad it's rather concerning that you found the F&B at Capella stale, since Fiamma was probably one of the better restaurants in Sentosa. FOC Sentosa is a pale imitation of its Hong Kong St outlet, Sol & Ora is mostly tasty but has some big misses (their "baked camembert" was cold), Bedrock Origin grills their thick cuts fine but the thin lunch ribeye was grilled to an insipid grey, etc... In general, you won't get better food without heading to the mainland or just living with simpler fare.

On a different note, I recently completed a stay at the MO and found it superior to the neighboring RC in many ways. The club experience specifically felt a lot more luxurious.
Re F&B: It probably didn't help that we had about 6 or so meals in a row there.
If you're in Singapore to head into downtown, you'll be fine of course. Sounds like there's not much F&B-wise on Sentosa, but maybe that's a slightly missed opportunity for Capella in that case for its in-house guests to offer a bit more. You do have The Living Room of course.
Old Jan 5, 2024, 11:09 pm

Planning a 3-night stay in July for my dad, deciding between the Conrad Centennial (Diamond), Ritz Carlton, and JW Marriott. He's adamant on staying in the Marina Bay area.
Conrad and JW I would have elite benefits and free breakfast. Ritz Carlton I have a special rate for a club room. Of the three, Ritz Carlton would be the most expensive by about $300 total.
Any opinions or pros/cons of each one? Thanks!
Old Jan 6, 2024, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Michaeljinnyc
Try the renovated MO?
I looked at availability and 3 nights during mid week are unavailable and this is booking higher end suites.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by silverm0623
Planning a 3-night stay in July for my dad, deciding between the Conrad Centennial (Diamond), Ritz Carlton, and JW Marriott. He's adamant on staying in the Marina Bay area.
Conrad and JW I would have elite benefits and free breakfast. Ritz Carlton I have a special rate for a club room. Of the three, Ritz Carlton would be the most expensive by about $300 total.
Out of those three, the Ritz is probably the best. None are really special though.

In the Marina Bay Area the Fullerton Bay is the best, however at a higher cost
silverm0623 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2024, 6:50 pm

Out of those three, the Ritz is probably the best. None are really special though.

In the Marina Bay Area the Fullerton Bay is the best, however at a higher cost
Yes, it seems the only thing going for the Ritz is the lobby design, Club lounge, maybe nicer breakfast at the restaurant (although for a surcharge if in a Club room), and potential to pay for a nice bay view room.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:08 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Get the Ritz-Carlton. Upgrade at booking (if available) via many of the agents here. It's a bit old, but the Club spread is very nice, and the views are incredible. Stayed there many times now.
Conrad I really didn't like (as per earlier post). Haven't stayed at or visited the JW (yet).
Old Jan 8, 2024, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Get the Ritz-Carlton. Upgrade at booking (if available) via many of the agents here. It's a bit old, but the Club spread is very nice, and the views are incredible. Stayed there many times now.
Conrad I really didn't like (as per earlier post). Haven't stayed at or visited the JW (yet).
Seems like RC is the way to go, he doesn't wish to stay too far west near Orchard. I booked via a Government Rate so it has a very good discounted rate for a club room, don't believe an agent can upgrade it
chinmoylad likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 1:27 am

Programs: some
In reply to an earlier question: I stayed at Naumi/Naomi just before Covid and liked it at the time.
Old Jan 8, 2024, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
My family and I had a truly wonderful stay at the JW. Their lounge is fantastic, the location superb, the customer service top-notch, and the hard product impressive.
silverm0623 likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:22 pm

Hearing reports the Ritz-Carlton Club Lounge on level 32 is currently closed and offerings temporarily moved to a third floor space. Has anyone experienced this, and if so, any knowledge of when normal Club location may re-open?
Old Jan 14, 2024, 10:51 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Singapore is a very densely populated city. There is no "tranquility" around any five-star hotels. Look elsewhere if you don't want to be in a human zoo

Area around Raffles is very busy so you might want to cancel that. Capella in Sentosa might be the quietest but I don't think it's worth a trip to Singapore alone and Sentosa can also be touristy.

You do not need a guide in Singapore. English is widely spoken and transportation readily available. The sights are also not 'tranquil' btw.
Agree. Tranquility is not to be found in Singapore being a bustling city. For tranquility, perhaps a remote mountain or lake side resort in some other countries. Bali in Indonesia and parts of Malaysia ( both short flights away ) offers excellent choices.

Also, many areas of Raffles hotel are open air, and Singapore is hot, hot, HOT! Unless you love the sun and don't mind the heat.

As for the sights, most are artificial man-made. It's a small Island / city state and given it's short history, not much historic sites as well. I am not sure it's even worth seeing. Singapore is also getting very expensive and quite poor value for money for tourists. Frankly neighbouring Malaysia is a better choice

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.