Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Bangkok (new thread, started 9/23)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Which hotel in Bangkok (new thread, started 9/23)?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2023, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Satie
I need advice from MO experts

Is a deluxe balcony room a better choice than an entry level deluxe premier? In terms of views for example.

Also is the hotel usually generous with upgrades with FanClub rates? Is an upgrade from a deluxe balcony room to a mandarin room likely to happen?
I would say this hotel generally sticks to 1 category upgrades and you should book what you can live with.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 8:07 am

Mandarin rooms are located at the back of the River wing, so river views are not that great.
Satie and Jaytraveller like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:11 am

Last-minute stay at The Siam - unparalleled excellence continues

A little tale from Bangkok... we stayed one night at the Waldorf Astoria in mid-December as we had a meeting in the Rajadamri area, so this was very convenient. The stay was uneventful, but the location certainly worked for us on this occasion. We left part of our luggage there and looked forward to returning a week later... only to find out upon arrival on a busy Friday night that the Waldorf had forgotten to dispatch a driver to collect us from the airport. Despite prior confirmation. I called them and you might have guessed it... no explanation was forthcoming, not even an apology. Sheer arrogance. They suggested taking a taxi, but alas... there was a 55-minute line to get a taxi, and no Grabs were available either. I quickly decided it was not worth going back to the Waldorf and so contacted Khun Nick at The Siam and asked him if they'd take us, basically as "walk ins"... meanwhile, I told the Waldorf they could stay in their suite themselves.

Needless to say... Khun Nick (who wasn't even at the hotel at that time) not only accepted but bent over backwards to make it happen. Within an hour, and being almost fully committed (this was peak festive season!), they arranged everything down to the last detail. And it was so effortless... when, only a little later, we pulled into the driveway of The Siam, Khun Nawee (HM) was already waiting for us with our butlers and several other members of management. They told us that our luggage would be collected from WA and should be delivered shortly... In our villa (upgraded for our one-night stay, despite the highest occupancy), all the preferences were put into place... they even arranged for our favorite orchids (several arrangements, masterfully done) and some extraordinary amenities, as well as small details -- such as a framed picture of us Khun Gub had created for my birthday a while ago. A table at Chon for dinner? On standby. So, so smooth and effortless. Everyone was as warm as ever, turning this unfortunate event into sheer delight. We cancelled our meeting the next day and decided to have breakfast and relax riverside at The Siam. Sadly, we did not have time for Opium Spa as we were leaving right after lunch, but ever-present Spa Director Khun Oh was so considerate to plan for this eventuality as well. Nothing is left to chance at The Siam.

Meanwhile, updates to all the villas are complete, and they are all looking gorgeous. Six suites in the main building have been completed as well, with a further six coming in 2024. They have also completely renovated the gorgeous café/bar inside The Story House (which used to be Café Cha) and adjoining room... styled by The Siam's co-founder/owner Krissada Sukosol Clapp.

Turns out, it was a grave mistake not to book The Siam in the first place for a one-night stay, although I am usually hesitant given time constraints. It would have been nice having an option in central Bangkok, especially when one has meetings or commitments in central Bangkok. I also figured the Park Hyatt is a much superior option compared to the Waldorf, not only in terms of breakfast but also considering the bozo GM at WA.

Very thankful to The Siam family, so fond of all of them. They are the heart and soul of this hotel... already looking forward to our return stay(s) in 2024.

A blue vanda coerulea sitting gracefully in the updated courtyard of villa #107

Only part of the welcome amenities, all bespoke -- and remember this is a one night stay

Last edited by scented; Dec 30, 2023 at 9:28 am
Old Dec 30, 2023, 10:46 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I love these stories - it's great to see the Siam continuing to offer the kind of hospitality which seems to have largely been forgotten.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I love these stories - it's great to see the Siam continuing to offer the kind of hospitality which seems to have largely been forgotten.
Thanks for your comment -- completely agree and they are continually seeing how and where they can improve. Yet they have remained humble and aim to delight...
Old Dec 30, 2023, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by scented
Thanks for your comment -- completely agree and they are continually seeing how and where they can improve. Yet they have remained humble and aim to delight...
All's well that ends well. The Siam is taking the 2023 Bangkok hospitality crown. Happy New Year scented !

ps. PH GM can also be a bozo.

Last edited by Aventine; Dec 30, 2023 at 3:11 pm
Old Dec 30, 2023, 9:20 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
All's well that ends well. The Siam is taking the 2023 Bangkok hospitality crown. Happy New Year scented !

ps. PH GM can also be a bozo.
Thank you & wishing you the same! Oh my word re PH GM, but frankly given the reputation of Simeon O, can only be better…

PH BKK seems to be improving. I never had any issues there and my feedback was taken and improved upon. They always give us in-room check-in and the operation seems smooth. Pity about the hard product at PH and the lack of air conditioning in the lower lobby, which is puzzling. Other than that, it is fine. I love the breakfast and the team at the lounge. Hard to fault.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
That’s interesting - I’m a frequently returning Globalist guest usually in an Exec Suite (or at least a deluxe one) who a number of the staff recognise, but I’ve never had in-room check-in at the PH BKK.
scented and Dave510 like this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
That’s interesting - I’m a frequently returning Globalist guest usually in an Exec Suite (or at least a deluxe one) who a number of the staff recognise, but I’ve never had in-room check-in at the PH BKK.
Hm... I used to have Courtesy Card, but no longer -- in fact, I am not even Globalist at this point. Not with current state of PH in many parts of the world. They did upgrade me however but to be honest, I think the fact they offered in-room check-in is due to us always booking their limousine service back and forth. Great cars and actually owned by the hotel / not outsourced.

I too love their Executive Suites and it is lovely seeing Khun Cha and Khun Ruby and their team at breakfast.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 9:00 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum

Thank you & wishing you the same! Oh my word re PH GM, but frankly given the reputation of Simeon O, can only be better…

PH BKK seems to be improving. I never had any issues there and my feedback was taken and improved upon. They always give us in-room check-in and the operation seems smooth. Pity about the hard product at PH and the lack of air conditioning in the lower lobby, which is puzzling. Other than that, it is fine. I love the breakfast and the team at the lounge. Hard to fault.
Can you detail issues with PH? I am scheduled to spend 4 nights there in February.
Old Dec 31, 2023, 1:07 pm

Hm... I used to have Courtesy Card, but no longer -- in fact, I am not even Globalist at this point. Not with current state of PH in many parts of the world. They did upgrade me however but to be honest, I think the fact they offered in-room check-in is due to us always booking their limousine service back and forth. Great cars and actually owned by the hotel / not outsourced.
I was indeed wondering whether it might be the car which does it. I have another service provide me with free pickup at the airport, so I never use commercial services nowadays.
Old Jan 14, 2024, 11:04 am

Programs: Not stuck with an Alliance anymore, Star gold, OW Saph
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
How do people feel about the Peninsula? It looks interesting to me but location seems pretty bad.
Going at the Pen since 2003 2 or 3 times a year, for us great location and even better since the last few years as you have the Icon Siam mall just at the corner with its BTS Station.
Some ''geeks'' may find the room outdated but in fact Peninsula each year modernize the rooms and even if the design is the same since the opening they have been refurbished several time.
Last year following the reopening the restaurants were not at the level they have too but now solve....
And the swimming pool is for me one of the best of BKK.
Old Jan 27, 2024, 6:16 am

We are planning a short vacation to Bangkok in April. The Siam seems to be the clear forum favorite, but would it be recommended for a family with a toddler? The other option we are considering is the FS, which wasn't getting much favorable reviews from the experts. Has it improved?
Old Jan 29, 2024, 1:37 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Dia, AClub Plat, Hyatt Dia, FB Gold, LH SEN, TK *G
Stayed last year at the Grande Sheraton BKK in one of their special suites (Rajah Suite) with a large terrace for a week after staying at the Anantara (former Four Seasons, I believe) Siam in their Royal Suite.

For the price we paid (roughly 400 EUR a night), we really had a blast.
The Anantara's suite was extraordinary, very large at around 1300 SQ ft, with the bedroom sufficiently far from the living room area to have some peace if one of us wanted to sleep. Service was good but not amazing. Breakfast was really good but depending on the days as the choice tends to vary. I like the location although the Grande Sheraton is very convenient with direct BTS access.

The Grande Sheraton BKK definitely has my favorite pool in Bangkok which looks like lush tropical gardens. It's on the small side though and tends to get crowded in the afternoon. We loved our suite very much and the luxury of a large outdoor terrace in Bangkok although they had just made it 200 sq ft smaller by closing off a portion. as I had obtained a floor map in advance of my stay, I complained to the GM who came to check. He was very surprised to see me with a detailed floor map but understood and offered a 25% discount on the whole week of stay, which was a nice gesture. Great service there and I like their jazz evening offer. The breakfast is also pretty good and as said previously, the location cannot be beaten if one is into shopping in Bangkok.

P.S. a small tip for lovers of bespoke leather goods (bags, wallets, etc.). Liu's bootery in the area is absolutely great BUT:
1. only talk to Khun Liu
2. Don't look at what he has on display, it's awful
3. Come with pictures of what you want and you won't be disappointed
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 12:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
Any recommendations of which hotel to choose via virtuoso that has a stronger chance of early check in? There are a few that offer it but I want to go for one that is know to do it. Not interested in late check out but our flight gets in around 6am so hoping to get into the room sooner than regular check in. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.