Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Bangkok (new thread, started 9/23)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Which hotel in Bangkok (new thread, started 9/23)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2023, 8:48 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by bigdog2
At Capella BKK, the 1 bdrm Villa is not much more expensive (like ~$300) than the Veranda suite (both have private outdoor hot tub plunge pool). Anyone care to share some insights? Seems like the Villa is either good value, or the Veranda is a bit over priced.
Both are great but I agree, Capella villa has the edge as the interiors are spacious (a bit more sq ft attributed interior), and I love the privacy the separate building of the villa affords. The verandah is visible to those above you, less comfortable, not my thing.
You do have a nice view of the river from the suites.
bigdog2 likes this.

Last edited by luxefarer; Oct 3, 2023 at 9:08 pm
Old Oct 5, 2023, 8:22 am

The Siam 2023 & beyond -- riverside bliss

Just came back from The Siam... another brilliant stay in one of their villas. This time, we were in #108. All of the villas are driven through a rigorous renovation right now with many completed and more to be finished soon, in time for high season. All villas feature updated fabrics, new A/C units and chillers with individually controlled zones for bathroom and bedroom, updated electronics which are very user friendly and easy to handle and also more details like Dyson hair dryers etc. Also the pools have new tiles. The design is the same -- what we are used to and love -- Bensley, although, thankfully, in moderation

What hasn't changed is the brilliant love and care of the team, which is so evident and if anything, better than ever. Yes, The Siam is very well staffed now, yet they are still hiring for various positions and you can feel it in the service delivery... really impressive. The warmth was and is always there but there is a new efficiency in the background, which is just sooo smooth now. Then again I have to say that it is very obvious that there is great harmony in and around the team, which translates into care for the guests. Given some other BKK hotels have quite toxic work environments, The Siam is in another universe entirely. It shows, you can feel it and it is a pleasure to witness.

The team gave us brilliant welcome amenities, in fact these were better than ever -- some of them on the new & custom made étagères they use for Afternoon Tea as well. On our second day, Khun Gub & Khun Sumet surprised us with not one but several custom flower arrangements... where else in BKK does this happen? Very few places... at FS you are lucky if you can score more than 3 pieces of fruit!

Over the next few months, there will be more and more updates and upgrades to this riverside gem, cannot share just yet but great things are coming and lots of points here will be addressed. However, this also means that availability can be an issue here, so we are already in the midst of planning our 2024 stays to ensure we can get in!

All over Bangkok, service has improved somewhat after the 2022 painful lows of many hotels and staffing levels elsewhere in the city are also returning to normal. It is not easy still but getting better. Very evident that Thailand is looking elsewhere to hire staff in service. Many hotels cutting corners and just seeing how they can fill positions... very few hotels, such as The Siam, are taking things more seriously to see how they can actually RETAIN their staff, keep them happy and offer them a perspective and work environment. This is rare and a testament to the leadership of Nick Downing.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 12:28 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by bigdog2
At Capella BKK, the 1 bdrm Villa is not much more expensive (like ~$300) than the Veranda suite (both have private outdoor hot tub plunge pool). Anyone care to share some insights? Seems like the Villa is either good value, or the Veranda is a bit over priced.
Originally Posted by scented
Just came back from The Siam... another brilliant stay in one of their villas. This time, we were in #108. All of the villas are driven through a rigorous renovation right now with many completed and more to be finished soon, in time for high season. All villas feature updated fabrics, new A/C units and chillers with individually controlled zones for bathroom and bedroom, updated electronics which are very user friendly and easy to handle and also more details like Dyson hair dryers etc. Also the pools have new tiles. The design is the same -- what we are used to and love -- Bensley, although, thankfully, in moderation

What hasn't changed is the brilliant love and care of the team, which is so evident and if anything, better than ever. Yes, The Siam is very well staffed now, yet they are still hiring for various positions and you can feel it in the service delivery... really impressive. The warmth was and is always there but there is a new efficiency in the background, which is just sooo smooth now. Then again I have to say that it is very obvious that there is great harmony in and around the team, which translates into care for the guests. Given some other BKK hotels have quite toxic work environments, The Siam is in another universe entirely. It shows, you can feel it and it is a pleasure to witness.

The team gave us brilliant welcome amenities, in fact these were better than ever -- some of them on the new & custom made étagères they use for Afternoon Tea as well. On our second day, Khun Gub & Khun Sumet surprised us with not one but several custom flower arrangements... where else in BKK does this happen? Very few places... at FS you are lucky if you can score more than 3 pieces of fruit!

Over the next few months, there will be more and more updates and upgrades to this riverside gem, cannot share just yet but great things are coming and lots of points here will be addressed. However, this also means that availability can be an issue here, so we are already in the midst of planning our 2024 stays to ensure we can get in!

All over Bangkok, service has improved somewhat after the 2022 painful lows of many hotels and staffing levels elsewhere in the city are also returning to normal. It is not easy still but getting better. Very evident that Thailand is looking elsewhere to hire staff in service. Many hotels cutting corners and just seeing how they can fill positions... very few hotels, such as The Siam, are taking things more seriously to see how they can actually RETAIN their staff, keep them happy and offer them a perspective and work environment. This is rare and a testament to the leadership of Nick Downing.
Thank you for this detailed recap The Siam, sounds like a dream stay. Bravo to Nick Downing and his exceptional team continue to exceed expectations - not only via guest experience but also professionally as I've experienced. He is one of a kind.
Now to plan my return.....
FlyerEC, scented and bigdog2 like this.
Old Oct 5, 2023, 7:01 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LTG, IHG Platinum
Throwing it out there - do you guys mainly converse with your concierges, butlers in English? And do you tip them?
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:24 am

Originally Posted by alanslegal
Throwing it out there - do you guys mainly converse with your concierges, butlers in English? And do you tip them?
Of course in English as I don’t speak Thai! We do tip. Not in Amans as per no tip policy, but in all other hotels in BKK.
FlyerEC and luxefarer like this.
Old Oct 6, 2023, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by scented
Of course in English as I don’t speak Thai! We do tip. Not in Amans as per no tip policy, but in all other hotels in BKK.
I do tip in countries where there is a tipping culture. Although I tend to be generous, I think the best policy is just being fair and supporting those who make you feel supported during your stay.
Dave510 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2023, 7:29 pm

Has anyone recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel at Chao Phraya River, Bangkok? How is it? How far is it from main attractions of the city? The United Chase Explorer Card is offering some enticing deal for this hotel and I am considering taking it. However, I want some feedback from friends here about this deal if anyone knows, and also about the hotel. Thank you for suggestions and guidance.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 11:57 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There are lots of reviews on this thread and on its own dedicated one.

Quite impressive hotel, somewhat old-fashioned service, not that conveniently located for most things not by the river.
scented likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
There are lots of reviews on this thread and on its own dedicated one.

Quite impressive hotel, somewhat old-fashioned service, not that conveniently located for most things not by the river.
Thank you EuropeanPete for this helpful guidance! Since we are staying for 8 nights in Bangkok and primary objective is to visit desirable tourist attractions as well as explore local culture and cuisine, staying in reasonable proximity of these activities are important. Therefore, we will skip looking at this hotel and try to locate a reasonably good five-star hotel elsewhere. We stay often at JW Marriotts so as a default I may have to stay there. I hope folks here will be able to suggest a better option. Thank you for all help!
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Jaytraveller
Thank you EuropeanPete for this helpful guidance! Since we are staying for 8 nights in Bangkok and primary objective is to visit desirable tourist attractions as well as explore local culture and cuisine, staying in reasonable proximity of these activities are important. Therefore, we will skip looking at this hotel and try to locate a reasonably good five-star hotel elsewhere. We stay often at JW Marriotts so as a default I may have to stay there. I hope folks here will be able to suggest a better option. Thank you for all help!
What's the deal you saw on offer?
Old Nov 30, 2023, 2:44 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
I would probably do a 3/5 split for an 8 night stay: 3 nights by the river for all the attractions near there (grand palace complex, wat arun, Chinatown, Asiatique, iconsiam etc. Can also visit the Capella/4S f&b outlets), and 5 nights in a more central area like PH or WA.
EuropeanPete and Jaytraveller like this.
Old Nov 30, 2023, 3:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Many of the most famous tourist attractions actually are close to the river around Chinatown, and so if you're keen to see temples, Palaces and Street food, then you can actually do quite well by going up and down the river. The main issue that I have with the MO's location is that the road it's off (Thanon Charoen Krung) is terrible at rush-hour in particular and not convenient for the metro - though actually not as bad as Sukhumvit (where many hotels are) which is even worse. The Four Seasons and Capella meanwhile are further down Thanon Charoen Krung road and so in a worse location than the MO.

My favourite location for hotels is around the big shopping malls by Chitlom and Ploen Chit. You have the likes of the Okura, the Park Hyatt, the Waldorf Astoria, the Athenee and various others (none of these is a top luxury BKK hotel though - unlike the MO, the 4S, the Siam, Capella). Each mall has a whole universe of food options (from Michelin stars to totally authentic food courts but inside aircon), the MRT is convenient for going either east or west and the road isn't as bad as some of the others in terms of using a taxi to get places if you're going somewhere not served by the MRT.

As recommended by Dave, I hotel hop quite frequently in Bangkok to make the most of different locations and also because so many hotels in Bangkok are so delightful. The Siam is one of the world's best city hotels, and you don't get anything like the modern luxury of the Park Hyatt or the Waldorf Astoria at even twice the price anywhere else.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Nov 30, 2023 at 3:16 pm
Old Nov 30, 2023, 8:18 pm
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Many of the most famous tourist attractions actually are close to the river around Chinatown, and so if you're keen to see temples, Palaces and Street food, then you can actually do quite well by going up and down the river. The main issue that I have with the MO's location is that the road it's off (Thanon Charoen Krung) is terrible at rush-hour in particular and not convenient for the metro - though actually not as bad as Sukhumvit (where many hotels are) which is even worse. The Four Seasons and Capella meanwhile are further down Thanon Charoen Krung road and so in a worse location than the MO.

My favourite location for hotels is around the big shopping malls by Chitlom and Ploen Chit. You have the likes of the Okura, the Park Hyatt, the Waldorf Astoria, the Athenee and various others (none of these is a top luxury BKK hotel though - unlike the MO, the 4S, the Siam, Capella). Each mall has a whole universe of food options (from Michelin stars to totally authentic food courts but inside aircon), the MRT is convenient for going either east or west and the road isn't as bad as some of the others in terms of using a taxi to get places if you're going somewhere not served by the MRT.

As recommended by Dave, I hotel hop quite frequently in Bangkok to make the most of different locations and also because so many hotels in Bangkok are so delightful. The Siam is one of the world's best city hotels, and you don't get anything like the modern luxury of the Park Hyatt or the Waldorf Astoria at even twice the price anywhere else.
Has anyone recently stayed at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel at Chao Phraya River, Bangkok? How is it? How far is it from main attractions of the city? The United Chase Explorer Card is offering some enticing deal for this hotel and I am considering taking it. However, I want some feedback from friends here about this deal if anyone knows, and also about the hotel. Thank you for suggestions and guidance.
Planning on being at both MOBKK and The Siam in January ( Post SIN DO ) and February .. can hardly wait .. would have gone this week for an AMANJunkie event
But am unable to fly as yet due to the MOHK mishap in November , more than 3 weeks ago now , rather infuriating not being able to travel and having to cancel trips .. hopefully soon , well by mid December
Old Dec 1, 2023, 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
What's the deal you saw on offer?
The deal offered to us at the Mandarin Oriental hotel, BKK is:
  • Buffet Breakfast for two daily at The Verandah Terrace
  • USD $100 Food & Beverage or Spa Treatment credit, per room, per stay
  • Complimentary High Speed Internet Access
The following amenities are subject to availability at time of check-in/departure:
  • Upgrade at check-in, if available (excluding suites)
  • Early Check-In
  • Late Check-Out

Originally Posted by Dave510
I would probably do a 3/5 split for an 8 night stay: 3 nights by the river for all the attractions near there (grand palace complex, wat arun, Chinatown, Asiatique, iconsiam etc. Can also visit the Capella/4S f&b outlets), and 5 nights in a more central area like PH or WA.
Thank you Dave, for excellent and functionally prudent suggestion! We are certainly inclined to do 3/5 split as you advised that will cover all over objectives!

Thank you EuropeanPete for this very helpful and detailed explanation highlighting numerous pro and cons of excellent hotels available around some of the most desirable areas in BKK. I am going to check out some of the hotels you mentioned around the big shopping malls by Chitlom and Ploen Chit. I deeply appreciate the time you took to guide me.
EuropeanPete and Dave510 like this.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Dec 1, 2023 at 6:41 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member -- please just add to previous post instead
Old Dec 4, 2023, 11:53 am

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
I need advice from MO experts

Is a deluxe balcony room a better choice than an entry level deluxe premier? In terms of views for example.

Also is the hotel usually generous with upgrades with FanClub rates? Is an upgrade from a deluxe balcony room to a mandarin room likely to happen?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.