Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Which hotel in Bangkok (new thread, started 9/23)?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 22, 2023, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Print Wikipost

Which hotel in Bangkok (new thread, started 9/23)?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2023, 12:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
My thoughts are pretty similar to comments above. PH has better breakfast than Rosewood/Kempinski. Design wise both Siam/Sindohorn Kempinski are the least attractive.

Outside of those choices, I think FS Chao Praya is the best overall BKK hotel now. The Siam is quite special as well. I don’t get the appeal of MO BKK, I find it too stuffy. I am not crazy about Capella either.
I've heard mixed reviews regarding FS Chao Phraya. Being a Jean-Michel Gathy, the hard product looks lovely, and modern (albeit a few corners cut after covid)... the issue with FS Chao Phraya is really the soft product, inconsistent service and not-so-hospitable approach to guest communication/care that makes this property fall short compared to Capella. For me, Thailand is all about hospitality, so it's hard for me to overlook this facet when it comes to a hotel in Bangkok.

Another note I've heard from friends and clients alike is it seems the residents, their guests, tourist & local visitors, creates an unwelcome collision with guests in common spaces and other facilities (especially during festive/ high season).
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 6:45 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Peninsula

How do people feel about the Peninsula? It looks interesting to me but location seems pretty bad.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 7:01 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
How do people feel about the Peninsula? It looks interesting to me but location seems pretty bad.
Hardware is 20+ years out of date, location isn't great. Service though is fantastic. It's unfortunately not able to be considered amongst Bangkok's other luxury hotels until the owners get around to doing a refresh.
offerendum and luxefarer like this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by luxefarer
I've heard mixed reviews regarding FS Chao Phraya. Being a Jean-Michel Gathy, the hard product looks lovely, and modern (albeit a few corners cut after covid)... the issue with FS Chao Phraya is really the soft product, inconsistent service and not-so-hospitable approach to guest communication/care that makes this property fall short compared to Capella. For me, Thailand is all about hospitality, so it's hard for me to overlook this facet when it comes to a hotel in Bangkok.

Another note I've heard from friends and clients alike is it seems the residents, their guests, tourist & local visitors, creates an unwelcome collision with guests in common spaces and other facilities (especially during festive/ high season).
I like the pool and all the common area seating spaces but the service is rather cold and dreary for an FS in Thailand.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2023, 5:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
WA

Reviews of the Waldorf seem pretty good too. Though the pool looks ... Odd. Has anyone stayed recently?
Old Oct 2, 2023, 5:36 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
Reviews of the Waldorf seem pretty good too. Though the pool looks ... Odd. Has anyone stayed recently?
Stingy with upgrades, but if you're Hilton Gold it's actually the "perfect" level to stay at, since you get the excellent free breakfast, and you don't lose out compared to a Diamond.

Pool is fine, you still have infinity pool with nice views, and the canopy blocks rain, if you still wanna stay pool side.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:16 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I’ve stayed at the WA many times and was most recently there a few weeks ago:
- On the surface, the hardware is absolutely stunning. I love it, especially the “Deluxe Suite”, while not a suite, it’s beautiful
- If you look more closely, it’s already aging badly because of the poor construction quality. For example, on 10th floor part of the hallway floor isn’t straight, in my shower part of the tiling was no longer aligned and the pool has bits of rust where they didn’t use the right parts
- The pool on the roof is much nicer than it might seem. The beds on the far end are comfortable and there’s good service. The construction next door can be annoying, but wasn’t too bad when I was there
- Best breakfast anywhere, and I’m also a big fan of the Loft - a stunningly beautiful bar with a surprisingly good team
- A number of people on here have reported bad efforts at service recovery and some bad juju from the GM. I’m lucky not to have had any issues, but can well imagine this to be an issue - they do seem a bit inflexible at times for a luxury hotel
- Pricing a few weeks ago was a whole level below luxury alternatives, which is always a plus for me
offerendum likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
- On the surface, the hardware is absolutely stunning. I love it, especially the “Deluxe Suite”, while not a suite, it’s beautiful
- If you look more closely, it’s already aging badly because of the poor construction quality. For example, on 10th floor part of the hallway floor isn’t straight, in my shower part of the tiling was no longer aligned and the pool has bits of rust where they didn’t use the right parts
- The pool on the roof is much nicer than it might seem. The beds on the far end are comfortable and there’s good service. The construction next door can be annoying, but wasn’t too bad when I was there
- Best breakfast anywhere, and I’m also a big fan of the Loft - a stunningly beautiful bar with a surprisingly good team
- A number of people on here have reported bad efforts at service recovery and some bad juju from the GM. I’m lucky not to have had any issues, but can well imagine this to be an issue - they do seem a bit inflexible at times for a luxury hotel
- Pricing a few weeks ago was a whole level below luxury alternatives, which is always a plus for me
I've had a stained teal Deluxe King carpet and the vanity stool saw better days. Also, observed the shower tile misalignment and blinds weren't even.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:31 pm
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Quick Sukhothai update (will do a full review later). But some pics/videos are up on my IG (@chinmoylad) in the stories section as well as scrolling down to pics on the main page.
  • Really enjoyed this property overall - Kerry Hill + Ed Tuttle touches, and that pool area, along with the overall property (landscape/gardens etc) is incredible.
  • There is a fair amount of construction happening as they are upgrading many areas, but it doesn't affect your stay too much except for the spa. They will be converting the 'houses' into spa houses later, should be incredible. Currently the presidential Sukhothai Suite serves as an intimate spa space, quite nicely done up for a temporary spa.
  • Food was generally pretty fair, but was really good at their Thai restaurant Celadon.
  • Same for service - the property as a whole offers a more intimate feel. It was generally quite good, thoughtful, considerate etc without being truly exceptional ala The Siam.
  • Quite like the bar concepts they have going on too.
The biggest downside is some of the spaces look really strange - can't quite make out of it it's a renovation issue so temporary, or Hill/Tuttle just didn't know how to design a hotel like this (vs a resort?) - particularly, the very bizarre-looking club lounge and the weird lounging area throughout the buildings.
Maybe those who have stayed a few times before over the years can shed some light.

I was in one of the newer Club Suites - which for the hard product and space alone are worth the splurge especially if you will have visitors over to the property, but if you don't mind much smaller spaces, the Club Lounge alone isn't (currently) worth it. The Club Suite clocks in at 90 sqm but due to the design/spacing feels considerably larger than even ~110-120 sqm suites I've stayed in, pretty interesting.

Quite a few changes coming here of course with the renos, so watch out for this space I guess!

Overall, would happily go back here - it feels like a resort within Bangkok (ala The Siam but far more centrally located than The Siam) - and we have Hill/Tuttle and that incredible pool area to thank for that.

Visited Rosewood - quite liked the hard product and the location is ideal for those wanting to be really in the city.
Question is more about the soft product but it is headed up by Sandra Watermann (ex Aman) - some cool F&B concepts on property too. The main pool looks nice but is shaded all day so must be a bit odd.
The Pool Suites are quite stunning - when converted to USD not so bad, but if you won't be enjoying the room itself much then regular suites will probably do just fine.

The MO refurb is absolutely stunning, but of course it's a very different type of hotel from the others.
luxefarer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 1:44 pm

Seems like I can't go wrong with a night at WA.

I ended up booking PH on FHR but then added a day to my stay. And WA pricing $35 below PH for the extra night so figure I could try it for a night and with FHR or Impresario benefits would do well.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:06 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Hardware is 20+ years out of date, location isn't great. Service though is fantastic. It's unfortunately not able to be considered amongst Bangkok's other luxury hotels until the owners get around to doing a refresh.
Agree completely. This would exciting and much welcomed. Love Pen Bangkok.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by luxefarer
Agree completely. This would exciting and much welcomed. Love Pen Bangkok.
I'm surprised HSH hasn't been more proactive about this since buying out the Phataraprasits. I have a weird soft spot for the Pen BKK, also. My go-to Bangkok hotel when I know I'll be sending a ton of facsimiles.
luxefarer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by MattEvan
My go-to Bangkok hotel when I know I'll be sending a ton of facsimiles.
Kaching! But let's look fondly at a day (not that long ago, really) when a fax machine in your room was considered the best thing since the invention of sliced bread.
MattEvan and luxefarer like this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:39 pm

At Capella BKK, the 1 bdrm Villa is not much more expensive (like ~$300) than the Veranda suite (both have private outdoor hot tub plunge pool). Anyone care to share some insights? Seems like the Villa is either good value, or the Veranda is a bit over priced.
luxefarer likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2023, 7:47 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by bigdog2
At Capella BKK, the 1 bdrm Villa is not much more expensive (like ~$300) than the Veranda suite (both have private outdoor hot tub plunge pool). Anyone care to share some insights? Seems like the Villa is either good value, or the Veranda is a bit over priced.
I prefer the Villa for vastly better privacy, both in entering your villa (since it's separate from the main building and can be access outside), and not having guests staying in the rooms directly above have perfect view of your plunge pool and lounge chair.
luxefarer and bigdog2 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.