Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Olinto / Atlas Mtns / Marrakech

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2023, 8:31 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
It’s been a while but I’m remembering Amanjena as flat. If you’re considering that at all I’ll check my scrapbook for you. Truly a lovely property. Outside the city proper so nice and quiet.

Oh… and have we mentioned the orange juice?!? Puts Florida to shame. And the dates!
offerendum and cornwall4000 like this.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: all of 'em.
Originally Posted by Ericka
It’s been a while but I’m remembering Amanjena as flat. If you’re considering that at all I’ll check my scrapbook for you. Truly a lovely property. Outside the city proper so nice and quiet.

Oh… and have we mentioned the orange juice?!? Puts Florida to shame. And the dates!
OMG the dates. I wanted an IV hooked up to supply me a constant infusion of pureed dates.
And the apricots. And lordy, the mint green tea. Pretty much the inverse of what comes out the green tea lipton tea bags.

I agree Amanjena seems ideal for the mobility-restricted. All flat. The pavilions/maisons looked incredible in our tour, hard product supreme, fairytale-gorgeous grounds.... and our dinner in the Moroccan restaurant was superlative.
Chose MO over staying here (or Oberoi or FS) and def regretted the choice.
Old Dec 4, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: HH Diamond; Marriott Gold; AA Platinum
For those of you having been to Marrakech - can you please give me some must go to restaurants and/or shops?

Something funny to share - the husband insisted of flying into Casablanca “because it was Casablanca and one HAS to go there if one goes to Morocco”. (Rolling eyes here!) so we are flying into CMN to stay there for one night. What I haven’t told him is that I had made reservations for us to go to Rick’s Cafe. I am sure it is going to be a supremely tacky experience but we are doing it!
Ericka likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Desirees
For those of you having been to Marrakech - can you please give me some must go to restaurants and/or shops?

Something funny to share - the husband insisted of flying into Casablanca “because it was Casablanca and one HAS to go there if one goes to Morocco”. (Rolling eyes here!) so we are flying into CMN to stay there for one night. What I haven’t told him is that I had made reservations for us to go to Rick’s Cafe. I am sure it is going to be a supremely tacky experience but we are doing it!
As mentioned in my review of Royal Mansour, our dinner at Sesamo there was truly exceptional.
We ate at a number of extremely upscale (and expensive) restaurants during our two weeks, but Sesamo was an easy winner for single meal.
It's Italian, tho, so not 'of the place'. (Royal Mansour is though, i reco at least do a drive-by/walkaround there and/or Mamounia).
One place everyone seems to agree on - at least for a sunset drink - is the rooftop at El Fenn.

Obviously, at least one day in the medina (we did two) while you're at Amanjena is imperative. I'd strongly recommend having a guide, and that you have your hotel set the guide up (Amanjena).

Things to do near Olinto are manifold, but most of them involve trekking. Olinto has plentiful guided hikes, camping in desert, four-wheeler fun, climbing reco's, etc.
But i'd suggest having Olinto find you a guide/driver to take you for a a day of sightseeing and shopping in any number of gorgeous, sleepy valleys around there.
Ourika valley is where our Olinto-arranged guide took us, and it was divine. Delicious lunch (the breads!!), and fantastic shopping with vendors as 'local' and as 'locally sourced' as you can get.
My wife went crazy for a skin-product shop there (Ourika) called Afous Argan. Almost bought out the whole joint....
https://afousargan.ma/
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:04 pm
Original Member

I’m still waffling. Just can’t wrap my head around the flying time.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
I’m still waffling. Just can’t wrap my head around the flying time.
That's what things like Sondheim and Shostakovich and Satie were invented for!
BTW, i always meant to ask Satie if the composer played any role in handle choosing?
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by cornwall4000
That's what things like Sondheim and Shostakovich and Satie were invented for!
BTW, i always meant to ask Satie if the composer played any role in handle choosing?
All good distractions but fail to address the actual physical pain and debility of long-haul flights for older folk nursing assorted morbidities and traveling solo.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
All good distractions but fail to address the actual physical pain and debility of long-haul flights for older folk nursing assorted morbidities and traveling solo.
Fully understood.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Fully understood.
But kudos on the alliteration.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2023, 3:25 pm

Programs: FB Gold, IB Plus Plata
you caught me
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 12:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Obviously, at least one day in the medina (we did two) while you're at Amanjena is imperative. I'd strongly recommend having a guide, and that you have your hotel set the guide up (Amanjena).
Do you remember what they charged?
Desirees likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 7:14 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
Kat, I would say you should find a hotel that gives you a definite sense of place… great local food, private pool, spa/hammam. That way you can spend a lot of your time resting at the hotel and not running yourself ragged with activities. Amanjena fits that bill. Others probably do as well.

And yes, a good guide for the Medina would be a highlight. We used one provided by Amanjena that was great.

Wow! This trip report is old but might give you a good feel for Morocco and Amanjena.
Trip Report: Dar Ahlam & Amanjena (Morocco)
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by offerendum
Do you remember what they charged?
I don't remember the exact cost.
We booked a guide for the old city with the concierge at Royal Mansour.
Like everything else there - really at all the Marrakech hotels discussed in this sub - it was expensive.
Several hundred US $ for a 3-4 hour jaunt, if memory serves.

But SO worth it.
Would have been worth it just for the knowledge gained, even if the medina weren't an impossibly large/sprawling, winding, cramped, frenzied place of hubbub.
The gentleman that RM hooked us up with was kind, patient, flexible, and extremely knowledgable.
More of a docent than a 'guide'.
Just about everyone in the medina (and there are a lot of merchants/residents in there) seemed to know him, say hi to him as we passed.
Did not get involved with shopping itself, but would take us to different 'hubs' - spices, bath products, leather/tanneries, rugs, lamps, etc etc - and then recommend two to three different kinds of shops for each.
Stayed outside while we shopped.
offerendum likes this.

Last edited by cornwall4000; Dec 6, 2023 at 9:19 am
Old Dec 6, 2023, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericka
Kat, I would say you should find a hotel that gives you a definite sense of place… great local food, private pool, spa/hammam. That way you can spend a lot of your time resting at the hotel and not running yourself ragged with activities. Amanjena fits that bill. Others probably do as well.

And yes, a good guide for the Medina would be a highlight. We used one provided by Amanjena that was great.

Wow! This trip report is old but might give you a good feel for Morocco and Amanjena.
Trip Report: Dar Ahlam & Amanjena (Morocco)
Studied that Amanjena review very carefully when planning this last trip, Erika.
It's a great read, and as this property seems so 'timeless' and perfect in its initial iteration, i wonder how much has really changed..
Macmyday had a fantastic Jena review as well. also ADY i think?
offerendum likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2023, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Not sure what the Prix Versailles entails, how prestigious a designation, etc, but looks like Olinto snagged the 2023 hotel category award.

https://www.prix-versailles.com/_fil...02c2677e2d.pdf

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.