Old Feb 12, 2024, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Kagehitokiri
test
Print Wikipost

Amanresorts Thread 2023/2024

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2023, 1:09 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by Vaterland
An extraordinarily beautiful video.

I am devoted to the Lowell and my beloved Carlyle; but, I must admit, this video is a tempting seductress. Aman should be very pleased.

The Aman is, indeed, truly gorgeous. But the lounge area featured at the start of the video looks really cluttered with furniture. Does a space limited to hotel guests really need so much crowded seating?
Lowell & The Carlyle are two icons, in my top 3. However, as skeptical as I was, Aman certainly ranks next to them. Manager, Petar was wonderful, coming in on his day off to say hello and welcome me, and overall making sure our time at Aman New York remained consistent. I appreciated this gesture. After all, these are the reasons we choose Aman. The human-touch.

Being said, I agree with you on the lobby. It’s not my favorite layout concept in the AMAN or Gathy catalog but It’s certainly cozier in person. Personally, the pillows are bit excessive, but they were super comfortable when lounging.

However, the effect of the fireplaces are a wonderful touch in the winter months. It happened to be freezing the weekend we stayed, so we thoroughly enjoyed cozying up with a book, afternoon tea, in a very calm, enjoyable lobby. Firewood crackling creates a very nice ambience. Staff was attentive to the levels I’ve experienced at Lowell. When there were mistakes (far and few) service recovery was quick, apologetic and effective. I will add they’ve buttoned up their service quite a bit since opening and are strengthening the intuitive methods you’d expect from an Asian Aman.

Thinking about returning in the fall.
Fliar likes this.

Last edited by luxefarer; Mar 11, 2023 at 5:16 pm
Old Mar 11, 2023, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
While it all looks good it looks not like New York for me. So yes, there is a big chance I try it when visiting Big Apple next time, but I am not flashed to be honest.
hypnos8 and luxefarer like this.
Old Mar 11, 2023, 8:00 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, AMAN, FS PP, RW Elite, MO Fanclub, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Peninsula PC, Hyatt Privé
Originally Posted by offerendum
While it all looks good it looks not like New York for me. So yes, there is a big chance I try it when visiting Big Apple next time, but I am not flashed to be honest.
I’m looking forward to your take.

To your point, it’s not NY. It’s not art deco nor mid century. It’s an Asia-inspired concept on 57th street. It’s contemporary. Moody. Comfortable. Jasmine and sandalwood fragrance fill the halls. White blossoms in ikebana contrast the rich dark interiors creating a baroque composition. The rooms, are calming and sleek, simple beige palette, Japanese influence meets new-upper east side comfort. Pine accents liven the color palette. Custom Duxiana-for-AMAN mattresses ensure quality sleep. Subtle eclectic and minimal . Spacious. Luxe. Full & free minibar, included sans alcohol are comforting….. I know as it should be at that price point … a very new product for NY, because it isn’t NY.

Being a very bored of New York, NYer, I felt teleported out of Manhattan and into a MO or RW in an Asian city, and I was by surprised by how much I enjoyed that. A ‘staycation’…. and I can imagine repeat business travelers enjoying this city-resort concept as I did.

It’s not as transient like other tried and true hotels, I.e. the Mark and so on. The nightlife is invisible, tucked in the cellar with a seperate entrance on 56th street for the general public. Nor is it regal, stuffy or intimidating, perhaps a bit serious but in a very Manhattan way that encourages thoughtfulness. Weekends are quieter and enjoyable. Beyond the well equipped rooms, the spa, Pilates room, pool, restaurants kept me entertained. I don’t remember leaving the hotel nor did I want to.

In true New York fashion I ordered one too many rounds of a Dirty Belvedere Martini with extra olives and they got it right… and that reminded me I was indeed in New York.
Fliar, offerendum, FlyerEC and 3 others like this.

Last edited by luxefarer; Mar 12, 2023 at 8:09 am
Old Mar 12, 2023, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by traveluxe
Will be proposing to my partner at Amanpulo this year. Any recommendations for best spot on the island to do so?
maybe on the private sunset cruise. If staying in the beach casita the boat will pick you up directly. The sunset is wildly romantic. In the shoulder season this can be booked in a moments notice allowing for perfect weather.

but if you want to be totally alone, I love the idea of the southern tip of the island, in the morning.

or

A private set up at Gary’s nest, you can pretend you’re going for a drive on the buggy, and then have a surprise waiting at the top of Gary’s nest. The amanpulo team will be happy to set it up.

or

The sandbar picnic experience could be beautiful

or

At night under the stars on the runway, champagne and stargazing.
Ericka, Fliar, FlyerEC and 2 others like this.

Last edited by luxefarer; Mar 12, 2023 at 12:44 pm
Old Mar 13, 2023, 8:50 am

Programs: LH HON
What's wrong with the recent (bad) reviews on Google re. Aman New York? It seems a lot of Aman customers are particulary unhappy about this place. Doesn't seem to be trolling as most of them positively reviewed other Aman properties.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by ckx2
What's wrong with the recent (bad) reviews on Google re. Aman New York? It seems a lot of Aman customers are particulary unhappy about this place. Doesn't seem to be trolling as most of them positively reviewed other Aman properties.
I'm guessing it's the same criticisms it got before opening - that it's crazy expensive in a market with as much competition as NY? What do the reviews say?
Old Mar 13, 2023, 9:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Smiley90
I'm guessing it's the same criticisms it got before opening - that it's crazy expensive in a market with as much competition as NY? What do the reviews say?
Basically boils down to you are paying crazy amounts of money and being treated like second class citizens, below residents and private club members.
Old Mar 13, 2023, 11:35 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
Funnily enough on a moment of weakness yesterday (or maybe the crap service I’m currently receiving at Rayavadee) I almost booked Aman NY - I was literally almost ready to email my agent until I saw the $16 cappuccino- at which point I thought pass and deleted the draft email.
bearbrick likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
Funnily enough on a moment of weakness yesterday (or maybe the crap service I’m currently receiving at Rayavadee) I almost booked Aman NY - I was literally almost ready to email my agent until I saw the $16 cappuccino- at which point I thought pass and deleted the draft email.
A large coffee at FS Downtown is $18. It's the Aman rack rates that make me press delete.
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
A large coffee at FS Downtown is $18. It's the Aman rack rates that make me press delete.
You are very right - just checked my MO bill and it was $14 . Maybe I’m not used to GBP/USD fx rate still! (But seriously I get annoyed when hotels mark up x4-5 or more a high street price).

Last edited by Zephyrous; Mar 14, 2023 at 6:08 am
Old Mar 14, 2023, 6:14 am

Last year I made a slightly speculative booking at Aman Tokyo for April 2023. It was for a three night stay in a Deluxe King and the rate was 150k yen per night. I now need to shift the dates to February 2024, and for the dates I'm looking at the rate will be 200k yen per night.

My question is - do I have any chance of moving the dates but hanging on to the current 150k rate? Ordinarily I would expect the answer to be an emphatic no, but Aman are now selling my April 2023 dates for over 300k yen per night (and my room category is sold out for my exact dates). To my mind they would stand to gain from being able to re-sell my April dates at the new, higher rate.

Has anyone here ever had success trying something similar?
Old Mar 14, 2023, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Zephyrous
So I tried the controversial 16 dollar cappuccino, regular cafe cappuccinos here nearing 8 dollars at times, inflation? supply? cafe ego? hmmmm.
Was the AMAN coffee worth 16 dollars? Not so sure. but this is sort of standard in New York for hotels unfortunately. They did offer a complimentary cappuccino on my early check-out. Thoughtful.
I also tried blank Street coffee shop next door and they have a wonderful latte.
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:02 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by afghafgh
Last year I made a slightly speculative booking at Aman Tokyo for April 2023. It was for a three night stay in a Deluxe King and the rate was 150k yen per night. I now need to shift the dates to February 2024, and for the dates I'm looking at the rate will be 200k yen per night.

My question is - do I have any chance of moving the dates but hanging on to the current 150k rate? Ordinarily I would expect the answer to be an emphatic no, but Aman are now selling my April 2023 dates for over 300k yen per night (and my room category is sold out for my exact dates). To my mind they would stand to gain from being able to re-sell my April dates at the new, higher rate.

Has anyone here ever had success trying something similar?
Welcome to Flyertalk, afghafgh
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by Arherm
i heard early 2023 is still on limited access for a simulation(?). They limit the people who can climb the temple. Also will be accompanied with a guide and change the foot wear with special sandals
I emailed Jiwo and they said the only option to visit the temple is via a shared tour. You have to line up each day and see if you will get picked. No options to reserve tickets in advance. I'm considering rescheduling this trip yet again (original plan was to go last August)
Old Mar 14, 2023, 4:44 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by benjinito
I emailed Jiwo and they said the only option to visit the temple is via a shared tour. You have to line up each day and see if you will get picked. No options to reserve tickets in advance. I'm considering rescheduling this trip yet again (original plan was to go last August)
This may be the new norm honestly as they are working hard to restrict access and Aman doesn't seem to have an "in". If the only reason you are going is to climb the temple then I would certainly consider re-booking dates but I am afraid you may keep running into this problem year after year.
benjinito likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.