Wiki Posts
Search

Pet friendly honeymoon in North America

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2021, 1:24 am
Original Poster

Pet friendly honeymoon in North America

Hi all!

My SO and I are getting married in October. We are looking for a honeymoon destination within the US / Mexico / Canada that would accommodate our 2 dogs. (This is necessary as one of them has an underlying health condition and we don't feel comfortable leaving him with a sitter). I'd really appreciate any recommendation from the fine members of this forum.

Some places that we've stayed at with them before that we really enjoyed:
- Amangiri
- Carneros Resort (Napa Valley)
- San Ysidro Ranch (Santa Barbara)
- Ventana Big Sur

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 22, 2021, 12:41 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by benjinito
Hi all!

My SO and I are getting married in October. We are looking for a honeymoon destination within the US / Mexico / Canada that would accommodate our 2 dogs. (This is necessary as one of them has an underlying health condition and we don't feel comfortable leaving him with a sitter). I'd really appreciate any recommendation from the fine members of this forum.

- Amangiri
- Ventana Big Sur

Thanks so much!
Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
Twin Farms, Vermont
benjinito likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 5:45 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Hi all!

- Amangiri
- Ventana Big Sur

Thanks so much!
any Ritz Carlton should be pet-friendly ... so where in the US, Canada, or Mexico would you like to go? Beach? Mountains?
Old Aug 22, 2021, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DavidO
any Ritz Carlton should be pet-friendly ... so where in the US, Canada, or Mexico would you like to go? Beach? Mountains?
Thanks for the response!

We are pretty open to suggestions: desert, beach, mountains, anything. The dogs are able to fly with us, so anything <5 hour flight from the West Coast (where we’re based) would work.

We’re looking for a secluded/private resort, so unfortunately that’d rule out most RC and FS. Amangiri is pretty spot on in terms of what we’re looking for (but we had been there before). Amangani is unfortunately not pet friendly.

Originally Posted by KatW
Las Ventanas al Paraiso in Cabo
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
Twin Farms, Vermont
Twin Farms is exactly the type of properties we’re looking for, thank you!
KatW likes this.
Old Aug 23, 2021, 9:09 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
We’re looking for a secluded/private resort, so unfortunately that’d rule out most RC and FS. Amangiri is pretty spot on in terms of what we’re looking for (but we had been there before). Amangani is unfortunately not pet friendly.
Take a look at RC Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve resort and under 100 rooms. All rooms are ocean view in two-story oceanfront buildings. No high rise by the sea here!
WasKnown and benjinito like this.
Old Aug 24, 2021, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
I stayed at the RC Dorado Beach in May. I highly recommend the plunge pool rooms. My boyfriend and I would both return here. Like DavidO said, it is low density in terms of guests. I think the dogs would like the resort too!

The food and service were both good particularly impressive since I was there during a Covid uptick.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:22 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
How large are the dogs? I found that many places now have weight limits for pets.

A pet-friendly choice (no fees, too!) is all Kimptons. They have properties all over North America.and allow multiple dogs of any size. The property in Tulum is very nice, and would fit your 'secluded' goal. I`ve also met people on the dog beach who say the same about the Huntington Beach location.

Also, check out this older thread which has some nice recommendations: Top Pet Friendly Hotels on Points, warm winter vacation
benjinito and wrp96 like this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 5:19 am

If Twin Farms is of interest, check out The Point in the Adirondacks. Even more secluded and exceptionally dog friendly. October is a little late for the foliage but it will still be beautiful up there. Try to book the Boat House if it’s available!
benjinito and wrp96 like this.

Last edited by Fc912; Aug 30, 2021 at 5:24 am
Old Sep 3, 2021, 9:55 am

Programs: AMEX Cent., Relais & Chateaux, LHW, SLH
I've brought my dog to Amangani before, but they didn't really have any dog amenities.

Other places I've been with my pup and I think overall good experience
- FS Vail
- The Little Nell
- Dunton Hot Springs
- FS Surfside (I know it's prob not best for honeymoon but they're really dog-friendly)
- Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino Cananda
- Inn of the Five Graces Santa Fe

How was San Ysidro and Ventana for dogs? These two are on my to-go list with my dog too

I'm going to Blackberry Farm in Nov, and they have dog-friendly cottages too

Other places I like & they are dog-friendly but my dog hasn't been - The Blantyre, The Point, Twin Farms, White Barn Inn, so I don't know how dog-friendly these places are
Old Sep 8, 2021, 12:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bhomburg
How large are the dogs? I found that many places now have weight limits for pets.

A pet-friendly choice (no fees, too!) is all Kimptons. They have properties all over North America.and allow multiple dogs of any size. The property in Tulum is very nice, and would fit your 'secluded' goal. I`ve also met people on the dog beach who say the same about the Huntington Beach location.

Also, check out this older thread which has some nice recommendations: Top Pet Friendly Hotels on Points, warm winter vacation
The dogs are both under 20lbs, so small by American standards They've had a lovely stay at a Kimpton in San Diego, thank you! Love that they don't charge a pet fee.

Although for this special occasion, we're looking for something a little more high end ($1k+/night)

Thank you for your input!

Originally Posted by instyleprincess
I've brought my dog to Amangani before, but they didn't really have any dog amenities.

Other places I've been with my pup and I think overall good experience
- FS Vail
- The Little Nell
- Dunton Hot Springs
- FS Surfside (I know it's prob not best for honeymoon but they're really dog-friendly)
- Wickaninnish Inn in Tofino Cananda
- Inn of the Five Graces Santa Fe

How was San Ysidro and Ventana for dogs? These two are on my to-go list with my dog too

I'm going to Blackberry Farm in Nov, and they have dog-friendly cottages too

Other places I like & they are dog-friendly but my dog hasn't been - The Blantyre, The Point, Twin Farms, White Barn Inn, so I don't know how dog-friendly these places are
LOVE that you're a fellow dog lover. Gave me lots of ideas so THANK YOU.

It's so strange that you were able to bring your dog to Amangani. I emailed them and they said this:

Kindly be advised that we do not allow dogs on the property since we are located on a wildlife sanctuary that does not allow domestic animals.
Did you visit recently?

Ventana is probably the most dog friendly place I've ever been to. They have an excellent dog menu (which mine LOVED) and the dogs were pretty much allowed everywhere. They really enjoyed the greenery and trails, but that's probably true for all the places on your list

San Ysidro Ranch is also very dog friendly and has cute dog amenities, although only the premium cottages are dog friendly, so one minor ding for that.

Last edited by RichardInSF; Sep 9, 2021 at 6:52 pm Reason: Consecutive posts by same member
Old Sep 9, 2021, 10:09 am

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Ventana Big Sur is great, last I visited about 1/3 of the guests had dogs. Two guests had old English sheepdogs, which are rare! It's a great place for honeymoons, babymoons, etc, especially if you are the outdoorsy type.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 2:39 am
Original Member

Will never return to Ventana Big Sur. Recently branded as an Alila property. We had been guests for almost thirty years, multiple times a year. It was true luxury. It now has been recast as a millennial hangout, the property not as sumptuous, the restaurant has suffered, and the higher-priced suites are tired, some decks poorly furnished and not pristine. Intolerable at those price points.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 7:57 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
For New Yorkers

Huge fan of Getaway Western Catskills. https://getaway.house/western-catskills

~$650/night on weekends and ~$300/night on weekdays (after taxes and fees). You can add a pet for like $50/night.
benjinito likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2021, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KatW
Will never return to Ventana Big Sur. Recently branded as an Alila property. We had been guests for almost thirty years, multiple times a year. It was true luxury. It now has been recast as a millennial hangout, the property not as sumptuous, the restaurant has suffered, and the higher-priced suites are tired, some decks poorly furnished and not pristine. Intolerable at those price points.
Appreciate your thoughts KatW - I believe the compliments for Ventana Big Sur on this thread are specifically related to their pet policies

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.