Deflagged luxury properties and projects around the world

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Deflagged luxury properties and projects around the world

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2021, 1:15 am
formerly known as deathscar

Programs: Virtuoso | Four Seasons Preferred Partner | Rosewood Elite | Hyatt Prive - and more
Originally Posted by clubeurope
I read somewhere (I think it may have been here on FT) that IHG is planning for a big relaunch of Regent to be concurrent with the relaunch of InterContinental Hong Kong as Regent Hong Kong next year or in 2023 after their renovation.

As it stands, Regent has only gained one new hotel, which is their Shanghai property (ex Four Seasons Shanghai Pudong). Likewise, that property is already branded as the relaunched Regent brand as stipulated by IHG, and we could expect more to come. The relaunched brand is evident from the new Regent logo which has replaced the signage of the FS Pudong.

Regent Shanghai with new Regent logo signage

The fact that none of the other properties carry this new logo or signage either physically or on their social media indicates that a big relaunch may be underway...
There is word going round that the rebrand of InterContinental HK won't be as big as one imagined (I assume Covid-19 had a part to play in that) - but it's just rumours at this stage.

If they really do revamp it to become a proper worldwide flagship hotel and bring it "back' to the Regent, but in the 2020s, then we're in for a treat. If it's just a few small fixes to the original building and interiors, then that will be hugely disappointing and will take away from the whole "The Regent is back"

I guess it remains to be seen and we'll only know once it's unveiled or more details are released - I really do hope they go full on here!

They also need to figure out what to do with some of their other hotels that you'd think aren't really in line with the "new" Regent (supposedly).
Old May 11, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
The Four Seasons Provence was short-lived.
offerendum likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 1:16 am

Programs: Virgin FC, Qantas, Golden Circle, Sofitel, Hyatt, Starwood, Nectar, and my Tesco Club Card
Originally Posted by chinmoylad
Also the InterContinental Hong Kong, which was originally a Regent, and will become a Regent again - sadly it seems the scope of the renovation won't be as extensive as initially expected - I guess we will only really know when it properly opens up. Some nice properties in that list too - wonder if we'll ever see the original Regent again (but a modern day version) rather than the watered down current one.

Now a Four Seasons

Don't forget The Datai! Probably the most stunning GHM property - as well as The Chedi Club Tanah Gajah and The Legian. Real shame they've lost so many.
Wasn't The Surin also a GHM at one point?
The Regent / FS / Anantara in Bangkok started life as The Peninsula many many years ago (1978) - The shopping centre next door is still called The Peninsula Plaza

Few other Mandarin Orientals
OK, not Luxury, but the Excelsior in HK, which I think was also their head office.and a big money earner for them by all accounts
The Bela Vista in Macau (now an embassy)
The Phuket Yacht Club became a MO for a few years before becoming a Royal Meridien and then the independent Nai Harn Hotel
MO Baan Taling Ngam in Ko Samui became the Intercontinental
I think they also ran, for a short while, one of the old Florida Beach hotels - was it The Breakers in Palm Beach

Last edited by Kettering Northants QC; May 13, 2021 at 10:01 am
Old May 13, 2021, 8:27 am
jbb

Programs: SQ *Gold
There have been a couple of de-flagged Fairmonts in Canada. The Fairmont Hotel Newfoundland in St. John's became a Sheraton and the Fairmont St. Andrews in New Brunswick became an Autograph Collection.
Old May 13, 2021, 11:18 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Some more in Bali (although admittedly not luxurious in the standard of FT):
The Grand Inna Bali Beach (apparently a terrible hotel nowadays) opened as the InterContinental Bali in the 60s. It was the first International chain hotel to open in Bali.

Both the Westin Nusa Dua Bali and the Laguna Luxury Collection Bali hotels opened as the Sheraton Nusa Indah and Sheraton Lagoon respectively. Interestingly back in the day, Sheraton (back then ITT Sheraton) operated some considerably luxurious properties, including the current St Regis New York. In fact, Luxury Collection was originally called Sheraton Luxury Collection.

The Hilton Bali - now Ayodya Resort Bali
Le Meridien Nirwana - later Pan Pacific Nirwana, now soon to be a TRUMP Resort
Grand Nikko Bali - now Hilton Bali
the other Chedi Ubud - now Alila Ubud

Furthermore, Raffles also had a few properties that has since been reflagged:
Raffles The Plaza Singapore - now Fairmont Singapore
Raffles Vier Jahreszeiten Hamburg - now Fairmont Vier Jahreszeiten
Raffles The Brown London - now a Rocco Forte Hotel
Raffles L'Ermitage Beverley Hills - now a Viceroy
Raffles Canouan (previously a Rosewood) - now Carnage Estate Resort
Raffles Tianjin - now Tangla Tianjin
Apparently they also four different plans for a Raffles in Bali... the first a 210 villa (?!) property in Jimbaran, then a 90 villa property in Dreamland Beach Jimbaran (opening this year as a Jumeirah), then another in Bukit Peninsula (now destined to be a Waldorf Astoria), and finally the current Raffles Bali coincidentally in... Jimbaran (opened last year).

Then there's also, the Patina (Capella's less luxurious but still luxurious brand which was meant to make its debut years ago) in Singapore opened as a Kempinski.

Alila
Alila Cha Am - now Hotel Cha Am
3 Nagas by Alila Luang Prabang - now 3 Nagas by MGallery
Alila Jakarta - now "Sparkluxe Hotel Jakarta" (yikes)
Alila Villas Hadahaa - now Park Hyatt Maldives
Alila Villas Lonudhua - never seemed to open? the island (Lonudhoo Hutta) seems abandoned on maps.
Old May 14, 2021, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by clubeurope
Interestingly back in the day, Sheraton (back then ITT Sheraton) operated some considerably luxurious properties, including the current St Regis New York. In fact, Luxury Collection was originally called Sheraton Luxury Collection.
I remember these days. Sheraton was quite different from today. My first Luxury Collection hotel was the Sheraton Munich (Arabella Sheraton, The Westin Grand).
Old May 15, 2021, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by offerendum
I remember these days. Sheraton was quite different from today. My first Luxury Collection hotel was the Sheraton Munich (Arabella Sheraton, The Westin Grand).
I stayed in those places in the 90's. But the most impressive ITT Sheraton hotels were the CIGA properties. Compagnia Italiana Grandi Alberghi. A few of which are still with Marriott to this day.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-hotel-venice/
offerendum likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by stimpy
I stayed in those places in the 90's. But the most impressive ITT Sheraton hotels were the CIGA properties. Compagnia Italiana Grandi Alberghi. A few of which are still with Marriott to this day.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-hotel-venice/
The CIGA properties were amazing. I still have a CIGA hanger or two in my closet. They haven't quite been the same since they became Starwood/Dorchester properties.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
St. Regis Monarch Beach in Orange County, went independent for a while, is now a Waldorf-Astoria.
Old May 25, 2021, 9:29 am

Rafael Hotels were extraordinary - allied to Amanresorts back in the day. Georg Rafael sold to Mandarin Oriental, so we lost a few, and those that remain are not what they were. The Mark in NYC was superb, as was Hôtel du Rhône in Geneva (now a MO business hotel). Pity.
FlyerEC and clubeurope like this.
Old Dec 14, 2021, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Adding a few

The Trump Panama City is now a JW Marriott.

The Trump SoHo in New York is now independent and known as The Dominick.

The Jumeirah Essex House in NYC is now JW Marriott.

The former Rome Cavalieri Hilton is now Waldorf Astoria.

The Ritz Carlton Battery Park in New York became an independent hotel, The Wagner, which appears to be closed now. Ritz Carlton does still appear to manage the residences at the former hotel.

The Thompson New York was previously Starwood and LHW affiliated.

The Waldorf Chicago began it's life as the independent Elysian Hotel.

The forthcoming St Regis Chicago was supposed to be Wanda Vista, the first US property for the Asian brand.

The Ritz Carlton Al Wadi in Ras Al Khaima opened as a Banyan Tree.

The Gwen, a Marriott Luxury Collection in Chicago, was previously a Conrad.

The former Intercontinental Playa Bonita in Panama is now a Dreams, which recently joined Hyatt.

The Fairmont Copley Plaza in Boston was previously a Fairmont and Wyndham.

The David Citadel, an independent luxury hotel in Jerusalem, was previously with Hilton.

The Emirates Palace in Abu Dhabi is now a Mandarin Oriental and was previously Kempinski.

Alila Napa Valley was previously Las Alcobas of the Marriott Luxury Collection.

Miami Beach's Eden Roc was previously part of Marriott's Renaissance brand.

The Ritz Carlton in Bal Harbour, FL used to be the independent One Bal Harbour.

The St Regis Washington DC was previously the independent Carlton Hotel and was also previously a Sheraton.

The former Capella Georgetown in Washington DC is now the Rosewood Washington DC.

Last edited by BA_Jfan; Dec 15, 2021 at 7:02 am Reason: Added details
Old Dec 15, 2021, 12:10 am

St Regis Mauritius was recently rebranded as a JW Marriott. The new promotional video for the resort as a JW Marriott still contained a lot of the original St Regis branding. We stayed there back in 2013 not long after it opened and it was ok but the resort doesn't seem to have had much success since Bernard de Villele left and regularly gets poor reviews.
Old Dec 15, 2021, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
The forthcoming St Regis Chicago was supposed to be Wanda Vista, the first US property for an Asian brand.
?

It won't be the first Asian brand in the US. Ever heard of Prince?
Old Dec 15, 2021, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by stimpy
?

It won't be the first Asian brand in the US. Ever heard of Prince?
It was supposed to be the first US property for Vista, a luxury brand by Wanda, an Asian company. Not the first Asian luxury brand in the US.

Apologies for the typo.

A number of Asian luxury brands have US properties. Aman, Peninsula, Mandarin Oriental etc.
Old Dec 19, 2021, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by BA_Jfan
The former Rome Cavalieri Hilton is now Waldorf Astoria.
Not really a deflag in this case, as it's still a Hilton. They only changed the brand inside the group. It's like a RC getting a JW or a Crown Plata an Intercontinental.

Another example I didn't see so far is Grand Hotel Stockholm. Was an Intercontinental for a short time during the financial crisis. Bow independent again.
clubeurope likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.