Wiki Posts
Search

Euro Road Trip - Luxury Hotels - Advice/Critique please

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2020, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: some blue some silver some gold
Euro Road Trip - Luxury Hotels - Advice/Critique please

So with everything going on I thought I might take the Macan on a short Euro road trip from London in late August rather than fly (dare I say that on here)

Advice/critique please on my hotel choices and itinerary:

Day one: drive to Dijon (or somewhere else en route), stay at Relais & Chateaux type or similar

Day two: drive to Megeve Four Seasons, stay one night

Day three: drive to Milan, stay two nights at the Four Seasons or Park Hyatt

Day five: drive to Lake Como for one night (Il Sereno) and then on to Lucerne for one night (Burgenstock) OR just stop on Lake Como for lunch and drive to Lucerne for two nights (Park Hotel Vitznau)

Day seven: drive to Gstaad for two nights (Alpina)

Day nine: drive back home via overnight stay in Dijon again (or similar)

Any advice on itinerary or hotels much appreciated! It’s nice to plan during these times... want to mix city/shopping with lakes with mountains. Any activities we’ll do on the driving days so just want to enjoy being in nice hotels the rest of the time.

Stay safe and well... And thank you 🙏🏼

D
Old May 29, 2020, 10:47 pm

Having done this sort of trip and hoping to do another this autumn (v. doubtful at the moment), I would say your itinerary seems rather rushed. My major suggestion is this - stay at Lake Como for a few days, park the car there, and take the train into Milan for the day. You won't want to drive into Milan. Even that lovely Porsche Macan will be a major hassle.

I recall that Il Sereno has had some terrible reviews on this Forum.
Old May 31, 2020, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Pausanias
You won't want to drive into Milan. Even that lovely Porsche Macan will be a major hassle.
Why? Beside their complicated toll it's not one of the difficult cities to drive in.
Old May 31, 2020, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
Why? Beside their complicated toll it's not one of the difficult cities to drive in.
Well, because you don't need a car in the city, the tolls are indeed complicated and driving in large, unfamiliar cities can be quite stressful. But of course, in the current Covid climate, I wouldn't take public transport, or even a taxi. Or visit a hotel for that matter.
Old May 31, 2020, 11:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This seems far too rushed, and I think you are being too optimistic with respect to traveling times in August. The usual traffic jams are likely to be worse, and arriving at a beautiful hotel at 7pm only to leave after breakfast defeats the purpose.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: LH HON, AF Platinum
I've heard some pretty bad things about Il Sereno in this forum, so I'd search around before pulling the trigger on that.

In Milan, I think the Four Seasons is dated and Park Hyatt is a step below some of the other amazing properties. I've heard great things about the Armani and Bvlgari hotels, surprisingly.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by sophialite
In Milan, I think the Four Seasons is dated and Park Hyatt is a step below some of the other amazing properties. I've heard great things about the Armani and Bvlgari hotels, surprisingly.
Thatīs an eternal discussion.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Pausanias
Well, because you don't need a car in the city, the tolls are indeed complicated and driving in large, unfamiliar cities can be quite stressful. But of course, in the current Covid climate, I wouldn't take public transport, or even a taxi. Or visit a hotel for that matter.
I understand it. In the end it depends on the driver. Of course it can be stressful, but for me itīs mostly more stressful to take public transport.
Old Jun 1, 2020, 7:41 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Avios
I visited Il Sereno for lunch so I can't commented extensively on service but in terms of style I found it too modern and it didn't have that old school glamour of my favourite Lake Como hotels, Villa D'Este and Grand Hotel Tremezzo.

May be contrary to popular opinion but I love Four Seasons Milan, I didn't think it was dated.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.