Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Bangkok 2020

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2021, 7:00 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by scented
Have you met anyone from Guest Relations? Are they engaging with guests?
After the hiccup regarding pillows I was told the duty manager would come meet us during breakfast the next day. They were true to their word and they did. However the visit was brief and simply told us to let them know if we needed anything, rather than ask for our feedback about our stay which I was willing to provide. That was different than the chef who did in fact ask for our opinion and probably got useful feedback from us.

I also met the guest relations manager at front desk but it was me going to her with a question about Capella Hotel next door, rather than them proactively engaging with me.
scented likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:13 pm

Programs: Virtuoso TA, UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Platinum
Thanks for the review! Looking forward to checking this out if Thailand really opens up to vaccinated tourists in a few months.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Capella's breakfast blows this one away and they let you have it in-room. They have everything from high quality fruit, dim sum to the Thai breakfast omelette and congee. Same for Rosewood's breakfast and they have the TOTOs. Barta should know better since he started in Bangkok.
escape4 likes this.

Last edited by Aventine; Mar 3, 2021 at 6:34 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:52 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Many thanks for your review! The product looks great and I hope they can improve their service standards over time.

Originally Posted by escape4
I found it less than ideal to have to walk there in exercise clothes especially going back to my room after my workout all stinky and sweaty while people were having their breakfast nearby.
I do appreciate your views on this. Unfortunately, we live in an era where more and more people think it's perfectly acceptable to go for breakfast right after working out, all sweaty and in gym clothes.
vuittonsofstyle, escape4 and ewoo like this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: CX MPC
Originally Posted by offerendum
Some more details would be nice... I think at the moment it's not that easy to find outstanding service in city hotels.
Advantage with Thai-quarantine is at least you can choose your hotel and room. If necessa14 days in a suite at Anantara Siam (one of the hotels you can choose from) are much nicer than at a 2 star motel
The hardware quality disappointed me. I stayed in a suite with non-label basins and the bathtub already has stains. They did show me a dexlue room, which is their sample room. In that room, the basin looks the same as the one in my suite, but it has duravit label...
Many rooms & suites have privacy problem as they are facing each other. Be sure to ask a room/suite on the first row.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by ppppewang
The hardware quality disappointed me. I stayed in a suite with non-label basins and the bathtub already has stains. They did show me a dexlue room, which is their sample room. In that room, the basin looks the same as the one in my suite, but it has duravit label...
Many rooms & suites have privacy problem as they are facing each other. Be sure to ask a room/suite on the first row.
Gathy likes to work with Duravit and Koehler. Think he used Koehler for the Otemachi property. The individual elements are not really impressive on their own, his design lives from scale and his signature dramatic lines.

Interesting details, thank you!
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by ppppewang
I am assuming "first row" you mean the room type 'premier river view'? This was my room type, looking straight at the river and absolutely no privacy issues, the room was great. I do believe it's worth paying extra for this room, it would be a bummer to stay at FS to be right by the river, but end up in an entry level room without views whatsoever except for the rooms in front of you.

Personally, I did not think the hardware was a weakness of FS. It's not over the top wow but there are not many hotels in the city which would rank higher for hardware. 137 Pillars and Waldorf Astoria are very nice but we can find hardware faults to those two as well. Mandarin Oriental is great but the room much smaller than FS and older despite renovations so when all things considered I would still pick the room I had at FS unless you move up a few categories of rooms at MO but then price-wise the comparison is not fair to FS. The Siam is completely different style than FS so no comparison, St.Regis is starting to have wear & tear, Park Hyatt hardware is weak.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by scented
Gathy likes to work with Duravit and Koehler. Think he used Koehler for the Otemachi property. The individual elements are not really impressive on their own, his design lives from scale and his signature dramatic lines.

Interesting details, thank you!
The thing is they use in Duravit in their sample room. Come to the real room, it become no-label.
The owner of FS Bangkok must did some budget cuts in development.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:48 am

I am assuming "first row" you mean the room type 'premier river view'? This was my room type, looking straight at the river and absolutely no privacy issues, the room was great. I do believe it's worth paying extra for this room, it would be a bummer to stay at FS to be right by the river, but end up in an entry level room without views whatsoever except for the rooms in front of you.

Personally, I did not think the hardware was a weakness of FS. It's not over the top wow but there are not many hotels in the city which would rank higher for hardware. 137 Pillars and Waldorf Astoria are very nice but we can find hardware faults to those two as well. Mandarin Oriental is great but the room much smaller than FS and older despite renovations so when all things considered I would still pick the room I had at FS unless you move up a few categories of rooms at MO but then price-wise the comparison is not fair to FS. The Siam is completely different style than FS so no comparison, St.Regis is starting to have wear & tear, Park Hyatt hardware is weak.
Yeah. Premier river view room and Executive Suite.
escape4 likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
I think the room looks pretty small. I always thought even the rooms at the MO are quite big.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by offerendum
I think the room looks pretty small. I always thought even the rooms at the MO are quite big.
Blame it on my poor camera The entry level room at MO is 43 sqm and last year I was upgraded to Chao Praya Room which is even smaller at 35 sqm. The room at FS felt much bigger and the disclosed size of 50 sqm felt accurate to me rather than distorted by some kind of creative accounting. The major difference was the bathroom: very small in MO's Chao Praya Room, and reasonably spacious at FS. The living area and bedroom are more comparable.
Old Mar 6, 2021, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Blame it on my poor camera The entry level room at MO is 43 sqm and last year I was upgraded to Chao Praya Room which is even smaller at 35 sqm. The room at FS felt much bigger and the disclosed size of 50 sqm felt accurate to me rather than distorted by some kind of creative accounting. The major difference was the bathroom: very small in MO's Chao Praya Room, and reasonably spacious at FS. The living area and bedroom are more comparable.
They could only do so much with the existing building. Even the Mandarin Room bathroom is tiny compared to FS or Capella.
escape4 likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 3:17 am

Given the proximity to MO I guess the comparisons were inevitable. From what I'm reading in the thread it seems the opinion is that the hard product is better at the FS but MO has a slight edge on the soft side.

I'm planning a belated 40-yo surprise vacation for the missus so FS bangkok is definitely on my radar now.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:08 am

Originally Posted by SocialAdept
Given the proximity to MO I guess the comparisons were inevitable. From what I'm reading in the thread it seems the opinion is that the hard product is better at the FS but MO has a slight edge on the soft side.
From my experience the edge of MO over FS is not 'slight' on the soft side, in fact quite material. However I heard from someone who stayed at MO recently who was not overly impressed by service.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 4:24 am

From my experience the edge of MO over FS is not 'slight' on the soft side, in fact quite material. However I heard from someone who stayed at MO recently who was not overly impressed by service.
To be honest, staycations (as important as they are right now) have a terrible effect on service levels and staff morale. This is well known in Bangkok and several other locales. The teams just seem to make a more limited effort and guests have different expectations.
escape4 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.