FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Four Seasons Bangkok 2020 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1994593-four-seasons-bangkok-2020-a.html)

Desirees Nov 8, 2019 5:34 am

Four Seasons Bangkok 2020

Anyone booked into the hotel to stay when it opens? Just booked for April - 2 rooms for 3 nights thanks to our amazing Virtuoso agent and he has gotten us a pretty sweet deal and is going to follow up with them closer to the date to check for upgrades. Will definitely post our experience here but meanwhile wanted to get this thread going...

nvoi Dec 12, 2020 11:11 am

I've not stayed but only dined at this property today (Chinese restaurant Yu Ting Yuan was excellent with cheerful and friendly staff) as it's still not open for stays. From what I understand, the property will welcome guests from around Christmas but given the low rates at other hotels at the moment, I'll not likely stay there.

scented Dec 12, 2020 1:22 pm

This will be such a special hotel... about time FS returns to Bangkok! And in very good hands with Lubosh Barta.

Also another property in which Jean-Michel Gathy was really able to show his dramatic lines, with budget seemingly quite sufficient. It seems as though the owner was very willing to spend a bit more, especially compared to Otemachi.

I am forever loyal to The Siam and while FS will not lure me away from it, I definitely will extend and add a few nights there. Hopefully after their soft opening on December 18 we will get a few reports... very little excuses not to get the service right, they had plenty of time after all to prepare! They have also been open for a while for events (think over a year now) and some got to stay in the rooms as well, although very limited from what I gather.

NYC Flyer Dec 12, 2020 2:10 pm

This one is definitely on my list. Hope to make a mid-'21 visit work!

FlyerEC Dec 17, 2020 5:08 pm

She officially opens today !

Has an unusual ice cream service - done in a long horizontal kebab style - 4 flavours . Sure looking forward to visit when borders reopen , preferably with no mandatory quarantine ! Perhaps a very short one in this FS might be an option if one has a choice and is allowed .

scented Dec 18, 2020 2:22 am

Originally Posted by FlyerEC (Post 32893661)
She officially opens today !

Has an unusual ice cream service - done in a long horizontal kebab style - 4 flavours . Sure looking forward to visit when borders reopen , preferably with no mandatory quarantine ! Perhaps a very short one in this FS might be an option if one has a choice and is allowed .

I have seen this ! Brilliant. Hopefully Thailand moves to a more hospitable form of entry rules... In the meantime, I can already see how chic locals will flock to dine there... BKK Social Club looks amazing.

Aventine Dec 18, 2020 2:50 am

No doubt to be a luxury BKK hotspot for 2021.

escape4 Jan 23, 2021 4:31 pm

I am not sure if another FTer will stay at FS in the next few weeks, but if not I might be the first to provide a review on FT in early March. Looking forward to try this new property.

scented Jan 24, 2021 5:26 am

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 32989952)
I am not sure if another FTer will stay at FS in the next few weeks, but if not I might be the first to provide a review on FT in early March. Looking forward to try this new property.

Oh please do... while the pictures look good, I would be so interested to hear a report on the service.

Thailand is unfortunately still off limits to me, as quarantine is the deal breaker. Especially 14 days... too long for me.

ppppewang Jan 24, 2021 8:07 am

Originally Posted by scented (Post 32990627)
Oh please do... while the pictures look good, I would be so interested to hear a report on the service.

Thailand is unfortunately still off limits to me, as quarantine is the deal breaker. Especially 14 days... too long for me.

Service is ok, but nothing special.

offerendum Jan 24, 2021 10:49 am

Originally Posted by ppppewang (Post 32990865)
Service is ok, but nothing special.

Some more details would be nice... I think at the moment it's not that easy to find outstanding service in city hotels.
Advantage with Thai-quarantine is at least you can choose your hotel and room. If necessa14 days in a suite at Anantara Siam (one of the hotels you can choose from) are much nicer than at a 2 star motel

scented Jan 24, 2021 11:21 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 32991185)
Some more details would be nice... I think at the moment it's not that easy to find outstanding service in city hotels.
Advantage with Thai-quarantine is at least you can choose your hotel and room. If necessa14 days in a suite at Anantara Siam (one of the hotels you can choose from) are much nicer than at a 2 star motel

Totally agree... more details! In a city with The Siam and MOBKK "nothing special" doesn't quite cut it... it has to be special and by the sound of it FS claims the property and service are very special.

I saw that as well, offerendum, regarding Anantara Siam... think this may be the best option for quarantine. Much like LMO in HK, but then again... you are confined to the room and after a while, even the Jim Thompson Explorer Suite gets a little boring.

offerendum Jan 24, 2021 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by scented (Post 32991249)
Totally agree... more details! In a city with The Siam and MOBKK "nothing special" doesn't quite cut it... it has to be special and by the sound of it FS claims the property and service are very special.

I saw that as well, offerendum, regarding Anantara Siam... think this may be the best option for quarantine. Much like LMO in HK, but then again... you are confined to the room and after a while, even the Jim Thompson Explorer Suite gets a little boring.

Totally agree with both. I surely never volunteer for a quarantine.

escape4 Mar 3, 2021 6:05 am

Four Seasons Bangkok = Great Potential but Work in Progress

Introduction Four Seasons Bangkok opened a couple of months ago and despite knowing that it would most likely not be a well-oiled machine yet, I gave it a try. Based on our stay I can say the hardware is excellent but the soft product remains a work in progress as can be expected for a new hotel so they will need a bit of time. That said the potential is clearly there. Location FS is located in a new complex on the east side of the river close to the Saphan Taksin BTS sky train station. By being next to the river, it is one of the best areas of the city for tourism purposes. One of FS’s competitors Mandarin Oriental is also nearby but north of the BTS station whereas FS is south of the station. FS is immediately next door to Capella Hotel which is also new and has the same owner as FS. Room I booked the entry level room as part of a hotel opening promotion I received a 2-category upgrade to a similar size room but on the river side with the best views (“Premier Riverview Room”). The room is reasonably spacious for luxury hotel standards over 50 sqm and built to a high standard including a combo of hardwood floor and carpet in the living room and floor to ceiling windows in the living room and a nice lounging chair by the window to take advantage of the beautiful views. The bathroom was functional although I might have expected Toto washlets for a hotel of this caliber. Otherwise the technological features were good including electric curtains and blinds plus a tablet to order whatever we wanted ranging from room service, to the pillow menu, or extra bathroom amenities, and we could also chat with customer service. Overall this room would rank among my favorites in Bangkok in terms of non-suites, definitely a step above the room at Mandarin Oriental for example which I found too small. Bathroom amenities were Maison Francis Kurkdjian from La Bottega. The packaging felt light and a bit cheap (also not marked where it was made, China?) especially compared to the luxurious metallic bottles at Mandarin Oriental. Also the smell of MFK was not my favorite. As a minor point, I would also note that various other amenities at FS were a modestly inferior to MO for example the bathrobe (silk at MO and standard at FS); in addition the slippers at FS were more akin to cheap slippers from a Four Points hotel rather than a Four Seasons. Service Service was inconsistent during our stay, sometimes excellent, and sometimes in need for improvement. The best service was in the BKK Social Club where several staff members had the right personality style for working in the bar. Given that the bar only reopened a few days ago following the lifting of covid restrictions, I expected the place to be dead but it was not too bad with good music and an interesting cocktail menu focused on Argentina. Service was also good in the fitness gym and in the restaurant when we were there for breakfast and afternoon tea. At the other end of the scale, when I ordered pillows from the menu it triggered a series of events which exposed some service flaws. They brought pillows to my room as requested but to my surprise they were both without pillow cases. When I pointed out that it was not very sanitary they assured me that the pillows were new and had not been used by anybody else and that after us, they would wash them at very high temperature. Not only is this a questionable practice, but I replied that it was not only a question of how clean they were but also they need linens to feel softer and that we should not use naked pillows like that. Their response was that those pillows had unusual dimensions and they did not have the matching Four Seasons pillow cases yet. Fair enough, it’s a new hotel after all, but I would never expect a Courtyard or DoubleTree hotel to deliver naked pillows to guests in any circumstances. Unfortunately it did not end there. They mentioned that they would bring us substitute pillows with pillow cases which would not match with the rest of the bed linens, which was fine by us – no big deal it’s not a fashion show. However several hours we had not received anything and when I asked again what the status was, they sadly made excuses: they said it was because the “do not disturb” light was on so housekeeping walked away. Any reasonable hotel would simply leave a note, call our room, or they could have also informed me via the chat feature as they did previously, rather than just drop the issue entirely and use DND as the justification for what happened. I pointed out to them that a few hours prior, the DND light did not stop room service from bringing our food order, rather than walk back to the kitchen with our dinner without saying a word. Regarding the rest of the service in the hotel, it was middle of the road, not bad and not great either. It would have helped if they reached out to me ahead of time to be prepared for our arrival with special requests like many top hotels do, but there was nothing. My wife is pregnant and many hotels recently went out of their way to ensure she is having a comfortable stay (hence the pillows) or recognizing the special occasion to make her feel highly welcome at the hotel, but FS did nothing of the sort. While there was nothing wrong being done, there was also nothing to distinguish themselves either, so in my opinion they are currently unquestionably behind Mandarin Oriental for service as this hotel is absolutely world class in that regard at every step of the way. Except for service at the bar, I would say FS might possibly also be modestly behind other big chain brands in Bangkok like Park Hyatt, St.Regis, and Waldorf Astoria, although as a repeat guest at those hotels it is partially unfair to FS as a first time guest. Dining At check-in we asked if we could have breakfast in the room and we were told the breakfast benefit was in the restaurant only; if we wanted room service we would have to pay for it. I noticed that the room service menu had several interesting dishes, so my expectations were high and it set things up for a major disappointment when we went to the restaurant. Breakfast was entirely a la carte which is a plus relative to a buffet, but the menu was very limited, too western oriented, and had no luxury features whatsoever. By comparison the breakfast at 137 Pillars blows FS out of the water, I also preferred Mandarin Oriental and The Siam over FS, and a significantly number of other hotels in a lower price range also have a better breakfast such as Waldorf Astoria, Park Hyatt, Athenee, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, Banyan Tree, Sofitel SO, etc. To FS’s credit we were allowed to order some basic items off the menu for example a green salad as there were no veggies available on the menu otherwise, and they also brought me fried rice with shrimps. But even the fruit selection was very basic, a far cry from mangosteens at Park Hyatt, the wide choice of berries at Waldorf Astoria, or freshly cut mangoes at SGS. The chef came to greet us during breakfast and asked for our feedback. I did not complain but I was honest and fair in my assessment - the menu could be improved to match their competitors. He welcomed our feedback and invited us to complimentary afternoon tea which was a good gesture as they probably did not want guests to leave disappointed so kudos to them. Afternoon tea it was quite impressive with lobster tacos and a foie gras amuse-bouche among other things and they also provided cocktails free of charge so all in all they more than made up for the weaker breakfast. Regarding room service we ordered for dinner once, the crab fried rice was excellent with generous pieces of crab, but Gaeng Kiow Wan Gai was subpar with bad pieces of chicken. Other dishes were good, and surprisingly prices on the menu were very reasonable for a hotel of this level – perhaps prices reflect the current state of the economy and prices will be raised in a few months. I have seen far higher menu prices at Park Hyatt, Waldorf Astoria, and St.Regis in the past. Gym In order to go from our room to the fitness gym and spa, it was necessary to walk through the lounge & bar where they serve breakfast and also through the lobby area. I found it less than ideal to have to walk there in exercise clothes especially going back to my room after my workout all stinky and sweaty while people were having their breakfast nearby. The fitness gym itself was as good as expected with new modern equipment. One staff member on site provided good proactive service. Wifi Wifi worked well with speeds of about 50 Mbps. Overall Thankfully improvements in soft product are easier to make than improvements in the rooms and hardware so in my opinion this hotel has good potential. Once tourism recovers I would expect FS to raise prices and they should also improve their breakfast at the same time. On many occasions we could see staff trying to do their best and offer good service, I would give them the benefit of the doubt since they are still new. I will return at some point in the future to re-assess the progress they have made.

scented Mar 3, 2021 6:43 am

Great review, thank you, and let's hope service will improve. By the sound of it, they still have quite a few issues to sort out and given probably lowish demand, it would be a good time to work on this aspect. Not what I had hoped, but it's early days...

Have you met anyone from Guest Relations? Are they engaging with guests?