Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Mandarin Oriental Miami trip report

Mandarin Oriental Miami

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Mandarin Oriental Miami

500 Brickell Key Dr Miami, FL US 33131

Mandarin Oriental Miami trip report (3 Photos)

Mandarin Oriental Miami

In short: The Mandarin Oriental is a good hotel for those who want to be close to downtown Miami, and don't want to spend much time on South Beach (the drive is rather long)

The hotel is located well, as it's just across the bridge from downtown Miami  (and reasonably close to MIA, ~20-25 min drive) but it's on Brickell Key, an artificial island that has the MO and condiminium buildings. This means that the island is much quieter, and you have a nice view of the skyline over the water from one side of the hotel. The pool is nice, and the spa is exactly what you would expect from Mandarin Oriental, which is to say very nice, but not over the top expensive. I'd certainly stay here again, although if I wanted to be on Miami Beach more than once during my trip I'd choose somewhere else. 

Do note that some Uber drivers will try to drive into the gated area of the island, which will cause issues- the hotel is to the right before the gate, not beyond it.

Check In

The check-in was overall very nice. Very friendly and warm staff, bags were whisked away directly from the car and all appeared in the correct rooms (still not sure how they did that, as all the bags were matching). 

We arrived extremely early off our flight (around 9:45 AM), fully expecting to be asked to return later, but to our suprise both of our rooms were ready in less than half an hour. 

Amex FHR benefits were explained and offered proactively- she actually upgraded both rooms without us even asking, which is rare. 

Room

The rooms were thoughtfully designed and had great views of the skyline, although as she said she upgraded us to the "bay view deluxe rooms" I'm not really sure what she meant, although to be fair I'd take the skyline view at night any day. IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg

There was one questionable design element though, which, while fairly minor, I feel that I should address- these chairs. I could find no comfortable way to sit on them, and I don't really understand why they're there instead of a more comfortable armchair or chaise lounge.

IMG_1914.jpeg

Dining

I didn't try La Mar (the hotel's restaurant) but I did have breakfast in the room both mornings I was there. The in-room dining was nice, an an aspect of the service that I always especially appreciate is the call instead of knocking on the door to let you know they are outside. 

Service

Staff were overall very warm and friendly throughout the trip. I was regularly addressed by name, and the front desk staff remembered me throughout the trip. The concierge was also helpful in getting us a reservation at Zuma when it was showing full online. 

Mandarin Oriental Miami trip report

Would you like to write a review on the Mandarin Oriental Miami?

No, thank you.
Yes
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2019, 4:07 pm

Also, one of the best happy hours in town, complete with sunset views (well, at certain times of year) of the Brickell skyline!
Old Sep 23, 2019, 9:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The chairs were definitely chosen for aesthetic reasons. Thanks for the nice writeup!
Old Sep 24, 2019, 12:05 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Thanks for the report. When I need to be near downtown Miami, this is hotel is my top pick. Service and location are its key strengths. I'll never forget receiving the most genuine and warmest welcome during my time there. The other luxury options near downtown Miami are less impressive. While the service at the Four Seasons is excellent, the hotel feels sterile and corporate. The two Ritz Carlton hotels, at Key Biscayne and Coconut Grove are pretty much like other Ritz Carlton hotels in America, which is to say, they are underwhelming..
Old Sep 24, 2019, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by francophile
The two Ritz Carlton hotels, at Key Biscayne and Coconut Grove are pretty much like other Ritz Carlton hotels in America, which is to say, they are underwhelming..
I've had great experiences at the Ritz Coconut Grove over a number of weeks spent there for business. The downside is the location - not really super convenient for either business or leisure. MO is certainly more convenient to business in Brickell or downtown.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 4:08 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I've had great experiences at the Ritz Coconut Grove over a number of weeks spent there for business. The downside is the location - not really super convenient for either business or leisure. MO is certainly more convenient to business in Brickell or downtown.
Uh oh, are we about to agree again? What is happening?

I had an imperfect but still very nice stay at the RC Coconut Grove last Feb—my biggest issue being, drumroll please, of course the air con in the suite to which I’d been upgraded. So the service was clearly excellent to pre-upgrade me I the first place, even if the suite HVAC wasn’t good enough for me. The room I downgraded to (which was what I originally booked) had amazing air con and was very comfortable and well appointed (though lacking any real Miami sense of place otherwise). The F&B was fabulous. The location for me was perfect, as my client is within walking distance of the hotel, but I realize that is not going to be commonplace.

The MO to me was a mash up and trying too hard. I didn’t like the location relative to downtown but agree the FS is a bit sterile. Service at the MO was quite mixed IMO, but the F&B was fantastic. For the rates, I will be returning to the RC Coconut Grove.
arlflyer likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 10:48 pm

Programs: Quintessentially Elite, Amex Cent, UA* Lifetime Plat (2mm+), AA CK (6mm+)
MO Miami feels old to me. I can't quite say why. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

I'm a 4S Surfside guy, personally.

However, I can't say much about ANY Miami hotel. They all are underwhelming.
bhrubin and wk989 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas
I can't say much about ANY Miami hotel. They all are underwhelming.
I think that decent hard products abound. The standard of "service" in the city, however, leaves something to be desired.
BenjaminNicholas likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 10:14 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by arlflyer
I think that decent hard products abound. The standard of "service" in the city, however, leaves something to be desired.
We absolutely agree again. The world truly is at an end!

Service in Miami, South Florida, the Caribbean, and perhaps all of the USA Gulf coast leaves a lot to be desired compared with almost anywhere else with comparable wealth in such proximity.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 1:26 pm
Original Poster
Mandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by francophile
Thanks for the report. When I need to be near downtown Miami, this is hotel is my top pick. Service and location are its key strengths. I'll never forget receiving the most genuine and warmest welcome during my time there. The other luxury options near downtown Miami are less impressive. While the service at the Four Seasons is excellent, the hotel feels sterile and corporate. The two Ritz Carlton hotels, at Key Biscayne and Coconut Grove are pretty much like other Ritz Carlton hotels in America, which is to say, they are underwhelming..
I agree- if I were going for something ultra luxe I'd pick Soho House on Miami Beach (or maybe the Faena) over this any day, but for proximity to downtown without the sterility of the W or the FS, this any day.

Last edited by wk989; Oct 6, 2019 at 1:28 pm Reason: Add Quote
Old Oct 6, 2019, 2:45 pm

I will say, on my one stay, the service at FS Surfside was phenomenal.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 7:13 pm

Programs: United global services, BA gold,
Just finished a stay at MO Miami. Had some issues with the room on the first night, but it was very nicely taken care of for night two even though moving is my pet peeve. Had some service issues also but was a crazy busy time. If you get the right room the views are great. It’s a very nice hotel if you want to stay in the city.concierge gets an A for effort but there were some mistakes. La Mar their higher end restaurant was terrific and we have a version in San Francisco where I live but this was better and you can’t beat the view.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 6:37 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Stay Report - 4/17 to 4/18

Location: A huge selling point. You're on the Private Brickell Key Island which means you're very close to Downtown Miami without the problems of being in Downtown Miami. You can even walk back there if you want but otherwise you're on a private island with no public parking. It's easy to get to I-195 or I-95 to get around too if you want.

Hotel: Very nice. Gorgeous looking from the outside and even better on the inside. An amazing lobby with a nice lobby bar which had live music at night. There's also a pool bar with some local beers on tap and of course La Mar their restaurant which is excellent. There's also a spa and a nice faux beach you can lay out at as well. The pool and beach areas as well as the elevators are all key card controlled which you want. Service was phenomenal from everyone we encountered and the prices at the bars aren't bad.

Lobby

Pool

Brickell Beach

Check In: A very friendly agent helped us out and confirmed if we wanted to use the FHR late checkout. We were also told we were upgraded but I'm not sure what the upgrade was except maybe to a higher floor as I'd booked a Deluxe Skyline View King and I think that's what I was in.

Room: Really nice. I was glad to find a huge bathroom with sunken tub and separate shower as well as lots of space. There was a work area which I appreciate, outlets near the bed, a big TV with a lot of channels and a small balcony. Wifi worked well and there were no soundproofing issues.

Dining: I had drinks at the pool bar where service and prices were good and they had some decent beer options, drinks at the MO Lobby Bar where pours were huge and service again great and a really nice breakfast at La Mar where service was again great as was the food.

Pool Bar

Breakfast

Amenity: I got a box of chocolates at check in and then later an edible Zen Garden was brought to my room.

We had one issue, the water pressure in the shower didn't work in the morning but it was fixed right away. Overall a great hotel, well worth the money and one I am excited to come back to some day.
francophile and KatW like this.

Last edited by CMK10; Apr 21, 2021 at 11:04 am Reason: Fixed picture
Old Apr 20, 2021, 4:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
From my impression the picture of the beach is missing. Otherwise not sure if it would be my first choice with many interesting options.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by offerendum
From my impression the picture of the beach is missing. Otherwise not sure if it would be my first choice with many interesting options.
You're right I doubled up on pool pictures, that's now fixed. I'm curious, what would be your first choice?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.