FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Mandarin Oriental Miami trip report
View Single Post
Old Sep 18, 2019, 8:05 pm
wk989

Programs: AA Platinum
Mandarin Oriental Miami trip report

Introduction In short: The Mandarin Oriental is a good hotel for those who want to be close to downtown Miami, and don't want to spend much time on South Beach (the drive is rather long)The hotel is located well, as it's just across the bridge from downtown Miami (and reasonably close to MIA, ~20-25 min drive) but it's on Brickell Key, an artificial island that has the MO and condiminium buildings. This means that the island is much quieter, and you have a nice view of the skyline over the water from one side of the hotel. The pool is nice, and the spa is exactly what you would expect from Mandarin Oriental, which is to say very nice, but not over the top expensive. I'd certainly stay here again, although if I wanted to be on Miami Beach more than once during my trip I'd choose somewhere else. Do note that some Uber drivers will try to drive into the gated area of the island, which will cause issues- the hotel is to the right before the gate, not beyond it. Check In The check-in was overall very nice. Very friendly and warm staff, bags were whisked away directly from the car and all appeared in the correct rooms (still not sure how they did that, as all the bags were matching). We arrived extremely early off our flight (around 9:45 AM), fully expecting to be asked to return later, but to our suprise both of our rooms were ready in less than half an hour. Amex FHR benefits were explained and offered proactively- she actually upgraded both rooms without us even asking, which is rare. Room The rooms were thoughtfully designed and had great views of the skyline, although as she said she upgraded us to the "bay view deluxe rooms" I'm not really sure what she meant, although to be fair I'd take the skyline view at night any day. There was one questionable design element though, which, while fairly minor, I feel that I should address- these chairs. I could find no comfortable way to sit on them, and I don't really understand why they're there instead of a more comfortable armchair or chaise lounge. Dining I didn't try La Mar (the hotel's restaurant) but I did have breakfast in the room both mornings I was there. The in-room dining was nice, an an aspect of the service that I always especially appreciate is the call instead of knocking on the door to let you know they are outside. Service Staff were overall very warm and friendly throughout the trip. I was regularly addressed by name, and the front desk staff remembered me throughout the trip. The concierge was also helpful in getting us a reservation at Zuma when it was showing full online.