Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luxury South Africa (with a twist/kids)

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2019, 8:20 pm
Original Poster

Luxury South Africa (with a twist/kids)

Thinking about a South Africa trip with our 2.5 year old. Any recommendations for luxury hotels that are good for kids? I think I’m an ideal world we’d do approximately 4 days each in Johannesburg general area, Cape Town general area, and Kruger.

Weve come to really enjoy: (1) ‘urban resorts’ - places that are close enough to the city that allow you to easily go to the city center, but that also are a little bit removed from the center and have a pool and resort feel; (2) Aman-like pavilions that allow space for indoor and or outdoor dining in your room (it’s SO much easier to not have to sit through meals with our son in a restaurant); (3) places with a beautiful natural setting (willing to stay outside the city for this)

Anything that fits the bill above? Would like to stay at an average price for the whole trip of ~$800 usd/ night, but open to spending less in certain places and more in others.

Thought about doing the four seasons a little outside of Johannesburg (they’ve always treated our soon very well) but some of the reviews suggest it’s dated. Mount Nelson has always held appeal in Cape Town but don’t think rooms have a ton of space there; same story for Mont Rochelle. Looking for recommendations for Kruger lodges that could accommodate a 2.5 year old as well (maybe we’re crazy and should put off this trip until he’s older!). Bushman Kloof looked right up our alley but I think they may have a no kids policy.

Thank you!
Old May 13, 2019, 3:31 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
I can’t speak to accomodations in Joburg or Cape Town, but for a safari with children the following can’t be beat. Both are expensive however. But they’re also malaria free and easily accessible from Joburg. Perhaps you could spend less on your city hotels and spend more on one of these.

Trip Report: Tswalu (Kalahari Desert) with Our Son

Trip Report: Morukuru (Madikwe Game Reserve) with Our Son

Last edited by Ericka; May 13, 2019 at 9:10 am
Old May 13, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: CX DM
Agree with Erika - we did The Saxon/Morukuru/Tswalu with our then-almost-three-year-old son and it was wonderful (I probably wrote something about it at the time if you search)
Old May 13, 2019, 10:33 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
Not sure what the rate are at the camps recommended but you won't get anything approaching the luxury status in Kruger for $800 a night. Think closer to $4000 per night.

I ages Saxon is the best choice in Johannesburg but the Four Season is cheaper.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:00 am

FYI...Just looked it up and Kruger has malaria. It would be difficult to know what to do with a small child in that situation.
Old May 13, 2019, 1:56 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
We've thought about an Africa trip with our 3 and 5 year olds but everyone's told us that we are crazy.

Not sure a kid will have the same stamina and interest as the adults on a long game drive, especially one that wasn't particularly fruitful. Perhaps a private vehicle would be necessary.

My biggest concern would be good childcare during downtime so we can relax.Are there any Safari's w kids clubs?
Braniff likes this.
Old May 13, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by damaxer91
We've thought about an Africa trip with our 3 and 5 year olds but everyone's told us that we are crazy.

Not sure a kid will have the same stamina and interest as the adults on a long game drive, especially one that wasn't particularly fruitful. Perhaps a private vehicle would be necessary.

My biggest concern would be good childcare during downtime so we can relax.Are there any Safari's w kids clubs?
No kids clubs, but definite child care and fun activities. Read my trip reports! Our son was 6 at the time. Private vehicles...whenever...wherever. Both lodges give you complete control which is wonderful for the kid’s schedules.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:31 am

We've just got back from a week in South Africa with our 2.3 year old so thought I would add some ideas. We've visited Cape Town / Jo-burg before so this time opted to visit Kwa-Zulu Natal taking advantage of the new direct flights from London. We wanted to stay in the Malaria free areas which ruled out some of the safari options south of the Kruger in KZN so stayed at Karkloof Safari Villas (safari in the Midlands), Montusi Mountain Lodge (Drakensberg) and Oyster Box (Durban). Some brief thoughts on each below.

Karkloof is about 1.5 hours from central Durban and is set on a private game reserve. It is "soft" safari - no big cats/elephants but the density of game is very high and the sightings of white rhino, giraffe, buffalo etc were great & the drives short (about 1.5 - 2 hours including a stop for drinks / snacks). It isn't true luxury (Aman style) but the rooms were large and well appointed and the food reasonably good. There is a big spa onsite but sadly the indoor pool is restricted to adults. Despite this, it was a great option with our little one who was entranced by the Yala, warthog and zebra that graized around our villa.

There aren't really any truly luxury options that take children in the Drakensberg but Montusi was a lovely option - it sells itself as a 4 star property and misses some of the luxury touches but the food was great and the service incredibly friendly and they couldn't do more for us. Our toddler loved the hiking in the Drakensberg - lots of interest for a little person and we enjoyed our time.

We finished our trip at Oyster Box in Durban - a hotel that really merits the luxury tag. It is part of the Red Carnation Group (who own Bushman's Kloof and Ashford Castle) and is a urban resort hotel on the beach just outside central Durban. The setting is spectacular, the food and service amazing and the hard product is good. The pools were heated and they are very well set up for children with all sorts of extra treats for the little one including balloons, goody bags, drinks, ice creams etc at every turn,.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Third the malaria comments. While rare and unlikely, at your child’s age the outcome could be very poor.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 5:27 am

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Accor Plat
We did Kwandwe Private Game Reserve,Port Elizabeth,South Africa outside of the main malaria zone but still in South Africa to have a bit of a luxury and Safari experience with our little kids 2 summers ago and really enjoyed it.
Old May 14, 2019, 7:02 am
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

We've been to several countries in Africa on a bunch of safaris with a young child and have taken the pills/not taken them. We've also been all over South America, and into the Amazon, and Asia where there's malaria. Malaria/taking malaria pills/mosquito spray would be concern number 20 for me. Scratch that, priority 53. Never saw a mosquito. I'd be more concerned about civil unrest, crime, hustlers, being by a river full of hippos, bush dinners with hyaenas walking around, the stomach flu, food poisoning, passports getting stolen, car breaking down on the safari, massive delays for plane flights, a family member dying while you're away, having horrible jet lag, breaking a bone, getting in an argument with the spouse, etc.

Serian in Kenya/Tanzania is great because of private vehicles. Chitwa Chitwa was very happy to see children.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:17 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by damaxer91
https://www.andbeyond.com/advice/afr...ild-programme/

https://www.fourseasons.com/serenget...nities/family/
Old May 14, 2019, 5:54 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Adventures by Disney?
Old May 14, 2019, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much for the replies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.