Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fiji for solo travel

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2019, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Fiji for solo travel

This Fall, I'll have a few days in Fiji enroute to Australia and I'd be interested in hearing any recommendations for Fiji luxury options (or as close as possible to it) better suited for solo travel as opposed to a Honeymoon. I have reviewed past threads and it seems like Laucala is the clear number 1. Unfortunately while my budget is pretty flexible, a minimum 3 night stay at Laucala (starting at 18K) is out of my range).

As I'm doing my research, it looks like a lot of the higher end options are more honeymoon / romantic couples trip oriented, and then there are a lot of chains that are a tier or two below luxury. But if anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate hearing it.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 5:47 am

Both the main islands of Vanua Levu and Viti Levu are staggeringly beautiful with a rich Melanesian culture as well as the influx of Indian culture which in the past has led to political tensions. Because of its proximity to Australia and NZ, there are many resort options on these two large islands, though perhaps nothing in the serious luxury class which really only exists on the surrounding private islands. With only three days I'd forget about these island resorts and just rent a car and drive around. Suva has the newly renovated Grand Pacific Hotel where Prince Harry and Meghan stayed recently.

Personally I'd feel a bit self-conscious as a solo visitor to the island honeymoon ghettos.
Bull Moose likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:35 am
Community Director Emerita

We spent 4 nights in Fiji in December, enroute to Tasmania. I had never been and wanted to get a sense of Fiji. The best way to do that in my opinion is to rent a car. I spent a fair bit of time considering a drive around the entire island. But I couldn't find a decent hotel at the north, let alone a luxe one. We ended up driving to Suva on the day we arrived at 6am, an excellent decision. It was roughly a 3 hour drive along the south coastline and let us see the towns and scenery enroute. We were surprised at the lack of coffee shops but did find a very pleasant one to break the trip. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Suva, adjacent to the Grand Pacific. No, it's not luxe, but it was surprisingly comfortable with a wonderful large outdoor lounge area before the swimming pool and the water. We ate at local restaurants, Indian and other, and went to the national museum. And then we drove back, staying at the beautiful new Marriott Momi Bay. It's worth a stop at the colorful Sri SIva Subrahmaniya Swami Temple, largest in the Southern Hemisphere, as you drive into Nadi. I'm happy with how we spent our time. It was a good visit.
Bull Moose and Pausanias like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 11:52 am

Check out the sites used by backpackers, etc. LPs Thorntree would be good.
Bull Moose likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2019, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We spent 4 nights in Fiji in December, enroute to Tasmania. I had never been and wanted to get a sense of Fiji. The best way to do that in my opinion is to rent a car. I spent a fair bit of time considering a drive around the entire island. But I couldn't find a decent hotel at the north, let alone a luxe one. We ended up driving to Suva on the day we arrived at 6am, an excellent decision. It was roughly a 3 hour drive along the south coastline and let us see the towns and scenery enroute. We were surprised at the lack of coffee shops but did find a very pleasant one to break the trip. We stayed at the Holiday Inn in Suva, adjacent to the Grand Pacific. No, it's not luxe, but it was surprisingly comfortable with a wonderful large outdoor lounge area before the swimming pool and the water. We ate at local restaurants, Indian and other, and went to the national museum. And then we drove back, staying at the beautiful new Marriott Momi Bay. It's worth a stop at the colorful Sri SIva Subrahmaniya Swami Temple, largest in the Southern Hemisphere, as you drive into Nadi. I'm happy with how we spent our time. It was a good visit.
We hired a taxi for the day one time and told him just to drive us anywhere. We ended up driving past a stadium with a Rugby game being planed and it was one of the World Cup games or qualifiers (I can't remember now) so we said let's go in. We paid for him for the day, the grand sum of about $10 for the seat and something to eat. We had an absolutely wonderful day. He looked after us magnificently and my husband loved watching the Rugby with him.
Bull Moose likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.