Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Italy Trip in march

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:49 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Early March is a bit too early for the Tuscan countryside. Many hotels won’t open before late March or even Easter, same goes for restaurants. It’s beautiful though right now - warm days with up to 18°C (65 F) and blue skies, and the hills are just beginning to turn green.

In Rome I agree with the others who suggested the Eden. There is also a new Rocco Forte (re)opening nearby in March: Hotel De La Ville. Eager to check that one out soon.

In Florence, FS is great but I prefer the Lungarno - recently completely renovated and the Arno/Ponte Vecchio/Duomo views are just amazing.

Oh yeah, and our little place Lupaia is just halfway between Rome and Florence. Thanks to those who mentioned it here. Re-opening on March 29
BLV, FlyerEC and BESVISOR like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
A train from Florence to Venice is definitely the way to go. You can't take a car into Venice anyway...
Except then you’d miss ER and all of the incredible food there.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by aa213bb

Indeed! But it´s a Question of faith. Some will mostly prefer trains and I´m frequently told "you can´t drive in Paris", "you shouldn´t drive in Berlin" and so on. Why?????? You are much more flexible with a car and you are able to do side trips. In a train it´s hard to store laguage ao I avoid if possible. It doesn´t mean I always travel by car if possible but as far as I can judge returning a car and then taking a car to Venice (if not several days between) doesn´t sound preferable for ,me.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:48 am
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by aa213bb

What is this?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 8:59 am

Train is very easy in Italy for travel between cities and combined with Uber and the mytaxi app works well. There is also a very good intercity bus system. For countryside it doesn't work as well but one idea is to pick up a car for a day or two in one of the main cities on your itinerary I would also consider some of the smaller cities, Bologna, Verona, etc. as they tend to be less overrun, more relaxing and special in their own right.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 1:56 pm

We just came back from a week in Val d'Orcia, where we stayed at the Adler Thermae and Grand Hotel Continental in Siena. The Adler Thermae is a great hotel with a large hot thermal pool and great wellness areas. Early spring is a good time to explore towns like Pienca, Montalcino or Montepulciano. The towns are not crowded and the nature is light green. We stayed at Fonteverde two years ago, but Adler is more interesting and offers guided e-bike tours daily, which is great fun.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is this?
Emilia-Romagna
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 10:13 pm
Was sydakllon

Programs: Virtuoso, Rosewood Elite, FSPP, Bellini, Dorchester, MO Fan Club, Oetker Pearl, etc.
Driving is very easy - have done Rome-Tuscany and reverse many times. And I wouldn’t worry about leaving stuff in your car - we do it all the time when we’re stopping at towns to look around / have lunch / overnight. Never, ever, have had an issue and that’s renting a nicer car (usually C or E Merc).

Train Florence-Venice though. Two nights is okay. We did three and started retracing our steps (fine because we enjoyed Venice, but 4 nights might have tipped me over the edge).

3 nights min Rome. Same for Florence. You could do one or two in Tuscany and see the countryside on your way to the other centres. You just wouldn’t get deep into it. I’d probably suggest Pitigliano, Montepulciano (Val d’Orcia area) on way from Rome to Siena, stay the night in Siena, then drive to Florence via Volterra and San Gimignano. Touristy yes, but classic, and in March shouldn’t be too overrun.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is this?
I know it was already answered, but yes, Emilia Romagna. Between Modena/Parma/Bologna - and all of the quaint towns thereabouts - you’ve got world class dining, Franciacorta, Balsamic, Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus motorsports galore (Lamborghini - factory tour is wonderful - Ferrari, Maserati, Ducati, etc).

Some PR, Culatello, Balsamic and Tortellini en Brodo should be on every traveler’s list.

But I digress ...
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:37 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, Belmond BC, Dorchester DC, Hyatt Prive, MO Fan Club, Peninsula, Rosewood
Your itinerary sounds good for a general overview of Italy. Trains are very easy to navigate between Rome and Florence and then onward to Venice. You wont have any trouble with availability due to the time of year. The railway lines are high speed which is an advantage. Maybe you might want to stop at Pisa for a few hours when travelling between Rome and Florence, luggage can be stored at Pisa railway station.

Best hotel, as you say is Hotel Eden in Rome. I would recommend to book this through Dorchester Diamond Club travel agent as then you are guaranteed a room upgrade, breakfast and room credits etc. It is also only a 15 minute walk to the Rome Railway station which would take you on to Florence.

Best Tuscan hotel is the Rosewood Castiglion, which I see members above have said as well. The good thing about going to this hotel in March is that the pool is heated so usable. Spectacular views from all parts of the property. You can hire a car to get here (2hr drive) and then use that car to explore the local area, lots of wineries and the like. You could also do this through a Rosewood Elite agent to get a possible upgrade. Try to do two nights here if possible.

Florence has a number of hotels - your idea of Four Seasons and St Regis is sensible. The Belmond is good as well but not as central.

Venice has many hotels. I do not have any feedback on the The Gritti Palace but I had a client who is a designer recently stay at the Aman and he loved it - rating the interiors and views very highly. Enjoy!
Old Mar 6, 2019, 4:39 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by newfrequent
- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?
In Rome we loved the St Regis--especially after its recent renovation, its public spaces are unquestionably the nicest in town. The Eden is nice, too, just a 15 min walk away. The restaurant at the Eden was fabulous, too. We actually thought the St Regis was well located and not too far from any of the major sites.

In Tuscany, I wouldn't advise the Rosewood--there's a MacMyDay review out there somewhere, but I know just too many people who found it overpriced and underdelivering in its promise. We had a fantastic stay at La Bandita Townhouse in Pienza, and there are many other lovely boutique properties in/around Montalcino, Montepulciano, etc. Locanda dell'Amoroso was a place we loved in a previous Tuscan country stay, in a small town, Sinaluga, between Siena and Cortona.

In Florence, we totally loved the St Regis more than the FS. The FS is a better option only if you must have a pool, but we decidedly preferred the St Regis. There are many in this forum who poo-pah all things not Four Seasons or Aman, so I'm not sure as many have experience with the St Regis. I wouldn't think twice and would stay again at the St Regis in a heartbeat. The St Regis is one of our all time favorites in the world.

In Venice, we totally loved the Gritti. We loved it even more than the Aman Venice. The Riva bar and Riva experience, as well as its location and style, make the Gritti the perfect hotel in the city. The Gritti is another of our all time favorites in the world.

We drove a lot in Italy, but the trains make it very easy to get around between the cities. (We trained from Venice to Milan.) In Tuscany, it's not hard to hire a car and driver to take you around. We did a lot of that and for our transfer between La Bandita in Pienza and the St Regis in Florence.
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:37 pm
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by dylanc
Best Tuscan hotel is the Rosewood Castiglion, which I see members above have said as well. The good thing about going to this hotel in March is that the pool is heated so usable.
Since the hotel is closed until April I'd disagree on how usable or even heated the pool would be.
No spa, no restaurant, no front desk, no staff. No hotel services (except Golf club)
Only the multi-bedroom villas are open.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 7:50 pm
BLV

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
I prefer the Lungarno - recently completely renovated and the Arno/Ponte Vecchio/Duomo views are just amazing.

+1

Old Mar 6, 2019, 8:58 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
In Florence, FS is great but I prefer the Lungarno - recently completely renovated and the Arno/Ponte Vecchio/Duomo views are just amazing.
The Lungarno was very nice. The 1* restaurant Borgo San Jacopo was great. But we liked the decor of the restaurant better than the hotel as a whole. Different strokes for different folks.
Oh yeah, and our little place Lupaia is just halfway between Rome and Florence. Thanks to those who mentioned it here. Re-opening on March 29
We still are disappointed that it didn’t work out for us to meet and see Lupaia! I hope our paths may cross again soon!
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:29 pm
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by bhrubin
We still are disappointed that it didn’t work out for us to meet and see Lupaia! I hope our paths may cross again soon!

Same here! Hope to get an opportunity to meet in person soon!
bhrubin likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.