FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Luxury Hotels and Travel (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel-220/)
-   -   Italy Trip in march (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1958371-italy-trip-march.html)

newfrequent Feb 27, 2019 3:25 am

Italy Trip in march

Hi,

My partner had booked an 2 week anniversary trip to Sydney, Hamilton Island (Qualia even after I made him read MacMyDays review) and then Melbourne. We had to cancel this due him getting a bit ill so the long haul flights wouldn't work anymore. However he really needs the break, we're looking to head to Italy on Friday and I thought I'd see if the ever knowledgeable luxury forum had some recommendations .

- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?

Many thanks!

SilverSpoon Feb 27, 2019 3:59 am

I have stayed in Eden, FS Florence and Gritti Palace, all are spectacular. I also recommend Il Salviatino in Florence which is out of the city and more rustic villa style - very relaxing.

Also look at Hotel de Russie for Rome - the gardens and courtyard are gorgeous. I have very fond memories of breakfast in that courtyard. I've stayed at both but prefer Eden.

I've never stayed in the Tuscany country side but I'm interested in Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco for the future.

I've never driven or got the train between them though.

offerendum Feb 27, 2019 4:02 am

Originally Posted by newfrequent (Post 30826653)
Hi,

My partner had booked an 2 week anniversary trip to Sydney, Hamilton Island (Qualia even after I made him read MacMyDays review) and then Melbourne. We had to cancel this due him getting a bit ill so the long haul flights wouldn't work anymore. However he really needs the break, we're looking to head to Italy on Friday and I thought I'd see if the ever knowledgeable luxury forum had some recommendations .

- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?

Many thanks!

I will do a relatively similar trip end of March/ April. In Rome I booked the Eden. 3 nights is not much. Eden runs a 4 for 3 promotion so perhaps this could be an option. In Florence I will stay at St. Regis this time, stayed at the FS in the past. While location of the StR is more central the FS is a very fine hotel. If walking is not a problem and itīs the first time I would tend to FS or if you from pictures both like equal choose by price. At Venice I booked Ca Sagredo and Aman. 2 nights Venice seems very short to me.

FlyingDoctorwu Feb 27, 2019 6:01 am

We stayed at Castillo di Casole in Tuscany. It was a fine stay though it’s a bit disneyfied...

check out Lupaia. I think they just finished a renovation and it looks great.

Fdw

ABG Feb 27, 2019 8:40 am

Rosewood's rooms in Tuscany wont't be open in March... only the multi-bedroom villas

FlyerEC Feb 27, 2019 8:58 am

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu (Post 30826966)
We stayed at Castillo di Casole in Tuscany. It was a fine stay though it’s a bit disneyfied...

check out Lupaia. I think they just finished a renovation and it looks great.

Fdw

Perhaps stay at Lupaia , owned and managed by an FTer ;)
Another renovation to a part of it should be completed soon. Best reach out to them .

Think trains between Florence and Venice with luggage are quite the norm - but that is not what we plan on in September ..

obscure2k Feb 27, 2019 9:16 am

Also suggest Taking a look at the FT Italy Forum.

DavidO Feb 27, 2019 12:42 pm

A train from Florence to Venice is definitely the way to go. You can't take a car into Venice anyway...

In Florence, the Four Seasons is a true WOW. St. Regis is more central but it didn't excite me.

dmjaffe Feb 27, 2019 1:19 pm

12 years ago (low season too)-- so grain of salt:

St. Regis in Rome. Very nice hotel. Huge room, but seemed a bit far from major attractions.
St. Regis Florence. Stayed when it was still the Grand Hotel. Loved it. Had a fresco on the wall and view of the Arno. Location was also great.
Gritti Palace: After a general strike forced us off the train and in to rental car from Florence to Venice, the Grand Hotel called the Gritti Palace to let them know about the issue. Gritti Palace couldn't modify our reservation, but they upgraded us to a great room directly overlooking the Grand Canal. Venice is small, and so everything was convenient to the hotel. A great experience.

Valveking Feb 27, 2019 5:10 pm

Castello di Casole is wonderful and I still have dreams about the Four Seasons Florence.

GetSetJetSet Feb 27, 2019 6:37 pm

prefer the Hassler to the Hotel de Russie in Rome but don't really like any of the options.

offerendum Feb 28, 2019 5:55 am

Originally Posted by DavidO (Post 30828390)
A train from Florence to Venice is definitely the way to go. You can't take a car into Venice anyway...

You canīt drive directly to the hotel but the parking garages are quite near to each other. If you travel to another destination itīs cheaper to hold the car and pay for the garage than changing cars. Also you can leave some non-necessary laguage in the car so you mustnīt take a few pieces of laguage with you on the water taxi. Even if Venice is your final destination I would consider to return the car at Piazzale Roma if you have a car anyway. Mostly should be more convenient and even cheaper.

BESVISOR Feb 28, 2019 6:02 am

Would also highly suggest FS in Florence, Hotel Eden in Rome, and Aman in Venice.

Just booked a week for ourselves in Florence and Rome at Four Seasons and Hotel Eden :)

ridefar Feb 28, 2019 6:32 am

Originally Posted by offerendum (Post 30830937)
You canīt drive directly to the hotel but the parking garages are quite near to each other. If you travel to another destination itīs cheaper to hold the car and pay for the garage than changing cars. Also you can leave some non-necessary laguage in the car so you mustnīt take a few pieces of laguage with you on the water taxi. Even if Venice is your final destination I would consider to return the car at Piazzale Roma if you have a car anyway. Mostly should be more convenient and even cheaper.

My Italian friends would be aghast at the idea of leaving valuables in a parked car in Italy. The likelihood of theft is high. Other than that I agree — the parking garages are so convenient I wouldn’t hesitate to drive to Venice.

offerendum Feb 28, 2019 6:38 am

Originally Posted by ridefar (Post 30831063)

My Italian friends would be aghast at the idea of leaving valuables in a parked car in Italy. The likelihood of theft is high. Other than that I agree — the parking garages are so convenient I wouldn’t hesitate to drive to Venice.

In some cases you donīt have an Option (for excample on the way from one hotel to the other) and I donīt think itīs that dangerous to let things in a closed trunk in a garded garage. Nevertheless I wouldnīt left my jewels there but donīt have problems with my laundry or not needes clothes.