Italy Trip in march

Old Feb 27, 19, 3:25 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 46
Italy Trip in march

Hi,

My partner had booked an 2 week anniversary trip to Sydney, Hamilton Island (Qualia even after I made him read MacMyDays review) and then Melbourne. We had to cancel this due him getting a bit ill so the long haul flights wouldn't work anymore. However he really needs the break, we're looking to head to Italy on Friday and I thought I'd see if the ever knowledgeable luxury forum had some recommendations .

- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?

Many thanks!
newfrequent is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 3:59 am
  #2  
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: London
Programs: Avios
Posts: 149
I have stayed in Eden, FS Florence and Gritti Palace, all are spectacular. I also recommend Il Salviatino in Florence which is out of the city and more rustic villa style - very relaxing.

Also look at Hotel de Russie for Rome - the gardens and courtyard are gorgeous. I have very fond memories of breakfast in that courtyard. I've stayed at both but prefer Eden.

I've never stayed in the Tuscany country side but I'm interested in Rosewood Castiglion del Bosco for the future.

I've never driven or got the train between them though.
SilverSpoon is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 4:02 am
  #3  
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,760
Originally Posted by newfrequent View Post
Hi,

My partner had booked an 2 week anniversary trip to Sydney, Hamilton Island (Qualia even after I made him read MacMyDays review) and then Melbourne. We had to cancel this due him getting a bit ill so the long haul flights wouldn't work anymore. However he really needs the break, we're looking to head to Italy on Friday and I thought I'd see if the ever knowledgeable luxury forum had some recommendations .

- Rome for 3 nights (currently interested in the Hotel Eden)
- Driving to the Tuscan countryside hotel for 1 or 2 nights (I currently have no ideas about this)
- Driving to Florence for 3 nights (either the FS or St Regis)
- Possibly Venice for 2/3 nights (currently interested in the Gritti Palace)

I know we'd need to drive from Rome to the tuscan countryside but are the trains between Florence and Venice plausible with 1 piece of large luggage each in exec class?

Many thanks!
I will do a relatively similar trip end of March/ April. In Rome I booked the Eden. 3 nights is not much. Eden runs a 4 for 3 promotion so perhaps this could be an option. In Florence I will stay at St. Regis this time, stayed at the FS in the past. While location of the StR is more central the FS is a very fine hotel. If walking is not a problem and itīs the first time I would tend to FS or if you from pictures both like equal choose by price. At Venice I booked Ca Sagredo and Aman. 2 nights Venice seems very short to me.
offerendum is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 6:01 am
  #4  
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore MD
Posts: 3,378
We stayed at Castillo di Casole in Tuscany. It was a fine stay though it’s a bit disneyfied...

check out Lupaia. I think they just finished a renovation and it looks great.

Fdw
livefromtuscany likes this.
FlyingDoctorwu is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 8:40 am
  #5  
ABG
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Canada
Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Posts: 4,143
Rosewood's rooms in Tuscany wont't be open in March... only the multi-bedroom villas
ABG is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 8:58 am
  #6  
Aman 10+ BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Enroute to ? & likely flying in ' A ':)
Programs: TPPS, UA, EK ...; Marriott BONVOY , HH, GP, GC..
Posts: 2,760
Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu View Post
We stayed at Castillo di Casole in Tuscany. It was a fine stay though it’s a bit disneyfied...

check out Lupaia. I think they just finished a renovation and it looks great.

Fdw
Perhaps stay at Lupaia , owned and managed by an FTer
Another renovation to a part of it should be completed soon. Best reach out to them .

Think trains between Florence and Venice with luggage are quite the norm - but that is not what we plan on in September ..
livefromtuscany likes this.
FlyerEC is online now  
Old Feb 27, 19, 9:16 am
  #7  
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 25,334
Also suggest Taking a look at the FT Italy Forum.
obscure2k is online now  
Old Feb 27, 19, 12:42 pm
  #8  
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Berkeley, CA
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Posts: 1,716
A train from Florence to Venice is definitely the way to go. You can't take a car into Venice anyway...

In Florence, the Four Seasons is a true WOW. St. Regis is more central but it didn't excite me.
DavidO is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 1:19 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: IAD
Programs: Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 104
12 years ago (low season too)-- so grain of salt:

St. Regis in Rome. Very nice hotel. Huge room, but seemed a bit far from major attractions.
St. Regis Florence. Stayed when it was still the Grand Hotel. Loved it. Had a fresco on the wall and view of the Arno. Location was also great.
Gritti Palace: After a general strike forced us off the train and in to rental car from Florence to Venice, the Grand Hotel called the Gritti Palace to let them know about the issue. Gritti Palace couldn't modify our reservation, but they upgraded us to a great room directly overlooking the Grand Canal. Venice is small, and so everything was convenient to the hotel. A great experience.
dmjaffe is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 5:10 pm
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mem
Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Posts: 786
Castello di Casole is wonderful and I still have dreams about the Four Seasons Florence.
Valveking is offline  
Old Feb 27, 19, 6:37 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: En Route
Programs: Many
Posts: 5,467
prefer the Hassler to the Hotel de Russie in Rome but don't really like any of the options.
GetSetJetSet is offline  
Old Feb 28, 19, 5:55 am
  #12  
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,760
Originally Posted by DavidO View Post
A train from Florence to Venice is definitely the way to go. You can't take a car into Venice anyway...
You canīt drive directly to the hotel but the parking garages are quite near to each other. If you travel to another destination itīs cheaper to hold the car and pay for the garage than changing cars. Also you can leave some non-necessary laguage in the car so you mustnīt take a few pieces of laguage with you on the water taxi. Even if Venice is your final destination I would consider to return the car at Piazzale Roma if you have a car anyway. Mostly should be more convenient and even cheaper.
offerendum is offline  
Old Feb 28, 19, 6:02 am
  #13  
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Wi-Fi
Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Rosewood Elite, RC STARS, Belmond Bellini, Hyatt Prive, Shangri-La, SPG LP, etc...
Posts: 1,073
Would also highly suggest FS in Florence, Hotel Eden in Rome, and Aman in Venice.

Just booked a week for ourselves in Florence and Rome at Four Seasons and Hotel Eden
BESVISOR is offline  
Old Feb 28, 19, 6:32 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: YYC
Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
Posts: 3,064
Originally Posted by offerendum View Post
You canīt drive directly to the hotel but the parking garages are quite near to each other. If you travel to another destination itīs cheaper to hold the car and pay for the garage than changing cars. Also you can leave some non-necessary laguage in the car so you mustnīt take a few pieces of laguage with you on the water taxi. Even if Venice is your final destination I would consider to return the car at Piazzale Roma if you have a car anyway. Mostly should be more convenient and even cheaper.
My Italian friends would be aghast at the idea of leaving valuables in a parked car in Italy. The likelihood of theft is high. Other than that I agree — the parking garages are so convenient I wouldn’t hesitate to drive to Venice.
ridefar is offline  
Old Feb 28, 19, 6:38 am
  #15  
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Germany
Programs: Some
Posts: 7,760
Originally Posted by ridefar View Post


My Italian friends would be aghast at the idea of leaving valuables in a parked car in Italy. The likelihood of theft is high. Other than that I agree — the parking garages are so convenient I wouldn’t hesitate to drive to Venice.
In some cases you donīt have an Option (for excample on the way from one hotel to the other) and I donīt think itīs that dangerous to let things in a closed trunk in a garded garage. Nevertheless I wouldnīt left my jewels there but donīt have problems with my laundry or not needes clothes.
offerendum is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread