Search

Recommendations Yucatan, Mexico: Merida and Tulum

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
We will fly in and out of Merida and will need to overnight there at least at the start of the trip. What is the best hotel in Merida these days?
I think your trip will be fab! I considered mixing in one or two of those Haciendas with my Chable Yucatan stay, but I ended up preferring one longer stay rather than moving around for my 50th bday trip.

My research into Merida had led me to think the Diplomat Boutique Hotel might be the best hotel in Merida...but that the Rosas y Xocolate Boutique Hotel, a member of Design Hotels, also might be a very worthy consideration from the Marriott elite perspective. I also understand that the Rosas y Xocolate restaurant is among the very best—if not the best—in town. I’m certainly planning to have a lunch or dinner there while staying at the nearby Chable property.
Old May 2, 2019, 11:33 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
I lived in Merida for two months last year and have traveled extensively in the area over many years. My favorite hotel in Merida is Casa Lecanda. I also like Rosas y Xocolate for anyone wanting a more traditional full-service US hotel experience.
SanDiego1K and bhrubin like this.
Old May 6, 2019, 7:34 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

I'm doing some research for my own trip to Mexico next year, and found this near Tulum: Mukan Resort Tulum [a luxury hotel in the Sian Ka'an biosphere, Mexico]

Only 9 keys, appears to be from folks behind Chable resorts and Esencia.

It seems very isolated which could be good or bad depending on what you're looking for; early reviews seem positive, and I've thrown it into the mix for my own consideration. My trip isn't until February 2020, so hoping to see more feedback before then.

Happy early 50th, @bhrubin!
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:07 am
Original Poster
Aman Contributor Badge

One year later, and we have booked this trip for two weeks around Easter this year. We decided to stay in two different hacienda in Yucatan (hacienda Xcanatum and hacienda Sacnicte) before heading for the beach in Tulum staying in two different hotels (La Valise and Nomade). I appreciate all the input you gave so thank you for that.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:35 pm

Can anyone (bhrubin?) suggest a tour operator / private guide in that area that might make sense? We are headed down to Mayakoba for spring break (2 adults + 2 teenagers) this year and we are interested in Chichen Itza and to see and swim in some cenotes. I can work through the hotel of course and will do so; was hoping for a recommendation or two outside of the hotel-based options. Bonus points for airport transfers as well. I had originally booked a car but am now re-thinking that. Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by eamus
Can anyone (bhrubin?) suggest a tour operator / private guide in that area that might make sense? We are headed down to Mayakoba for spring break (2 adults + 2 teenagers) this year and we are interested in Chichen Itza and to see and swim in some cenotes. I can work through the hotel of course and will do so; was hoping for a recommendation or two outside of the hotel-based options. Bonus points for airport transfers as well. I had originally booked a car but am now re-thinking that. Many thanks in advance.
You might consider skipping overrun Chichen Itza and instead combining Tulum/Coba or Valladolid/Ek Balam. Both have good cenotes nearby. I think both would be much more appealing to teens.
amaroo likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by erik123
You might consider skipping overrun Chichen Itza and instead combining Tulum/Coba or Valladolid/Ek Balam. Both have good cenotes nearby. I think both would be much more appealing to teens.
Oh I would disagree. Chichen Itza is busy for a reason. It is an iconic "property" . And while Tulum is certainly interesting, it is not at all on the same level. If you can manage it, take a tour bus to arrive at Chichen Itza at dawn to watch a very impressive sunrise from on top. All the tour operators offer this. And it is much less crowded at that hour. And personally I much prefer to rent a car and drive myself. Driving in the Yucatan on the toll roads is no different than driving in the US. It is when you move off the toll roads where it gets interesting, both good and bad.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
Oh I would disagree. Chichen Itza is busy for a reason. It is an iconic "property" . And while Tulum is certainly interesting, it is not at all on the same level. If you can manage it, take a tour bus to arrive at Chichen Itza at dawn to watch a very impressive sunrise from on top. All the tour operators offer this. And it is much less crowded at that hour. And personally I much prefer to rent a car and drive myself. Driving in the Yucatan on the toll roads is no different than driving in the US. It is when you move off the toll roads where it gets interesting, both good and bad.
That's good advice for CI. And it is an impressive site. I went long enough ago when you could still climb it. Maybe consider spending the night so you can visit early and/or late afternoon (+ sound and light) when the crowds get better. And it would give you time to combine Ek balam with CI. That said, I much preferred Coba, Ek Balam and Uxmal. The first two you can still climb the pyramids. Uxmal can't be done in a day but is extremely impressive with much thinner crowds. Renting a car is ideal as there are good guides on site.Also consider taking the ado bus which leaves from PDC.

If staying longer consider switching Mayakoba for a Yucatan trip for a few days. The Marriott Haciendas are great and Merida also fantastic. About 4 nights will let you hit all the major sites.
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by erik123
That's good advice for CI. And it is an impressive site. I went long enough ago when you could still climb it.
Wait, you can't climb up the steps anymore? That would change everything for me. I guess the rest of the grounds are still impressive, but...
Old Jan 9, 2020, 8:33 am

Thank you all, that is most helpful. I will look into options - my teenagers generally give me one chit per trip to get them up absurdly early (which, if you have teenagers, you know means any time before about 10am). They are sweet kids and I do want to show them more than just the resort environs, so this is really helpful.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 6:42 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Lifetime Gold
Anyone have any updated choices in the Tulum area? I'm looking to go over President's day weekend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.