Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Recent Experience at Sorrel River Resort (Moab UT)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue

Hello all,

My multi-generational family (parents, me & mrs and the kids [5 & 7]) are planning a trip to Arches National Park and are homing in on potentially staying at the Sorrel River Resort & Spa in Moab. And I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with the hotel, especially f&b and the excursions. We are thinking of a family suite, and would welcome thoughts on whether that would be too cramped.

Finally, I was wondering if this property participates in Virtuouso or any such program and if anyone knows of an agent who could reserve this property with some typical extras such as breakfast, welcome amenity etc.

Many thanks!
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Staying in Moab now at the Hyatt, and I saw this resort mentioned in the local restaurant guide.

has anyone stayed here? It looks amazing.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Pocatello
Staying in Moab now at the Hyatt, and I saw this resort mentioned in the local restaurant guide.

has anyone stayed here? It looks amazing.
We stayed at Sorrel River a few months ago in between stays at The Lodge at Blue Sky in Park City and Amangani. I'm a little surprised to hear it mentioned because (outside of room rates) I wouldn't consider it a luxury property at all. The landscape around the resort is incredibly beautiful and it's very nice to be away from Moab but the grounds and rooms are pretty average. We basically used it as a place to sleep while doing lots of hiking in Arches and Canyonlands so can't comment on the activities they offered. We had dinner one night which was fine but a far cry from what was offered at both of the other properties we stayed during the trip. The options around Moab are pretty slim and I'm sure that is how they manage to charge what they do.
offerendum likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:47 am
Community Director Emerita

Thanks, britepepper, that's very helpful. Sounds as though the affordable chain properties in Moab are the better choice.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by britepepper
We stayed at Sorrel River a few months ago in between stays at The Lodge at Blue Sky in Park City and Amangani. I'm a little surprised to hear it mentioned because (outside of room rates) I wouldn't consider it a luxury property at all. The landscape around the resort is incredibly beautiful and it's very nice to be away from Moab but the grounds and rooms are pretty average. We basically used it as a place to sleep while doing lots of hiking in Arches and Canyonlands so can't comment on the activities they offered. We had dinner one night which was fine but a far cry from what was offered at both of the other properties we stayed during the trip. The options around Moab are pretty slim and I'm sure that is how they manage to charge what they do.
Could you tell us your thoughts on The Lodge at Blue Sky? Can you also contrast Blue Sky and Amangani?

Thanks
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by britepepper
The options around Moab are pretty slim and I'm sure that is how they manage to charge what they do.
Often a problem unfortunately.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 2:25 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP,STARS, PEN Club,Bellini , Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Rocco Knight,Prive,etc.
Originally Posted by NE flier
Hello all,

My multi-generational family (parents, me & mrs and the kids [5 & 7]) are planning a trip to Arches National Park and are homing in on potentially staying at the Sorrel River Resort & Spa in Moab. And I was wondering if anyone has recent experience with the hotel, especially f&b and the excursions. We are thinking of a family suite, and would welcome thoughts on whether that would be too cramped.

Finally, I was wondering if this property participates in Virtuouso or any such program and if anyone knows of an agent who could reserve this property with some typical extras such as breakfast, welcome amenity etc.

Many thanks!
I had a client there spring 2019 .
They enjoyed the hiking / horseback riding / atv etc.. however the room and food are a solid basic 4 star.
So you are not going there for the lodging experience even though online it is marketed as such.
It is more for the easy access to activities and the setting.

Sorrel River Ranch is not a Virtuoso and does not have Virtuoso perks but some agents can incl free
Daily Breakfast for 2 & A welcome amenity

Holly Lombardo
Atlanta, GA

Last edited by H.Lombardo; Jan 12, 2021 at 9:08 am Reason: Tone down the sales pitch
Old Jan 2, 2021, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Livetotell
Could you tell us your thoughts on The Lodge at Blue Sky? Can you also contrast Blue Sky and Amangani?

Thanks
We thoroughly enjoyed The Lodge at Blue Sky. First time there and would love to go back. We stayed in a Creek House which was pretty much perfect for us in terms of space and privacy. It was incredibly comfortable with a great bathroom and a very nice deck overlooking a forested area and creek.

Our original plan was to eat there the first night and try something else in Park City on the second, but after our fantastic meal we opted to have dinner at Blue Sky twice. All the food we had was great but a steak one night was probably the best I've ever had.

Service was exceptional from start to finish. We had one minor issue with an activity that we scheduled. There was some communication lapse between the hotel and sporting club so our clay shooting instructor was about 1/2 hour late. Not a big deal and unsolicited, they removed part (half?) of the charge from our bill. Overall, service was on par with what we've experienced at most Amans.

In contrast with Blue Sky, the service at Amangani seemed a little uneven. I can't think of any one instance in particular...more of just a general feeling. Outside of the spectacular location I don't think it has the specialness of other Amans we've been, including Amangiri.

This was our second stay at Amangani and both times it was hard to ignore the need for a refurbishment in the rooms. Our first time we thought it might be because we were in an entry level suite but we encountered similar issues this time in a Sena Suite.

One issue that stuck with me is the crappy quality of the sliding doors and screens in the Sena Suite. There are four sets of doors, if I remember correctly, and none move effortlessly like the enormous wall of glass in the Creek House at Blue Sky. I wouldn't be surprised if the sliders at Amangani have square shaped wheels. Additionally, the lock on one door was broken which we informed them about but it wasn't addressed before we left. Overall there is a sense that things need tending to and upkeep is being forgotten.

Our meals at Amangani were nearly as good as at Blue Sky and the dining room service a notch better.

We hung out around the pool for a couple of hours at both places and while Blue Sky's pool is very sleek and cool, it feels a little cramped. The pool at Amangani is expansive and has an amazing view.

All in all I enjoyed both places. I just wish Amangani would step it up a bit.
Old Jan 3, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP,STARS, PEN Club,Bellini , Dorchester Diamond, Rosewood Elite, Rocco Knight,Prive,etc.
Lodge at Blue Sky... it's in tip top shape, service is not only efficient but warm and friendly. Activities abundant and easily accessible.
You'll find your happy to get into a nice routine that may not include going anywhere else for dinner. The food is noteworthy.
It has some great options for families. (2 bdrm with chef/dining service) High West distillery on property is fun/social.
They have a great winter promo (stacks with Virt perks)

Amangiri ... traditional Aman service - a little more formal/aloof... rooms enjoyable but not nearly as comfortable as you might expect.
Little treats left each evening. (always love this touch!)
I would not say this would be the "activity" centric type resort experience. Trails can be not marked that well and staff not as well versed as you would expect about the options. I would 100% suggest having a car do go and explore on your own. What keeps you coming back is the other worldly views/ pool & food.

Another place I will add that many don't know about is
Ted Turners Vermejo in New Mexico. 585K acres with 30 guests.
Luxury without formality. Staff that run the activities amazing and they are all enthusiastic to be there..
Has an education component of conservation and what it is all about.
The food will blow your mind. The only challenge is that it can be hard to get to however that is part of the attractiveness.

Holly Lombardo
Atlanta, GA
Livetotell and FlyerEC like this.

Last edited by H.Lombardo; Jan 12, 2021 at 9:11 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.