Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on Aman style alternative in the Caribbean

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2018, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Advice on Aman style alternative in the Caribbean

Hi All,

Im looking to get out next week for 3 nights. I was going to go to Amanera, the issue is they are closed for another month ;(

My requirements are:

- One easy flight out of NYC area (or PHL) with no crazy long drive to the resort since we only have 2-3 days to get away (with travel time).
- Modern, and service should be on par or close to an Aman.
- On NICE beach grounds, with a private pool (unless we are taking Amanpulo style nature then can be fine with just beachfront access, which I dont think exists near us)

Been to Jumby Bay and Parrot Cay, dont love hard product (rooms) at all. And very not modern anyhow. Loved loved Parrot Cay beach, but rest was a turn off. Been to Puerto Rico Dorado, hotel nice but beach terrible.

I have been to Amanyara before, probably my next go to of what Im familiar with- but dont love as much as Era as it doesnt have that view and pool combo. Also, I dont love the timing of the flights, but if no other ideas I am likely to go back there.

Anyone that can help with any ideas, would be appreciated!
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:00 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
Originally Posted by moebod
Hi All,

Im looking to get out next week for 3 nights. I was going to go to Amanera, the issue is they are closed for another month ;(

My requirements are:

- One easy flight out of NYC area (or PHL) with no crazy long drive to the resort since we only have 2-3 days to get away (with travel time).
- Modern, and service should be on par or close to an Aman.
- On NICE beach grounds, with a private pool (unless we are taking Amanpulo style nature then can be fine with just beachfront access, which I dont think exists near us)

Been to Jumby Bay and Parrot Cay, dont love hard product (rooms) at all. And very not modern anyhow. Loved loved Parrot Cay beach, but rest was a turn off. Been to Puerto Rico Dorado, hotel nice but beach terrible.

I have been to Amanyara before, probably my next go to of what Im familiar with- but dont love as much as Era as it doesnt have that view and pool combo. Also, I dont love the timing of the flights, but if no other ideas I am likely to go back there.

Anyone that can help with any ideas, would be appreciated!
How about Rosewood Mayakoba? Great property, great rooms, easy flight and short drive from airport.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by A4K
How about Rosewood Mayakoba? Great property, great rooms, easy flight and short drive from airport.
Hmm. Flights are just about same as Turks. I can do this, but not sure if better overall vs Amanyara. Have you been to both and able to compare pros and cons? If there are any pros here.....
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by A4K
The beaches are covered with seaweed at this time and unusable + smell.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:29 pm
A4K

Programs: N/A
I have never been to Yara, but been to plenty other Aman properties. I wouldn't put the Rosewood quite in the same league but it is no doubt a great property.

Sorry thought you had removed Yara from consideration and were looking for something similar. I would probably just stick with Yara based on all your considerations.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 2:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
The beaches are covered with seaweed at this time and unusable + smell.
Thanks, so thats definitely out. Any other ideas?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:00 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Yara is undergoing lots of changes right now. If you are picky, avoid it until there’s at least a manager. Plus, it’s a villa place and it’s frankly silly to book their regular rooms there. I say this as someone who booked one of their regular rooms. It’s like booking the broomstick closet at a four seasons.

The new mo in the grenedines is on my list.

for something high end, besvisor reviewed the enclave in Turks.
offerendum and bhrubin like this.
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DSI
Yara is undergoing lots of changes right now. If you are picky, avoid it until there’s at least a manager. Plus, it’s a villa place and it’s frankly silly to book their regular rooms there. I say this as someone who booked one of their regular rooms. It’s like booking the broomstick closet at a four seasons.

The new mo in the grenedines is on my list.

for something high end, besvisor reviewed the enclave in Turks.
Thanks! Very helpful, and agree with you regarding the Yara base rooms. Last time I upgraded to Pool Room, definitely not taking a base room. But I hear you.

Eclave looks like large villas, Im only a couple and dont need 4 bedrooms, or the price of it

The Grenadines looks hot, but is that worth the schlep to go there for a 2 night or max 3 night stay? Does the MO really put the Aamanyara to shame? Anyone been there or others in the region to compare?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 3:51 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom

Well, I don’t know as I’ve never been. If it were me I’d only look at direct flights and nothing else.

i think amanyara delivers about 10% more than other places at 2x the price. Horrible value proposition for me. That and it’s isolated isn’t my cup of tea unless you really like eating on site/breakfast buffets. the place is in limbo with staff and underinvested right now means I’d avoid it unless you’re really into hotel conglomerates.

Id look at a high endish home rental. Imagine the feeling and privacy of your own place with the freedom to go to restaurants and bars, meet ppl and listen to music. But that’s just my take.

Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS nevis has new contemporary residences, via st kitts airport
rosewood mayakoba includes brand new residences
aman.com/resorts/amanyara/pavilions/amanyara-pavilion

banyan tree mayakoba - spa, beachside, beachfront
kiawah island south carolina - premier ocean view homes
if budget, villas at FS (ex O&O) ocean club bahamas

i would recommend considering more than nonstop
including for example something different reopening >
Possibly the last real hideaway in the Caribbean

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 3, 2018 at 4:51 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
FS nevis has new contemporary residences, via st kitts airport
rosewood mayakoba includes brand new residences
aman.com/resorts/amanyara/pavilions/amanyara-pavilion

banyan tree mayakoba - spa, beachside, beachfront
kiawah island south carolina - premier ocean view homes
if budget, villas at FS (ex O&O) ocean club bahamas

i would recommend considering more than nonstop
including for example something different reopening >
Possibly the last real hideaway in the Caribbean

Thanks. The last one too far, and also doesnt look modern at all. We love modern feel. South Carolina, doesnt look our taste at all, and I doubt the beach is anything good, may as well go to somewhere nice in Florida. No?

So maybe mayakoba, which of the properties there are nicest overall? And does it beat Amanyara convenience of being closer and having better service and all?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

premier ocean view homes, one $11m, some contemporary exteriors, kiawah are only hotel managed etc beachfront in US, none in FL, but not sure how beach compares to dorado etc

caribbeanvillas.fourseasons.com/nevis_villas/pinneys_beach/
caribbeanvillas.fourseasons.com/nevis_villas/belmont_and_stewarts/

fourseasons.com/oceanclub/accommodations/villa-residences/three-bedroom-villa-residence/

in california there is new nobu ryokan

you mentioned aman and amanpulo

there is no real reason to consider other than yara, especially linked 1BR (rate = ?)

personally i liked necker island when low occupancy, not sure re beaches
also not sure whether any of sold moskito homes are contemporary etc

to me, ideal beachfront is lacking all over world, but especially in north america

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Oct 3, 2018 at 5:08 pm
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
premier ocean view homes, one $11m, some contemporary exteriors, kiawah are only hotel managed etc beachfront in US, none in FL, but not sure how beach compares to dorado etc

caribbeanvillas.fourseasons.com/nevis_villas/pinneys_beach/
caribbeanvillas.fourseasons.com/nevis_villas/belmont_and_stewarts/

fourseasons.com/oceanclub/accommodations/villa-residences/three-bedroom-villa-residence/

in california there is new nobu ryokan

you mentioned aman and amanpulo

there is no real reason to consider other than yara, especially linked 1BR (rate = ?)

personally i liked necker island when low occupancy, not sure re beaches
also not sure whether any of sold moskito homes are contemporary etc

to me, ideal beachfront is lacking all over world, but especially in north america
I like being within a resort, not my own remote area, seems more depressing that way for just a couple, and less "pampered". And yes contemporary is key. So are we back to square one- Amanyara?
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:35 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I go through this all the time. I value space and privacy. Private pool and a nice beach are also a plus. In addition convenient travel, especially for 2-3 days. The JetBlue. On stop to POP is nice but like you’ve said, they are closed. I’ve been to Amanyara and while it’s not great there aren’t any many great options. Parrot CAy beach villa is actually next on my list for Turks... but with the transfers and lack of a non stop flight for me; I wouldn’t want to go for less than five nights. any thoughts about Anguilla? Beaches there are great. FS doesn’t really appeal to me (what’s with the tiny plunge pools) though. I looked and looked and just couldn’t find anything appealing... the beaches in Mexico just seem kind of blah... especially compared to the bexhes in Turks... so our next trip instead of the CArribean is to Twin Farms....

fdw
Old Oct 3, 2018, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FlyingDoctorwu
I go through this all the time. I value space and privacy. Private pool and a nice beach are also a plus. In addition convenient travel, especially for 2-3 days. The JetBlue. On stop to POP is nice but like you’ve said, they are closed. I’ve been to Amanyara and while it’s not great there aren’t any many great options. Parrot CAy beach villa is actually next on my list for Turks... but with the transfers and lack of a non stop flight for me; I wouldn’t want to go for less than five nights. any thoughts about Anguilla? Beaches there are great. FS doesn’t really appeal to me (what’s with the tiny plunge pools) though. I looked and looked and just couldn’t find anything appealing... the beaches in Mexico just seem kind of blah... especially compared to the bexhes in Turks... so our next trip instead of the CArribean is to Twin Farms....

fdw
Yes, someone here gets me

Anguilla is great Im sure, but no direct flights is the issue here.

By the way, Ive been to to Parrot Cay back to back when I was last in Turks (it was 5 years ago now). Definitely stunning beaches and the way to go if you like traditional looks. I just hated that it was old looking and so not my taste of design. I understand some are redone or are newer now, but Im scared to go back there lol. I think Amanyara overall was better for me. And its one flight, not sure why you say otherwise. Just an extra 25 minute boat ride to their island, no big deal. Ugh decisions. I dont know what to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.