Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Report on my stay at Aman Sveti Stefan

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2021, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by thetaxman29
I'm in the same boat with a May stay - pretty disappointing. Are you considering other properties in Montenegro?
Yes - I understand things are difficult right now, but being informed 10 days in advance was a bit challenging given that I am trying to organize a trip for a small group of friends for a special occasion.

In the end, we decided to go for Amanzoe instead, which we loved last time. The One & Only is also in a beautiful setting, but I fear that the Porto Novo development might be more geared towards an Eastern Europe noveau riche clientele which is not really our thing.
ABG likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by hypnos8
Yes - I understand things are difficult right now, but being informed 10 days in advance was a bit challenging given that I am trying to organize a trip for a small group of friends for a special occasion.

In the end, we decided to go for Amanzoe instead, which we loved last time. The One & Only is also in a beautiful setting, but I fear that the Porto Novo development might be more geared towards an Eastern Europe noveau riche clientele which is not really our thing.
Unfortunately I think Greece will be a separate trip for us, but hope you enjoy!

O&O is also intriguing, but prices are sky high for a new resort with 140+ rooms. Villa Milocer does seem like a good option for what my wife and I are looking for, my only concern is will we be disappointed by having the island in plain view during our stay without actually being able to visit.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:42 am

Just bringing up an old thread because it's now already 2023 and so far it's not clear if SS will reopen for this summer?

I already contacted Aman and the only news I got was "nothing we can confirm yet".

Does anybody know what's going on?
Old Jan 18, 2023, 1:56 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Epicura
Just bringing up an old thread because it's now already 2023 and so far it's not clear if SS will reopen for this summer?

I already contacted Aman and the only news I got was "nothing we can confirm yet".

Does anybody know what's going on?
It won’t reopen in 2023.

The dispute between Aman/hotel owner with the Montenegrin government still not resolved, court case pending.

Cause of the issue was a change of government in Montenegro, the new government allowed free access to all the beaches to anyone. Obviously, Aman cannot operate under such circumstances.
Epicura likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2023, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by livefromtuscany
It won’t reopen in 2023.

The dispute between Aman/hotel owner with the Montenegrin government still not resolved, court case pending.

Cause of the issue was a change of government in Montenegro, the new government allowed free access to all the beaches to anyone. Obviously, Aman cannot operate under such circumstances.
Thanks C.! I somehow missed that part during covid and last time I checked (2 years ago or so) they were still working with private bookings for Villa Milocer. Enjoy Puri !
livefromtuscany likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2023, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
This is the case in many countries all over the world. So I'm a little surprised that's the reason.
EuropeanPete and ewoo like this.
Old Jan 20, 2023, 12:43 am
formerly vienna-resident
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by offerendum
This is the case in many countries all over the world. So I'm a little surprised that's the reason.
I wouldn’t know any Aman Resort beaches were you are surrounded by local familes having barbecues on the beach? Aman has always been about privacy and exclusivity, even in places where beaches are technically public domain.

I certainly wouldn’t pay Aman rates for this:

Last edited by livefromtuscany; Jan 20, 2023 at 3:49 am
Old Jan 20, 2023, 3:56 pm

I wouldn’t know any Aman Resort beaches were you are surrounded by local familes having barbecues on the beach? Aman has always been about privacy and exclusivity, even in places where beaches are technically public domain.
Well, if the alternative is violating the law, I would say the two options are families barbecuing on the beach or no Aman on the beach. It seems like in this case they chose the latter.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: Some

I certainly wouldn’t pay Aman rates for this:

I agree, that looks sucky. It has always been criticized that the beach is very visible from the public footpath. Also, you don't have the problem with public beaches, of course, if you're on a desert island or otherwise quite lonely. The FS Seychelles also circumvents the problem quite well. Nevertheless, I am surprised that this one point leads to the fact that immediately the whole hotel is closed.
cornwall4000 likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2023, 8:26 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by offerendum
I agree, that looks sucky. It has always been criticized that the beach is very visible from the public footpath. Also, you don't have the problem with public beaches, of course, if you're on a desert island or otherwise quite lonely. The FS Seychelles also circumvents the problem quite well. Nevertheless, I am surprised that this one point leads to the fact that immediately the whole hotel is closed.
Wasn't there also a lot of speculation about the owner, crime, money laundering, connections with the current or previous government, etc.? I have no idea if any of it is true, but there could well be other issues that aren't as public that are the underlying reason for the closure and the lack of resolution to an issue on going for 3 or 4 years now. It is too bad. We stayed on the island for several nights and had a wonderful time. The location, and the island cottages, are really very special. Unique even. The soft product wasn't quite as amazing, but it was still very good. Hard product was amazing.
offerendum and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Jan 22, 2023, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

leaseholder = aman (prior to DLF) > restis > stathis

any agents here remember when sveti decided to stay closed? upthread >
Originally Posted by Epicura
last time I checked (2 years ago or so) they were still working with private bookings for Villa Milocer.
2021 >
Originally Posted by hypnos8
We just had to cancel our stay in May as they informed us that this year they will not be opening the island until June and offered us Villa Milocer
and re closures, for amanruya closure, was it only that it did not open for season in 2017?

re rates, aman rates only continue to increase in value, compared to almost all other luxury hotel and luxury resort rates

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 22, 2023 at 2:21 pm
Old Jan 25, 2023, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
leaseholder = aman (prior to DLF) > restis > stathis

any agents here remember when sveti decided to stay closed? upthread >

2021 >

and re closures, for amanruya closure, was it only that it did not open for season in 2017?

re rates, aman rates only continue to increase in value, compared to almost all other luxury hotel and luxury resort rates
I checked my e-mails for you:
  • Fall of 2020 at least Villa Milocer was still offered for buy-outs
  • I don't remember exactly about Summer 2020 because it could be that Montenegro was still closed during that time due to covid and Montenegro was most certainly not on the EU- green list for a travel corridor. But it seems to me that end of 2020 there was no issue regarding the beach as Villa Milocer was bookable (the main resort on SS island closes shortly after Summer anyway).
  • In 2021 Aman confirmed to me that SS would not reopen for the season.
Old Jan 26, 2023, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

thanks

balkaninsight.com/2021/10/11/montenegro-govt-claims-ignorance-of-100m-euro-sveti-stefan-lawsuit

another factor is equity vs debt. debt includes >

ebrd.com/work-with-us/projects/psd/sveti-stefan-hotel-complex-ppp.html
€37 million long term debt facility under A/B structure, with two separate tranches (one tranche per phase).

Phase 2...Queens Beach

Project Cost €92.6 million.
queens beach is currently spa and nothing else?
was spa open for villa milocer during winter?

speaking of covid, i heard amanzoe had villas open (not pavilions)

janu montenegro was announced before they decided not to reopen aman sveti stefan
now it is off the website
Originally Posted by deer
markolaw.gr/news/new-project-montenegro-janu-created-aman
same owner as aman, size matches ebrd for phase 2 Queens Beach (originally chedi)
and link specifies location of janu as sveti stefan
might be construction to north of queens beach?
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sv...6zL20vMDJ2OXF5

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Jan 28, 2023 at 8:18 pm
Old Jul 11, 2023, 11:40 pm

It's reopening:

"Villa Miločer at Aman Sveti Stefan will open its doors once again on Friday 14 July 2023. Although the island of Sveti Stefan remains closed, guests of Villa Miločer can explore the historic islet by way of a private tour."

Would you still recommend to go there, even with only the villy open?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 1:24 am

I would not want to be the first guest playing guinea pig ... let's wait for some reports first. The location is certainly incredibly special and there's nothing like it in the region. Very curious how they handled the private/public beach situation and these locals there...
offerendum likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.