Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Maui Four Seasons Honeymoon - Best way to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Four Seasons Honeymoon - Best way to book?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2018, 8:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
FS Maui tends to start a flame war with speck and spittle flying everywhere. 'Mixed reviews' and 'rethink' are code phrases here on the FT luxury forum for 'some of us thought it sucked'. I've gone once and will NEVER return but that stay was well over 10 years ago so I expect to get brutally criticized for even participating in this discussion. You will find others here that, bizarrely, liked the place. There are several threads. Do a search and read the threads.

Here is my list of issues:
- There are actually very few 'ocean front' units. Look at the satellite view of the place here: Google FS Maui. The resort is U-shaped. The units described as 'partial ocean view' are on the inside and outside of the 'U' and the vast majority of the rooms fall in this category. 'Partial ocean view' is marketing speak for 'you can see the ocean from the room if you stand on the balcony and lean over'. I found our 'partial ocean view' room to be dark and depressing.

- There is simply not enough resources to properly support the number of guests at >50% capacity. During our stay, all, and I mean 'ALL' lounge chairs were gone by 7am. I watched as FS pool attendants held pool chairs for ransom. The trick was to get out to the pool before the attendants arrived and reserve a swath of chairs. Waiting times for the restaurants could extend to 2 hours, for both BK and dinner. They've added some resources such as an adult pool, but I am unconvinced it is enough to fix the shortage.

If you do book do it through an FSPP agent and not directly via the web page. Do not expect an upgrade at this FS unless explicitly guaranteed. This is a special event for you. I'd rather you tell us what you are looking for and your price range and let us recommend alternate properties. You risk spending your days in the sun on a towel placed over cement at this FS and waiting hours for the privilege of sitting in one of the restaurants.
Great information and thank you taking the time to write it out. I will do some reading on the threads here. To answer your question, price wise, at the same price point as Maui FS or lower (800-900/night max). In describing what I am looking for, to be honest, hard to put in words. Maybe I am not exactly sure, either. I guess that best way to put it is a place that will exceed my expectations, or the property who has the least chance of not meeting them. You're right it is a special time for my fiancé and I, so we are really looking for the honeymoon experience that everyone thinks about. I will say we are well traveled and one of my biggest worries about any place, including the FS Maui, is that it will just be another nice vacation like we have taken in the past. There won't be anything that really separates it from being a vacation to a honeymoon. We initially thought of going to Bora Bora or Maldives, but we would be bored staying there for a week or so. A few recent trips include staying at Fairmont Banff Springs, cabin in Jasper, perhaps the best, unimpeded sunset view room in Santorini in Oia, along with Mykonos and through the Mainland of Greece, Cabo, As I am typing this and at the end of the day it seems what I really want is for this trip to differentiate itself from the others. A honeymoon, not another vacation. Best way I can describe it.
Old Jun 21, 2018, 7:35 am

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, RC STARS, Rosewood Elite, Bellini, SPG LP, Dorchester Diamond, PenClub
Originally Posted by Beardedluck2
As I am typing this and at the end of the day it seems what I really want is for this trip to differentiate itself from the others. A honeymoon, not another vacation. Best way I can describe it.
The key is to define what you want from the experience. What is important to you? What is your vision for your honeymoon? What is it about a hotel stay makes you happy? For example, if you want to to sit on the beach and drink fruity cocktails and chill out after all of the wedding stress, then Hawaii isn't a good choice because alcohol isn't allowed on any beach in the state.

My advice would be to focus less on it being special, and more on exactly what it is that would make a great honeymoon for the two of you. Sit down and make a list on paper of what you want no matter how obvious or silly the items may sound. The trip will inherently be special because it's your honeymoon, and there are many ways to inject uniqueness and memorability into a vacation. I know that certain destinations may not sound sexy when you are telling people where you are honeymooning, but it's your trip. This isn't about anyone else but the two of you.

A personal example, I wanted to go to French Polynesia for my 10th wedding anniversary. I thought it would be a special and memorable way to celebrate. It was, because neither of us really loved the experience. We would have been much happier returning to our favorite destination and splurging on a fancy suite, cabanas every day, VIP arrival service, etc.

Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.