Wiki Posts
Search

Four Seasons Maui in August - Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2013, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, HHon Diamond
Four Seasons Maui in August - Questions

Hey everyone - long time lurker, first time poster!

Once again making the very long trip from London to HI this coming August, having last been to Maui and Kauai in 2008.This time we are going to Big Island, Maui and Oahu.

Currently booked into the Fairmont Orchid on Big Island in the 2nd week of August, followed by 7 nights at the Four Seasons Maui in the 3rd week of August.

I've been reading all over the web and I've started to worry myself about the crowds at FS this time of year - I'd be really interested to hear about other people's experiences around this time in August. Last time on Maui (again, mid/late August) we strayed at Wailea Beach Villas, which we loved, but decided we wanted a hotel this time around. We went to the Grand Wailea a couple of times and really didn't like how big it felt and how packed the pool area was. FS seemed much more calm when we visited there which is why I chose it! But 5 years is a long time, and things may have changed. Are all the beds really gone by the pool by 7am? We have no problem with big hotels, but we aren't so used to the crowds!

Starting to wonder whether I'd be better rebooking at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua or Travaasa Hana? Then again, I'd be sad not to go to the FS......

On another note - does any have any experience about how strict they are on the age limit at the Serenity Pool? I've heard varying reports - some say it is 18+, others say 21+. All my kids are 21+ except the youngest who is 18. It would be a shame if she couldn't go in there, but of course if that is their policy then so be it

Thanks everyone
Old May 18, 2013, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

shorten FS maui and add FS hualalai on big island? hualalai also has condos/villas. if you rent from hualalai they include FS housekeeping. and the condos right next to golf/ocean rooms can get FS room service.

suggestion re serenity pool age - email GM, depending on response maybe ask for exception if necessary

serenity pool can also have availability issues, and pools can be closed for VIPs

welcome, hope you stick around !

problems >

Originally Posted by calitripgal
I believe the pool is often closed at FS Maui for certain celebs and royalty. Was definitely closed for the Schwarzeneggers the day before we arrived...a long time ago. Guests were complaining and had to use the kiddie pool
Originally Posted by ainternational
Jul 11, [2012]...Recently completed at stay

Securing a seat / lounge chair at the Serenity Pool is getting absolutely ridiculous. Not only were the private cabanas (which are pricey but I was willing to pay) sold out well in advance of my queries, even getting normal chairs is a game. There was a line of no less than 35-40 males (women in rooms? ;-) ) as the pool opened at 7:30am (?) daily. By the time I arrived after breakfast, more casually, at 8am, I put my name on the list for two chairs. I was called at 4:30pm when something became available. Unbelievable. My suggestion to the FS Maui is to restrict access to those lounge chairs for a max number of hours when there is a waiting list.
8.5 hour wait

Originally Posted by SFore
This is why our ideal time for FS Maui is October...while we still had to endure waits for the Serenity Pool (up to 1.5 hrs)
1.5 hour wait in low season?

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
At >70% occupancy FS Maui is a complete disaster, and that number could be as low as 50%. I remember being told at the bar that the ‘resource trick’ was to send your nanny down to the pool at 4am to reserve the lounges before the FS pool personal arrived to demand tips and hold chairs.
My stay was the last week of Jan 2006.

The FS employees were 'reserving' the lounge chairs and then demanding tips for access. This wasn't a well kept secret and was well discussed at the outside bar. That is where I heard about the nanny trick. We studied this carefully after being refused access on the first day. I was dumbfounded that FS management allowed the practice. Our room looked directly down onto the pool and I watched the process unfold several days in a row. Those FS pool employees were making a $$mint$$.
FS Maui, a $40 tip PER chair was required to get a lounge at the pool.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 21, 2013 at 3:23 pm
Old May 18, 2013, 8:45 pm
Original Poster

That is a possibility that did occur to me - but I think we would like to have the full week on Maui since we liked it so much before and there's quite a few things to do.

Thanks for the pool suggestion - will try that!
Old May 18, 2013, 10:23 pm

I have to agree; If the budget allows, Four Seasons Hualalai is a world apart from the Fairmont and offers the respite you're looking for.

And on that note, have I missed references to their new webcam? What a time consuming addition to my day!
Old May 19, 2013, 1:21 am

Thinking about the FS for our Maui part of the Hawaii Trip. Is the club level worth it ? If the resort is crowded and service is a mess, would booking it make dining / activities / pool reservations easier ?
Old May 19, 2013, 7:01 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by vincentb89
Thinking about the FS for our Maui part of the Hawaii Trip. Is the club level worth it ? If the resort is crowded and service is a mess, would booking it make dining / activities / pool reservations easier ?
I visited the club floor and it is well done with beautiful presentations of high quality food throughout the day.

I really can't emphasize enough that the whole experience of the Four Seasons Maui falls short of the Four Seasons Hualalai. It is worth it to spend a few days with the FS as a base, to take the Road to Hana, to swim in the seven sacred pools, hike in the bamboo forests and swim in the waterfalls, and enjoy a meal at the Lahaina Grill. But, you'll notice that none of these activities are connected with the hotel and all of these activities would take 2-3 days. Now if this hotel was in Florida it would be the best in the state, but in Hawaii the other Four Seasons competition has them beat.

In contrast the experience at the Four Seasons Hualalai as a resort is spectacular, both the resort and the natural surrounds. Almost all the rooms have an ocean view, the rooms are all at least 600 ft. with those on the lower floors with lava showers and orchids, the rooms are spread throughout a tropical garden and clustered close to the shore. There are three gorgeous ocean front pools as well as a quiet lap pool. They also have a fish pond with over 3,000 tropical fish and all day complimentary snorkeling to enjoy it, oh, and attendants who can share with you all the amazing facts about the animals. I've never had to fight over a chair here, even when it is 100% occupied. The restaurants and their kitchens were all recently renovated and are firing on all cylinders. The staff, many of whom have been with the resort since opening, are so warm, caring, and well trained. It is just a completely different experience than Maui.

And, of course, I hope you will join us at the first upcoming Four Seasons Hualalai Do! PM me for details. So far six members are joining us!
Old May 19, 2013, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Any suggestions for where to find the best rate for Hualalai? All I can find for August at the moment is $1000+ so any savings would be welcome if I decide to go for it!! Is that pretty standard August pricing? Booked Maui through WhatAHotel to get the preferred partner perks.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:00 am

Programs: Delta GM, Amex Reserve, Amex Plat, JP Morgan Palladium
Rent a villa at Hualalai. We may have had our best family vacation ever at Hualalai last summer. We stayed for two weeks and would have loved to stay longer.
Old May 19, 2013, 8:48 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Best rate at a Four Seasons Hawaii

Originally Posted by ejcejc
Any suggestions for where to find the best rate for Hualalai? All I can find for August at the moment is $1000+ so any savings would be welcome if I decide to go for it!! Is that pretty standard August pricing? Booked Maui through WhatAHotel to get the preferred partner perks.
As long as you are booking through a Four Seasons Preferred Partner agent, you're getting the best rate and benefits. There are a number of agents on this site, including me , who can help you for Maui, Hualalai, Manele Bay and Koele.

Preferred Partner Benefits:
* Daily full American breakfast for two people per bedroom, served through In-Room Dining or in the hotel restaurant (including buffets)
* Food and beverage credit of USD100
* Upgrade of one category, based on availability at time of check-in (excluding signature suites and villas)
* Complimentary high-speed Internet access
Old May 19, 2013, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by Valveking
Rent a villa at Hualalai. We may have had our best family vacation ever at Hualalai last summer. We stayed for two weeks and would have loved to stay longer.
^
Old May 19, 2013, 10:43 am

We travelled from England the FS Maui in August 2010. Although the property was busy the benefits of the jet lag enabled to be up early to secure good seats overlooking the beach. Also as we tended to want to eat earlier than most US based people for breakfast, lunch and dinner we could choose any restaurant and the pick of the tables. I would be happy to go back in August at any time. We also walked up to the Grand Wailea which was far to big and a bit grubby for our liking.
Old May 19, 2013, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U
I've never had to fight over a chair here, even when it is 100% occupied.
(new) hualalai festive problems (due to continually increasing numbers)

xmas/nye 2011 >

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
pool chair problem during festive - two new reports, while others previously seemed to suggest no problem
2 reports from dec 18-24 2011 and jan 1+ 2012 include problems with pool chairs >

http://www.sitinfirst.com/2012/01/ch...he-experience/
Originally Posted by NYBanker
The only drawback to any of the pools was competitively “early chair claims,” or “dibs-ing.”. Even at 6:45am, despite no one actually using the pool at that hour, perhaps 35% of the chairs at the Seashell (kids’) pool had towels or other personal items on them.. If you didn’t get down to reserve your seats by 9:00am, you’d be lucky to get a seat at the Seashell pool until 3pm, when it starts emptying out.
The adults’ only pool wasn’t as bad, and even turning up at 11am, we could get chairs.. If you turned up at any of the pools at 12:30pm, it wouldn’t be uncommon to see all of the chairs reserved, but with less than 35% actually being used.. The hotel said they would remove belongings left unattended for more than one hour (allowing people to go to lunch, etc), but that clearly wasn’t enforced..
Originally Posted by jordyn
I'm just returning from a short trip to Hualalai myself, and do think it's worth pointing out that many of the minor drawbacks tat NYBanker refers to are limited to really prime times. We arrived on Jan. 1st, when the resort was totally overflowing and crowded, but all of the subsequent days of our trip we had no problem getting chairs at the pools.
xmas/nye 2012 >

Originally Posted by wayzfam
Breakfast buffet - not on par with Maui. Very crowded, understaffed, extra charges for almond croissant. Seriously, they had certain pastries not included in the buffet. After the first morning, we did room service for breakfast because it was such a zoo. Also, my three year old never eats at breakfast. At Maui, the server packed her eggs, bagels, cereal to go with utensils. No charge. At hualalai, they refused to even provide a to go container for her bagel that was unfinished.

Pools - seashell pool was wild, loud and lousy service. It reminded me of a Hyatt or Marriott. I could tell the staff was burned out from the main festive period dec 24-Jan 1. The beach tree pool was better, but they really discourage kids. This creates a big problem because the seashell becomes overcrowded while beach tree pool is empty. Palm grove pool was nice, but service was also below expectations. The serenity pool at Maui was a more dramatic adults only option.

The other big issue with sea shell pool was that the staff constantly asked if we were finished with our chairs. Multiple times a day. I was getting out of the pool and rather than bringing me a towel the staff asked me if we could give up one of our cabanas.

Service - housekeeping was fine, but second morning did not show up until mid afternoon when we requested early morning. Pool service was really disappointing.

Time of year - I would not recommend this property during peak times. Rates are highest and service is lowest. I could tell the regulars really got better service and toward the end of festive the staff was burned out.
easter 2013 >

Originally Posted by nnn
entire week, for example, cabanas around the Seashell pool (the family pool) were gone by 6:30 AM. Note that this is before the arrival of the pool attendants, which is at 6:45 AM. (I know this because I was out at 5:00-5:45 AM each morning so that my family could have a cabana.) One day, by late morning, we were told by a pool attendant that the waiting list for a chair at the Seashell pool was 75 people long. I believe the issue was not that the hotel was full -- which it was -- but rather that the condos were also packed, and that pushed the common areas over the edge.
Originally Posted by nnn
Was just at Hualalai over Spring Break. Way too crowded -- the masses come down from the condos and put a huge burden on the pool areas and restaurants. (A lot of snot nosed kids raising hell, too, but that's not the hotel's fault.) The hotel did not seem well prepared for the crush. Service was noticeably worse than usual in several categories.
Originally Posted by peter11
I tend to agree with your assessment of Hualalai over spring break. We arrived the day before Easter and it was quite crowded for the first few days. After the third email I received from the resort prior to our arrival advising me of how busy it was going to be (and that my room would not be ready and that I'd need to reserve my dinners in advance, etc, etc,) I picked up the phone and asked if I should really be coming at all. They, of course were reassuring and the rooms manager met us at check in and took personal care of us which helped quite a bit. That said, it really is not a great value at $1000+ per night with the strain on resort overall at such a peak period. The last few days were quiet and much nicer.

The rooms really are quite excellent and the staff overall is too. Some of the guests should be kicked out.
some numbers >

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...nd-climbs.html
jan 23 2013

rates...back to their peak 2007 levels

this year probably will be the best yet for nightly prices and demand, Fitzgerald said.

Occupancy...will probably rise to more than 80 percent this year, from “high 70 percent” in 2012, Fitzgerald said.

property includes 300 residential units...according to Fitzgerald.

Patrick Fitzgerald, chief executive officer of the resort
thing about club level is it gives you a private area. only 25-27 rooms. guaranteed 8th floor.

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; May 20, 2013 at 6:14 pm
Old May 19, 2013, 3:18 pm

I visited the club floor and it is well done with beautiful presentations of high quality food throughout the day.

I really can't emphasize enough that the whole experience of the Four Seasons Maui falls short of the Four Seasons Hualalai. It is worth it to spend a few days with the FS as a base, to take the Road to Hana, to swim in the seven sacred pools, hike in the bamboo forests and swim in the waterfalls, and enjoy a meal at the Lahaina Grill. But, you'll notice that none of these activities are connected with the hotel and all of these activities would take 2-3 days. Now if this hotel was in Florida it would be the best in the state, but in Hawaii the other Four Seasons competition has them beat.

In contrast the experience at the Four Seasons Hualalai as a resort is spectacular, both the resort and the natural surrounds. Almost all the rooms have an ocean view, the rooms are all at least 600 ft. with those on the lower floors with lava showers and orchids, the rooms are spread throughout a tropical garden and clustered close to the shore. There are three gorgeous ocean front pools as well as a quiet lap pool. They also have a fish pond with over 3,000 tropical fish and all day complimentary snorkeling to enjoy it, oh, and attendants who can share with you all the amazing facts about the animals. I've never had to fight over a chair here, even when it is 100% occupied. The restaurants and their kitchens were all recently renovated and are firing on all cylinders. The staff, many of whom have been with the resort since opening, are so warm, caring, and well trained. It is just a completely different experience than Maui.

And, of course, I hope you will join us at the first upcoming Four Seasons Hualalai Do! PM me for details. So far six members are joining us!
Thanks for the response. We've already booked the FS Hualalai for the Big Island part of the trip . That's Maui that keeps us pondering. FS gets better reviews than the RC on this board and the beach seems more enjoyable but we're not that much into Uber large scale resorts ... Anything better in Maui hotelwise ?
Old May 19, 2013, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by ejcejc
Hey everyone - long time lurker, first time poster!

Once again making the very long trip from London to HI this coming August, having last been to Maui and Kauai in 2008.This time we are going to Big Island, Maui and Oahu.

Currently booked into the Fairmont Orchid on Big Island in the 2nd week of August, followed by 7 nights at the Four Seasons Maui in the 3rd week of August.

I've been reading all over the web and I've started to worry myself about the crowds at FS this time of year - I'd be really interested to hear about other people's experiences around this time in August. Last time on Maui (again, mid/late August) we strayed at Wailea Beach Villas, which we loved, but decided we wanted a hotel this time around. We went to the Grand Wailea a couple of times and really didn't like how big it felt and how packed the pool area was. FS seemed much more calm when we visited there which is why I chose it! But 5 years is a long time, and things may have changed. Are all the beds really gone by the pool by 7am? We have no problem with big hotels, but we aren't so used to the crowds!

Starting to wonder whether I'd be better rebooking at the Ritz-Carlton Kapalua or Travaasa Hana? Then again, I'd be sad not to go to the FS......

On another note - does any have any experience about how strict they are on the age limit at the Serenity Pool? I've heard varying reports - some say it is 18+, others say 21+. All my kids are 21+ except the youngest who is 18. It would be a shame if she couldn't go in there, but of course if that is their policy then so be it

Thanks everyone

I have been visiting Maui since the 70's for pleasure and business and have never been bothered by the "crowds" at the FS. ALso don't forget the new Andaz is opening so many people will be drawn over there. It's the old Renaissance. It was slated to be a St. Regis but Starwood pulled out.

If your really worried ( needlessly ) then try the Fairmont down the street, although my experience is better at the FS.

Good luck and enjoy.
Old May 20, 2013, 3:48 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
We stayed 10 nights at FS Maui in August 2009. I believe the Serenity Pool was relatively new at the time. I went outside around 7-7:30 AM each day and never had a problem getting a cabana at either the main pool or keiki pool. Also, I never saw anyone tipping the pool attendants to get chairs.

I've never had to fight over a chair [at FS Hualalai], even when it is 100% occupied. The restaurants and their kitchens were all recently renovated and are firing on all cylinders. The staff, many of whom have been with the resort since opening, are so warm, caring, and well trained. It is just a completely different experience than Maui.
Based on multiple stays, I agree that Hualalai is a huge step above, but disagree that it does not bogged down at busy times. As one of my posts quoted above states, we felt that the resort was overloaded during our Spring Break visit this year.

That entire week, for example, cabanas around the Seashell pool (the family pool) were gone by 6:30 AM. Note that this is before the arrival of the pool attendants, which is at 6:45 AM. (I know this because I was out at 5:00-5:45 AM each morning so that my family could have a cabana.) One day, by late morning, we were told by a pool attendant that the waiting list for a chair at the Seashell pool was 75 people long. I believe the issue was not that the hotel was full -- which it was -- but rather that the condos were also packed, and that pushed the common areas over the edge.

I don't think I'll be going back to Hualalai at such a busy time. Simply not worth it. That said, August may be fine, since the summer crowds tend to spread out. Late August is probably even quieter, since many schools will have started by then, and others will be starting very soon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.