Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

Maui Four Seasons Honeymoon - Best way to book?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Four Seasons Honeymoon - Best way to book?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:34 pm

May I ask where you're traveling from? How did you decide Four Seasons Wailea would be a great place to honeymoon?
This would help determine the "right" place for you and your fiancé.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Beardedluck2
ok, I'll bite. What makes you say I should rethink?
A very much debated resort in these forums.
vuittonsofstyle likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:21 am

Having stayed several times at the FS Maui, I, too, am curious about your reasoning for choosing FS Maui for a honeymoon. I’m not necessarily trying to dissuade you, only curious as to what you are looking for in a honeymoon property?

Because, of course you want it to be perfect.

Are you getting married in HI/on Maui?
What type of luxury hotel experience(s) do you both have?
What are you, specifically, looking for in a honeymoon experience?
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:27 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
new FS page removed a lot of detail, no more room comparison?
This is still available:
https://www.fourseasons.com/maui/mee...accommodations
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:06 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Dont mean to be too blunt...it’s just the property is a 380 room resort factory that might not be ideal for the perfect honeymoon. Don’t get me wrong, if you aren’t used to luxury properties it will be way nicer than you are used to (and also WAY more expensive).

Citi prestige with 4th night free at FS Lanai might be something to think about. I believe FSPP could stack the $100 resort credit/day offer with FSPP benefits if you decide to stay with FS Maui

Last edited by Cityflyer10; Jun 20, 2018 at 11:12 am
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:18 am
Original Member

I concur. Much better resort, great beach, a lovely experience. And, you won't be abbutting the Grand Wailea.

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
My first suggestion would be to rethink FS Maui for the honeymoon. If you disregard that, go with an FSPP agent (there are some good ones on here).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 11:24 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
FS Maui tends to start a flame war with speck and spittle flying everywhere. 'Mixed reviews' and 'rethink' are code phrases here on the FT luxury forum for 'some of us thought it sucked'. I've gone once and will NEVER return but that stay was well over 10 years ago so I expect to get brutally criticized for even participating in this discussion. You will find others here that, bizarrely, liked the place. There are several threads. Do a search and read the threads.

Here is my list of issues:
- There are actually very few 'ocean front' units. Look at the satellite view of the place here: Google FS Maui. The resort is U-shaped. The units described as 'partial ocean view' are on the inside and outside of the 'U' and the vast majority of the rooms fall in this category. 'Partial ocean view' is marketing speak for 'you can see the ocean from the room if you stand on the balcony and lean over'. I found our 'partial ocean view' room to be dark and depressing.

- There is simply not enough resources to properly support the number of guests at >50% capacity. During our stay, all, and I mean 'ALL' lounge chairs were gone by 7am. I watched as FS pool attendants held pool chairs for ransom. The trick was to get out to the pool before the attendants arrived and reserve a swath of chairs. Waiting times for the restaurants could extend to 2 hours, for both BK and dinner. They've added some resources such as an adult pool, but I am unconvinced it is enough to fix the shortage.

If you do book do it through an FSPP agent and not directly via the web page. Do not expect an upgrade at this FS unless explicitly guaranteed. This is a special event for you. I'd rather you tell us what you are looking for and your price range and let us recommend alternate properties. You risk spending your days in the sun on a towel placed over cement at this FS and waiting hours for the privilege of sitting in one of the restaurants.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 1:26 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
With the goal of placing this question in a forum frequented by members who can assist the OP, I am going to move this to the Luxury Hotels and Travel Forum, where there's an existing thread on the Four Seasons chain and also discussions on Virtuoso bookings.

The Ultimate Guide to Four Seasons Hotels & Resorts

Aloha!

FlyinHawaiian, Co-Moderator
Hawaii (Travel) Forum
I think it's important to note that our OP originally posted this in the Hawaii Forum--not the Luxury Forum.

My guess is that our OP is not accustomed to staying in luxury hotels and therefore is far more impressed with the Four Seasons brand in Hawaii than those of us who regularly stay at luxury hotels. I also would guess that the OP's budget is different from those of us who regularly frequent this Luxury Hotels Forum.

For our OP, it is true that Hawaii is not the place where most of us here believe that FS most shines. The FS resorts in Hawaii (as is true with most of the "luxury" resorts in Hawaii) are much larger, much more crowded, and therefore offer much less personalized service than might be true for FS properties located in other locations. Some people in this Luxury Hotels Forum don't believe there is any luxury hotel in Hawaii that really delivers based on the prices charged. The only exceptions might be the FS Lanai or the St Regis Princeville--but even those can be more expensive than what you might find at much nicer resorts in Mexico, for example.

For our OP, if I am correct in assessing that you don't have much experience with a luxury hotel, I would highly recommend you listen to the opinions of so many here in this Forum. For the prices you might pay to stay at the FS Maui, you can do a LOT better in other locations outside Hawaii.

If the OP absolutely wants to be in Hawaii, you could do far worse than the FS Maui. But the FS Lanai and even FS Hualalai are better.

But for the same $$$, the OP can do much better at luxury resorts elsewhere. If one is trying to stay in the USA, I'd wait to see if the St Regis Bahia Beach or Ritz-Carlton Reserve Dorado, both in Puerto Rico, reopen this fall as scheduled. if one is trying to stay in N America, I'd recommend the St Regis or FS Punta Mita or one of the Cabo resorts (Ventanas, Pedregal, Esperanza, Palmilla) over anything in Hawaii. If willing to go a little farther afield, I'd recommend Mukul in Nicaragua over any of those as an even better honeymoon destination with a lot of privacy, amazing beach, amazing food/beverage, excellent service, wonderful weather, etc.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Some people in this Luxury Hotels Forum don't believe there is any luxury hotel in Hawaii that really delivers based on the prices charged.
That would be me

And add me to the formal roll call of "no votes" for FS Maui for a special (any?) occasion.

Regards
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 3:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by scubadu
That would be me

And add me to the formal roll call of "no votes" for FS Maui for a special (any?) occasion.

Regards
Me, too. Though using points to stay at the St Regis Princeville is an exception—and paying to stay there as a Plat100 Ambassador guest with both a likely suite upgrade and the concomitant exceptional service and recognition that often feels Aman-like.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 4:49 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite

Me, too. Though using points to stay at the St Regis Princeville is an exception—and paying to stay there as a Plat100 Ambassador guest with both a likely suite upgrade and the concomitant exceptional service and recognition that often feels Aman-like.
We can (already have?) agree to disagree on this. Not my favourite StR, and leaving it at that.

More to the point of the thread: Princeville may be a suboptimal location for some guests, depending on what you are looking for. There are fewer dining, entertaining, and activity options there than there are on Maui. By a large margin. Again, totally depends on what our OP wants out of his experience. But if they like getting out and nightlife, etc. that is the wrong location IMO.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:06 pm
Suspended

Though using points to stay at the St Regis Princeville is an exception—and paying to stay there as a Plat100 Ambassador guest with both a likely suite upgrade and the concomitant exceptional service and recognition that often feels Aman-like.
Originally Posted by ridefar
We can (already have?) agree to disagree on this. Not my favourite StR, and leaving it at that.

More to the point of the thread: Princeville may be a suboptimal location for some guests, depending on what you are looking for. There are fewer dining, entertaining, and activity options there than there are on Maui. By a large margin. Again, totally depends on what our OP wants out of his experience. But if they like getting out and nightlife, etc. that is the wrong location IMO.
I think your bias against the StR Princeville is playing out here. For value, a free award stay on points at the StR Princeville is unquestionably the best luxury value if ever there was one in all of ridiculously overpriced Hawaii--especially for a honeymoon.

The OP is going for their honeymoon. I assumed nightlife wouldn't be a priority. I would assume having a beautiful view with nice weather and lots of outdoor/romantic things to do would trump nightlife. I suggested Mukul in Nicaragua for the same reason. I also suggested many other locations, such as Punta Mita, Cabo, etc.that offer more nightlife.

Princeville--and the St Regis, in particular--has the most spectacular view of anywhere in the Hawaiian islands. Clearly, season will make a difference for the destination whether it be Princeville or anywhere in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc. Princeville is rainy during the holidays; it isn't rainy during the dry season from April to October.
KI-NRT likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 5:49 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
I'm a FSPP Advisor and love FS but even I would avoid FS Maui...not just for Honeymoon but in general. FS Lanai, however, is a great choice for Honeymoon in Hawaii, if you're open to options outside of Maui. Especially now that Lanai can be reached directly via FS's own small charter plane from HNL airport for about $500 per couple.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 6:19 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
Princeville--and the St Regis, in particular--has the most spectacular view of anywhere in the Hawaiian islands. Clearly, season will make a difference for the destination whether it be Princeville or anywhere in Mexico, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, etc. Princeville is rainy during the holidays; it isn't rainy during the dry season from April to October.
Agree 100%. There are quite a few world-class beach resorts across the globe, but Hawaii doesn't have any.

Why does Princeville make my list, then? Because of the unbelievable setting - it has jaw-dropping views, and the beach is decent, too. The hard product isn't too shabby, either, especially if you stay at least in the St. Regis Ocean View Suite.

Kauai also has some of the best hiking trails. We're big nature freaks, and have done numerous hikes on all of the islands, and Kauai is numero uno in this regard. Princeville lies in close proximity to the epic Kalalau Trail. Also, although they're much further afield, you can take a day trip and hike both the Alakai Swamp and the Kawaikoi Stream Trails, which are also awesome.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10

Dont mean to be too blunt...it’s just the property is a 380 room resort factory that might not be ideal for the perfect honeymoon. Don’t get me wrong, if you aren’t used to luxury properties it will be way nicer than you are used to (and also WAY more expensive).

Citi prestige with 4th night free at FS Lanai might be something to think about. I believe FSPP could stack the $100 resort credit/day offer with FSPP benefits if you decide to stay with FS Maui
By all means, I appreciate the bluntness. That's what I am looking for in asking. Takes too long to go back and forth with some of the questions "how dd you decide on Maui FS, etc" Really appreciate your suggestions though. Will certainly look into Lanai. We decided on FS Maui to have something more "upscale" if you will because we are staying at Travassa Hana in an ocean front cottage for a few nights after leaving our initial stay at Maui FS or wherever that may end up being. After Travaasa Hana we are staying at the Grand Hyatt Kauai for 5 nights before heading home (Florida). Everything is booked with the exception of the FS Maui part of the trip.

To be 100% honest, I would be lying if I said I didn't have any reservations about FS Maui. Feel like there's a better chance to be let down than blown away when considering price and experienced among others. I know it's "upscale" and the popular place so to speak, but there is a part of me that feels it may come up short in the "honeymoon" experience department. Can't explain it.

May I ask your opinion on best honeymoon stay in Maui (outside of FS Lanai)? Is there any resort that has more of a honeymoon, Bora Bora/Maldives type feel (I know there are no over water bungalows). talking more atmosphere, attention, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.