Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Luxury Hotels and Travel
Reload this Page >

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
London hotels with a wealth of detailed posts, 2013 - 2017

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxury-hotels-travel/1475602-london-luxury-hotel.html
Print Wikipost

London Hotel Recommendations (newer consolidated thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:36 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

This thread will become the new consolidated London thread. I have closed the old one, which has many useful posts, it is located at

London Luxury Hotel

RichardInSF, moderator, luxury hotels and travel
obscure2k, FlyerEC and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:50 am
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Not a popular choice but I'd also love to see the newly renovated Mandarin Oriental, once completed in June.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
wow, busy thread.

Halkin I think hits the modern/cool/lux items you spoke about in your first post OP, but the bathroom and shower isn't very slick for a top level suite.
Rate point is certainly attractive

Four Seasons Park Lane is the location you are looking for over ten trinity... BUT I think 45 Park Lane and a London Balcony Suite will hit the modern/cool vibe you are looking for.

I'll also toss out The Stafford Hotel at Green Park as being super popular with Americans. Improved F&B now and the new carriage house 1 bedroom suites by Champalimaud interior designs are lovely (but expensive). The Mews section penthouse is actually a good value albeit it maybe a little dark in some of the decor as that section is already 10 years old.
Busy, indeed! For some reason, I keep going back to 45 Park Lane; my only gripe is, no spa and lack of amenities. However, it looks like they're available at The Dorchester for 45 PL guests. What's the difference between the Park Lane Suite and the London Balcony Suite, other than $800?

The new Mandarin...I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

That's also goof to know: Park Lane over Ten Trinity!

I reached out to The Connaught and the only suite they have available is the Terrace, but I will take MacMyDay's recommendation and pass (Unless he/you guys recommend it over the Connaught Suite or Sutherland Suite). I'm waiting to hear back from The Berkeley regarding their signature suites.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:43 pm
formerly htang333
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, Top Ranked: Four Seasons (Top 25 Advisor), AMAN (Top 50), Rosewood, Hyatt Prive, etc.
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
Busy, indeed! For some reason, I keep going back to 45 Park Lane; my only gripe is, no spa and lack of amenities. However, it looks like they're available at The Dorchester for 45 PL guests. What's the difference between the Park Lane Suite and the London Balcony Suite, other than $800?

The new Mandarin...I'll have to check it out! Thanks!

That's also goof to know: Park Lane over Ten Trinity!

I reached out to The Connaught and the only suite they have available is the Terrace, but I will take MacMyDay's recommendation and pass (Unless he/you guys recommend it over the Connaught Suite or Sutherland Suite). I'm waiting to hear back from The Berkeley regarding their signature suites.
I would also vote for 45 Park Lane...the last client I booked there (from this form) received a 7 category upgrade on arrival...obviously not saying that's going to happen to everyone and that was a rare occurrence (usually just 1 or 2 categories) but they do try their best to deliver a great soft product in multiple aspects of the stay. But, as MacMyDay has pointed out, perfection does not exist.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by BESVISOR
Not a popular choice but I'd also love to see the newly renovated Mandarin Oriental, once completed in June.
I have faith in MO, and London should really be a popular choice. Other properties have had comebacks following renovations and management changes, so I hope that will be the case here.
BESVISOR likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 4:38 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I have faith in MO, and London should really be a popular choice. Other properties have had comebacks following renovations and management changes, so I hope that will be the case here.
I guess that's because you never tried the MO at Columbus Circle in NYC. They treat you very well, if you're famous. Otherwise, fuhgeddaboutit!
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 5:19 pm

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
I guess that's because you never tried the MO at Columbus Circle in NYC. They treat you very well, if you're famous. Otherwise, fuhgeddaboutit!
I like your sense of humor, as always.

I actually have tried MO NY, and believe it or not I got great service. And I am, of course, decidedly not famous or even a regular at that hotel. Maybe I got lucky?

MO is perhaps less consistent from hotel to hotel than some of its main competitors. But, for me the saving grace is that their best properties are among my favorites in the world. Hong Kong and Bangkok in particular are outstanding, and I do also love the Tokyo property. But all of these hotels seem to polarize opinion in this forum.
FlyerEC likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:24 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo

I like your sense of humor, as always.

I actually have tried MO NY, and believe it or not I got great service. And I am, of course, decidedly not famous or even a regular at that hotel. Maybe I got lucky?

MO is perhaps less consistent from hotel to hotel than some of its main competitors. But, for me the saving grace is that their best properties are among my favorites in the world. Hong Kong and Bangkok in particular are outstanding, and I do also love the Tokyo property. But all of these hotels seem to polarize opinion in this forum.
Having stayed at a handful of MOs, I’ve been very disappointed with them all, with the exception of Tokyo . While I would consider LMO if I am ever spending the night in Hong Kong, I don’t think there are any MO properties I want to go out of my way to stay at. Corporate needs to figure out the issue because MO is definitely a brand that seems to be resting on its laurels at this point.

That said, the renovation of the Hyde Park property does look nice but I certainly wouldn’t be running there
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RichardInSF
That's funny. I have had that same experience at other hotels, which I won't mention (**cough** **cough** The Plaza NYC **cough**), but never at the MO, especially not MO NYC. Funny, too, since I am younger and pretty laid back - I don't find a need to buy name brand sweater, jeans, shoes, etc for daily wear (Definitely do not look like a celebrity)...My girlfriend and I - as sick as it may sound - get a kick out of seeing how companies react to 'common folk' / see how people judge a book by its cover. I will, however, be the first to say that presentation is everything. At a business meeting, I'll break out the bespoke suit, shined shoes, tailored shirts and a Patek Philippe; on a regular day, I prefer to just be comfortable. Maybe I'm part of the 'this generation has no class' group, but again, if I'm sitting in the park sipping on a coffee, I'd rather be in jeans and a warm jacket than a suit and a designer coat that is far from warm. Because of this, from what I have read, the Ritz is out of the picture since they do have a dress code. As far as I'm concerned, a dollar is a dollar.

BESVISOR - that's really good to hear regarding 45PL! My girlfriend has a glowing personality and because of it, we're usually upgraded! Believe it or not, kindness gets you pretty dang far - shocking, I know!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:53 pm

45 is definitely still my go to hotel in London and I stay there very regularly when on business. I’ve never stayed and not received an upgrade on arrival - they are very committed to honouring the benefits of the Diamond Club programme. It is one of the best hard products in London (still) and despite the Lanesborough having a shiny new spa I choose 45 over it because the hard product and soft product is better. The Lanesborough suffers from having pokey rooms some of which have a shower over the bath - a big no-no. The service at the Lanesborough can, at times, be indifferent and is a bit cold. 45 all the rooms have separate showers, none of the rooms are small and the service is friendly and ultra efficient. For me, as someone who can take or leave a spa, it ticks all the boxes.
bhrubin and Smrtmom1 like this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 10:45 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jonjparr
45 is definitely still my go to hotel in London and I stay there very regularly when on business. I’ve never stayed and not received an upgrade on arrival - they are very committed to honouring the benefits of the Diamond Club programme. It is one of the best hard products in London (still) and despite the Lanesborough having a shiny new spa I choose 45 over it because the hard product and soft product is better. The Lanesborough suffers from having pokey rooms some of which have a shower over the bath - a big no-no. The service at the Lanesborough can, at times, be indifferent and is a bit cold. 45 all the rooms have separate showers, none of the rooms are small and the service is friendly and ultra efficient. For me, as someone who can take or leave a spa, it ticks all the boxes.
Absolutely! ^^^

That is a very convincing argument for the 45 Park Lane...and all the reasons why I’ve never been a fan of the Lanesborough (even when it was St Regis).
jp-mco likes this.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 11:59 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Originally Posted by EaglesFan0909
What's the difference between the Park Lane Suite and the London Balcony Suite, other than $800?
The private balcony with views over Hyde Park..... pretty fantastic real-estate if you ask me.
Old Apr 29, 2018, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
[QUOTE=bhrubin I’ve never been a fan of the Lanesborough (even when it was St Regis).
[/QUOTE]
That means something

OK, couldn't resist....
MikeFromTokyo and bhrubin like this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin

Absolutely! ^^^

That is a very convincing argument for the 45 Park Lane...and all the reasons why I’ve never been a fan of the Lanesborough (even when it was St Regis).
The Lanesborough really suffers from pokey rooms and the lead in category is so small. Their largest lead in is 27m2 and the largest at 45PL is 37m2. I think they’ve tried to cram too many rooms into the Lanesborough whereas 45PL is only 45 rooms. The biggest difference for me is the service though; the staff are brilliant at 45 and nothing is ever too much trouble. They go out of their way to make things special. A quick example - my most recent stay I was sat having a steak from CUT at the bar (I didn’t want to eat in the restaurant as I was on my own) and after the meal the staff who I’d been having a great conversation with brought me a sampler of 3 desserts from CUT with their compliments. It’s the little things like when I arrive my room is stocked with JING chamomile tea and all the Nespresso pods have been swapped for decaf varieties or being able to have my favourite cocktail from the bar brought to my suite to a staff member coming into the room noticing I have a cold and bringing me a honey, lemon and ginger without even asking.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2018, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ABG
The private balcony with views over Hyde Park..... pretty fantastic real-estate if you ask me.
So, you're saying that it's worth saving $800 for a balcony - got it! I do love when the cheaper option is better! Thanks, ABG!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.