Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Luxury Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2013, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

London Luxury Hotel

My wife and I are going to London to celebrate my 40th birthday. We are going to stay in London for 8 nights and do some day trips, take in some theater, walk the city, etc.

I was going to split the stay between two hotels. We are looking for nice, high-end properties. I have planned to spend the first four nights at The Savoy (Luxury king room) and then am debating between the FS Park Lane (deluxe room) or The Milestone Hotel (deluxe room).

I am fairly set on The Savoy. I am really struggling between the FS and The Milestone. The Milestone gets amazing reviews for service and I think the experience would be more "British" so-to-speak. I am mostly concerned about a cramped room that may feel stuffy and old-style bathrooms. I also feel like Kensington may be a better a different experience compared to Park Lane after 4 nights in the Strand.

The FS appears modern and nice, but I am concerned that it appears not very "British" and more corporate and business-oriented.

Would appreciate thoughts/advice?
I have The Savoy and The Milestone booked through FHR, but the FS directly with FS because of a 4th night free promotion.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:30 am

The Savoy is awful and certainly no longer a 5* hotel. Now managed by Fairmont.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hello doc04 and congratulations on your first post to Flyertalk after a few years!

As for a luxury hotel I don't think the Savoy is necessarily the best choice for luxury- more history certainly interesting and the views of the river can be nice- for luxury I think you will be much happier with the Four Seasons which has very good service. If you want to stay in a hotel with a lot of "old english" style or rather what we foreigners tend to think of as "old english" style the Connaught is wonderful for this purpose and I highly recommend it.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:05 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
When is this big birthday? With the busy period until about 15 July in London, if this is for a short term window, changing to another property might be overly costly. I too would try and talk you out of the Savoy, but with keeping the above in mind

While I like the team at the Milestone, The FS location is tops. If you do keep the Savoy then the FS location could be major plus for those last few days. I suggest you take a look at FS Preferred Partner which is discussed extensively here to combine the 4th night promo with some perks.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:09 am

The Savoy is probably my worst 'luxury' experience.
Four Seasons Park Lane is one of my favorite with the Bvlgari.
Connaught is also a great place (modern wing) with a nice Aman Spa.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:47 am

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
In what way is the Savoy awful? Care to elaborate?
Old Jun 13, 2013, 7:58 am

4S Park Lane or Corinthia hands down.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Pierre&Cédric
The Savoy is probably my worst 'luxury' experience.
Four Seasons Park Lane is one of my favorite with the Bvlgari.
Connaught is also a great place (modern wing) with a nice Aman Spa.
I tend to disagree with those trashing the Savoy. Yes, its a Fairmont, what a lost opportunity to have FS manage it..

But, I have stayed at all of London's properties great and not so great, and found it to be my second or third favorite hotel in London after the FS and on some rare occasions, the Lanesborough. It really depends on the room you book, and I would advise the River View Room.

The Dorchester was dreadful; the Connaught was so so except for the Aman spa, but I much preferred the FS spa; the FS Park Lane is a little bit bland and the rooms are small but has the best service in town; Claridge's seems to have renovations but they never amount to much; Bulgari Resorts and Hotels has always annoyed me with the over-use of their brand, Bulgari this, Bulgari that, etc, but I would say their rooms are nearly on par as 45 Park Lane. The pool is special; 45 Park Lane has the best rooms but so little else to offer.

The Corinthia is a good 4 star plus hotel at best.

Last edited by Blackbook; Jun 13, 2013 at 8:14 am
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:26 am

Programs: amex platinum, american advantage, united, ANA, JAP. SPG, marriott
I have to add my dislike for the Savoy to others here. The only possible reason to stay there is a river view room and for that money there are so many better places. Yes, FS is generic with no British charm at all but it's a superb hotel. I also like 45 Park. If you really want British charm I'd step down one notch and try the Covent Garden.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by wripro
I have to add my dislike for the Savoy to others here. The only possible reason to stay there is a river view room and for that money there are so many better places. Yes, FS is generic with no British charm at all but it's a superb hotel. I also like 45 Park. If you really want British charm I'd step down one notch and try the Covent Garden.
I totally agree with you! But I don't feel like I'm stepping down when I stay here - it is a really well run hotel and VERY English compared to the others mentioned here.

I would avoid The Milestone at all cost - not a patch on Covent Garden Hotel!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:01 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Is there another city whose luxury hotels so divide us? This is a rich and fascinating thread.

My perspective is similar to Blackbook's:

I love the Savoy's suites and bathrooms. There is no spa, which is surprising, and the food is just average, but i really like the look and feel of the place. It is among my favorite 2-3 hotels in London.

I won't stay at FS Park Lane again, as the design was just too corporate and bland for my taste. By far the best service i have experienced in a London hotel, and the public areas in the ground floor are terrific.

I have not stayed at the Milestone, but i like the idea of a more intimate hotel if you start at the big and bustling Savoy.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:42 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by speedbird001
The Savoy is awful and certainly no longer a 5* hotel. Now managed by Fairmont.
I agree. I checked in. Then I got hassled because of my casual attire. I could not get across the lobby without being stopped by security. I wasn't allowed into the bar nor the restaurant. I promptly checked out and became hotel-less. The Lanesborough came to my rescue, so I didn't have to sleep in the streets.

As to the Savoy -- I will never return. I will never even CONSIDER returning to the Savoy. The Savoy has worked hard to join a very select personal s-list that includes Plaza New York, PH Tokyo, Alpina Gstaad, and Caneel Bay.

Others here can argue FS PL vs FS CW vs Lanesborough vs Connaught et al. London has a lot of good choices. But the Savoy ain't on that list.

Personally, I preferred the Lanesborough to FS PL.
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold, SWA CP
Originally Posted by Groombridge
Is there another city whose luxury hotels so divide us?
Yes actually. Singapore. I have the misfortune of leaving for that city on Sunday.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by mike_la_jolla
Yes actually. Singapore. I have the misfortune of leaving for that city on Sunday.
I do agree on that. I prefer the RC and MO in terms of facilities, but prefer the size and service of the FS.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 5:11 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Not very good feedback on the Savoy. I have an upcoming stay at this hotel for 6 nights. Used to stay at the FS London but want to experience something new for a change this time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.